Author Topic: Light-hearted reads?  (Read 26358 times)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
Light-hearted reads?
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:50:14 pm »
So I've had a lot of crap going on lately, and am not quite mentally available for my usual dark, emotionally complex books. I've been searching for light-hearted reads. For example, similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, before she wrote the same plot for the fifteenth time. I've read (and recommend, for others looking for light-hearted reads):

Lisa Shearin
Most of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
Gail Carriger
A couple of Mary Janice Davidson's "Undead" series, but they're so short that I'm cranky about paying for them. LOL
I tried one of Katie McCallister's series, but found the heroine TSTL (too stupid to live). Am worried to try another one.
Christine Warren, but the next one in her series isn't well reviewed.
DD Barant (which does have some depth, but has good humor to make up for it)

I'd be cool with some random silly historical fiction, too. I have liked some Amanda Quick and Julia Quinn.

HELP!

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: Light-hearted reads?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »
Have you ever read Connie Willis's book, To Say Nothing of the Dog?  Or Bellwether?  (same author)  Light and fun.

Tom Holt does humor.  And DD Barant has a new book out.

Moira J. Moore's Resenting the Hero?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:55:34 pm by Ellyll »
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:03 pm »
Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series.  Very light and fun, romancy novels.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:57:20 pm »
I suggested this elsewhere, but what about John de Chancie's Castle Perilous books? Light, funny, easy reading :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »
Oh, I remember those, charmed.  Those were fun.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »
LOVE Nalini Singh. Have devoured everything of hers! And downloaded the latest DD Barant the day it came out.

Connie Willis is a possibility. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to read her stuff tonight. LOL

I have read the first two (or three) Moira Moore books. Have you read beyond that? They seem like they might get a bit repetitive. But if you tell me otherwise, I'll believe you. We seem to have similar taste. ;)

John de Chancie's books aren't out on Kindle.  >:( But I'll keep an eye out for them in paperback. They look fun.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06:25 pm »
I know what you mean about Connie Willis.  Try Bellwether then.  It's short, light and one of my comfort reads.

I'm still liking the Heroes books.  She's moved the characters into an interesting relationship space, and she's got some sort of slow-growing plot elements that I want to watch.   If you haven't read the third one, though, I'd save it for another day.  It's not dark (none of her stuff is), but it might not be the one for tonight.  :-\

Oh, have you ever read Howl's Moving Castle?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:08:21 pm by Ellyll »

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »
No, I haven't read that one. I thought that was a graphic novel?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
Not originally, anyhow.  Book.  Very light and fluffy, but the Wizard Howl is a real hoot.

And it has a Sophie, who's very funny.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »
Good to know. I think I might try a historical -- one of the Julia Quinn ones -- for tonight. Maybe pick up the next Heroes book over the weekend. I've got the Connie Willis books on my wish list so I don't forget about them.

In the meantime, please anyone, feel free to add recommendations. I go through random periods of wanting "cotton-candy" reads, and I feel like I've about exhausted my known supply at this point!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »
Lee Martinez "Gil's All Fright Diner"

Derek's Bane by Mary Janice Davidson - her werewolves are as insane as her vampires.

The semi-sequel to "Howl's Moving Castle", "Castle in the Air", and in the same universe, "House of Many Doors", I think?  Try most of Diana Wynne Jones, in fact, most of them aren't dark. 
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:45:47 pm »
The Dark Lord of Dirkholm and The Year of the Griffin... :-LOVE

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:25 am »
Kate- Touched by an Alien!!!
Loved it - funny, witty and very sexy. Think Men in Black crossed with a sexy romance. Its lighthearted and the heroine kills aliens with hairspray :D

Another fluffy one is Katie Macallister's Dragon books she also writes in other genres. Thing with her I find her heroines a bit annoying so keep that in mind.

I was recently recommended which I got is Shelly Fredman- not sure if her books are available via the Kindle. But I got There is no Such Thing as  a Free Lunch, and my friend recced that it was similar to Stephanie Plum but it had more depth and development.
Another one is Tony Mcgee Causey - similar to the Plum series too but I think they are sexier  :D Charmed and Dangerous is her first book- has a heroine who is slightly insane called Bobbi Faye
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:18 am »
Kate, do you read contemporary romance?

The Fast Track series by Erin McCarthy is very fun, and enjoyable. Very sexy books about nascar drivers as the heroes, and very likeable heroines. :)

There's the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas - which I adore. It's still ongoing. It's historical romance featuring the eccentric - but loveable - Hathaway family, and each sibling has/is getting their own book.

What Happens in London by Julia Quinn is a fabulous, and sweet read. Very witty also!

Has mentioned the Dragon series by Katie MacAlister. I really like the Dragon series - there's two series. One is complete, and the other is ongoing.

Kate Noble's Compromised is a historical romance, and is not a very heavy read. I enjoyed it quite a lot. :)

There's the Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery series by Rhonda Pollero. Similar to Janet Evanovich, but it doesn't have the goofball type comedy.

There's the Body Mover series by Stephanie Bond. They are very lighthearted, and I enjoyed the first three books, but I was pretty meh on the last couple. But similar again to Janet Evanovich, but instead of two male interests, there are three.

That's what I can think of now at the top of my head. :D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 05:42:39 am »
Summon the Keeper, by Tanya Huff.