Author Topic: Carolyn Crane  (Read 5855 times)

lilliana

Carolyn Crane
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:20:08 am »
Has anyone read Mind Games yet? I loved this book. It has a mix of UF, PR, and psychological fantasy (if that is even considered a category, if not, it should be.  ;D ) It is edgy, witty, extremely well-written and I really like the heroine, Justine Jones. She is intuitive, smart and fights with her mind not her fists. This book has been compared to have a slight Quentin Terantino feel to it. I agree to an extent. It was twisty and not at all how I thought it would end. This will be a trilogy and the next book Double Cross will be released September 28, 2010. I'm completely excited and looking forward to the next book.  :D

Here is Mind Games description from Amazon:

JUSTINE KNOWS SHE’S GOING TO DIE. ANY SECOND NOW.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem.

Or is it? In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness—only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.

mystify

• Mechanic
Re: Carolyn Crane
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:20 am »
Oh, I was waiting for someone to discuss this book. I loved it! Justine was such a great heroine. There's nothing wrong with the kick-a$$ women, but sometimes I get tired of them in books and I love seeing someone a little different. Justine has her issues but she is also so normal....like a girlfriend I would go shopping with.

I'm so looking forward to the next book. I'm such a Packard fan. I don't want to see her end up with Otto Sanchez. I don't know why, but I just don't really trust him.  Of course, I'm reserving the right to change my mind since the series isn't over yet.  :D

Goodreads has this up on the site for Double Cross (book 2):

Justine Jones has lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she's lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard. He gifts her with extraordinary mental powers-dooming her to fight Midcity's shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.
But now, serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard - and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity's new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.
As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men . . . one on a journey of redemption, and the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.

lilliana

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »
I agree, I wanted her to end up with Packard too. But...there are 2 more books. We shall see what happens.

Who is really the bad guy?  ;D

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »

The line in the teaser for the next book just kills me... an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men...one on a journey of redemption, and the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.  I'm dying to know which man is which.  :)  But it wouldn't be the first time I'm changed my mind about a guy as a series goes on.

lilliana

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:41:15 am »
I actually like both men for once. Packard, however is dipicted as the bad boy and I am drawn to bad boys.  >D

I love this quote:

Justine:"Fashion magazine disease articles. My personal kryptonite."

There were so many strange scenes where I was just like this is so funny yet...odd.
  LOL

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:24:16 am »
I just finished this one, and it was really good.  I can't remember the last book I've read where I still didn't know who the bad guy was by the end of the book.  ;D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

lilliana

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:26:27 am »
oh I know! The title Mind Games is pretty accurate indeed.  ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:54 am »
It was.  But I liked the way it played out.  In life, it often is really hard to figure out who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

lilliana

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:16 am »
That's a very intuitive statement and its so true!  :D

Raven

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:54:13 am »
Just read book 1.  LOVED IT. I love Packard but (dammit) I ended up liking Otto too!! Loved how Packard tells Justine she chose the wrong guy.
It's different...read like a thriller.  Loved it. 
I got book 2 today.  I'm so excited to read it!