Author Topic: Kalayna Price  (Read 2769 times)

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Kalayna Price
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
Once Bitten and Twice Dead were both lent to me by my sister and I really enjoyed them both.

Once Bitten took me a little while to get into and it had a very YA feel to it. I have since read on Kalayna's website that while the first book has a definite YA vibe since she herself was young when writing it and the main character is also very young, the books are not YA and do get progressively darker and smexier. As the first book progressed I got right into it and I absolutely enjoyed Twice Dead.

The Haven Novels, consisting of ONCE BITTEN (January 2009), TWICE DEAD (February 2010), and THIRD BLOOD (2011), follow the story of Kita Nekai, a kitten shapeshifter on the run from her clan and responsibilities, who is turned into a vampire and entangled in the supernatural underworld -quote from Kalayna's website

There are, of course, two dreamy men. I like them both but the one is a definite bad boy and has the potential to earn a "Mmmm" prefix. I'm not sure if he will yet but I hope so  :-LOVE

http://www.kalayna.com/books.html

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
Re: Kalayna Price
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00:09 am »
I enjoyed Once Bitten but I have to admit that I wasn't sure I wanted to pay as much as Amazon wanted to charge me for the sequel. (Last time I looked it was $10.) It would have to be better than the first for me to pay that. What do you think, Art? Is it worth it?

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:35:43 am »
The second is definitely much better, Kita isn't quite as immature and there is better character development.

It's still not as good as a few of your favorites but it has so much potential that I can't wait to read the third one. If you have lots of books to read then I'd wait for the price to drop or get it on sale but if you're stuck for reading go ahead and get it.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:14:40 am »
Has anyone read "Grave Witch"?

I just finished it and really enjoyed it. There were a few things that were too abrupt or not answered quite enough but Kalayna's style has definitely improved from the Haven series.

Here is the back cover blurb:

Grave witch Alex Craft can speak to the dead, but that doesn’t mean she likes what they have to say . . .

As a private investigator and consultant for the police, Alex Craft has seen a lot of dark magic. But even though she’s on good terms with Death himself—who happens to look fantastic in a pair of jeans—nothing has prepared her for her latest case. Alex is investigating a high profile murder when she’s attacked by the ‘shade’ she’s raising, which should be impossible. To top off her day, someone makes a serious attempt on her life, but Death saves her. Guess he likes having her around . . .

To solve this case Alex will have to team up with tough homicide detective Falin Andrews. Falin seems to be hiding something—though it’s certainly not his dislike of Alex—but Alex knows she needs his help to navigate the tangled webs of mortal and paranormal politics, and to track down a killer wielding a magic so malevolent, it may cost Alex her life . . . and her soul.

Oh, and someone very familiar wrote the front cover quote  ;D :

"A rare treat, intriguing and original. Don't miss this one.”

–New York Times bestselling Author Patricia Briggs

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
Art, I read it a while back and really enjoyed it. Like you, I thought she had definitely improved as a writer. I'm looking forward to the new entries in this series. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:06:28 am »
I love her Grave Witch series. I finished the latest entry, Grave Memory, last week and stayed up all hours of the night reading it. I loved it. SO good!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)