Author Topic: Light-hearted reads?  (Read 26359 times)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Light-hearted reads?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 05:57:36 am »
Blood Lite anthology
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 07:57:04 am »
Yay!! Lots of recommendations. My Amazon wish list thanks you. (Or curses you, I'm not sure which.)

I'll probably try most of them. Although, I have to admit, I just can't bring myself to read the Nascar ones. I live in total Nascar territory, and ... I just can't. I can't even think of a Wales-ian corollary to explain, Mid. LOL

Also, I've started the first of the Aisling Dragon books by Katie McCallister, and had to stop because I thought she was TSTL. REALLY? She sees a demon in Drake's security room TURNING OFF ALL OF HIS SECURITY FEEDS and thinks he's in league with DRAKE???? Oy. I'll be willing to stick it out if she gets less stupid in later books, though. I had the same reaction to the first of the Fever books, too, and ended up completely sucked in on the later ones.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 08:05:38 am »
Doppelgangster by Laura Resnick.  Very Funny.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 08:06:35 am »
If you can get them for Kindle (which I doubt, they're so old) any of the "Saint" books by Leslie Charteris.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 08:16:01 am »
I would always recommend to go for some of Robert Sheckley's work, when looking for something light-hearted.
He wrote brilliant, satirical Sci-Fi short stories.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

lilliana

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 08:34:34 am »
Kate - Have you read Molly Harper's Jane Jameson series. It's laugh out loud funny and the books are not short. There are 3 in the series as of right now. I love this series. It is similar to Mary Janice Davidson's Queen Betsy series but I think its so much better. :) Molly Harper also has a romance book coming out called And One Last Thing... I'm looking forward to that book. Molly Harper is looking for people to review this book - check out her blog.

http://www.singleundeadfemale.blogspot.com/

:D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:15 am »
Kate, have you tried "Covenants" by Lorna Freeman yet?  I don't know if it's in an ebook format, but I do love the book.  While it has some serious stuff, the general tone is pretty light and the action keeps on moving all the time.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24:19 am »
Now I can't answer for ebooks, but in paper books,  Covenants and King's own are at best expensive to find. :-'

I found and liked Shadows Past, the 3rd in the series, but now I REALLY want the other 2.  I found 1 copy in the whole Chicago Public Libray.  I'm on the list.  Sigh.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 09:26:04 am »
Inform the publishers that you want it, see if they will do a new issue.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:13 am »
Now I can't answer for ebooks, but in paper books,  Covenants and King's own are at best expensive to find. :-'

I found and liked Shadows Past, the 3rd in the series, but now I REALLY want the other 2.  I found 1 copy in the whole Chicago Public Libray.  I'm on the list.  Sigh.
Amazon seems to have Covenants starting at $4.95 jackie :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 01:45:02 pm »
Robert McLiam Wilson's Eureka Street, Steven Hall's The raw shark texts, Sharon Krum's The thing about Jane Spring (this one's hilarious!), Maeve Binchy's Whitethorn Woods, Michael Collins' The emerald underground. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 02:05:29 pm »
*grins* Heh, all I know about Nascar is that they race around in a circle very fast, but not as fast as formula one cars. ;)

I looked through my past ebook purchases to look for more titles for you.

There's the Demon Slayers series by Angie Fox, and that's paranormal light hearted romance.

Tales of an Extraordinary Girl and Twice as Hot by Gena Showalter. Supernatural books about a heroine who accidentally takes a dose of a chemical mixture that makes her into a supernatural being that starts fires, and a whole lot more. I loved these books. Very funny and light, but has depth. And features other characters who have powers, and the hero is hawt!

Something About You by Julie James is a great contemporary romance. It's probably one of my top contemporary romances this year so far. :)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 03:17:45 pm »
:-LOVE you guys.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »
mid, I tried to read the first book in the Demon Slayer series and barely made it through the first few chapters. I returned the book to the library, but maybe Kate will enjoy it.

I do receommend the Lorna Freeman books. Varg got me into those and they are very good. They def have some laugh out scenes.

Good luck Kate!!
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 03:46:27 pm »
Huh, what an interesting thread! Thanks Kate  :D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden