Author Topic: Jennifer Estep  (Read 30638 times)

lilliana

Jennifer Estep
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:31 am »
Spider's Bite: An Elemental Assassin Book by Jennifer Estep (Next book coming out May 25th called Web of Lies)

This book had me at the opening line...

"My name is Gin, and I kill people."

Here is the description from Barnes & Noble:

They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South — when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way — good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this coldhearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

Description from Publishers Weekly:

Bodies litter the pages of this first entry in Estep’s engrossing Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. In the corrupt Southern metropolis of Ashland, weather witches mingle with vampires, giants, and dwarves. A mysterious client hires assassin Gin Blanco, known as the Spider, to murder a whistle-blowing financial officer named Gordon Giles. Then the client attempts a double cross and brutally kills Gin’s mentor. Now Gin, a stone elemental with a hard-boiled attitude, a closely guarded heart, and a penchant for throwing knives, has to join forces with one of the few honest cops in Ashland, sexy detective Donovan Caine, who hates her for killing his partner. Fans of Estep’s humorous paranormal romances (Jinx; Hot Mama) may be taken aback by the gritty violence and steamy sex, but urban fantasy fans will love it.

This book is a great read. It's fast-paced, dark, gritty, and has a kick butt heroine. I recommend it! :D

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Re: Jennifer Estep
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:29 am »
I read it about a month ago and really enjoyed it too. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. Can't wait for the next one!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

lilliana

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:39:17 am »
It was different from what I expected too. And the ending was unexpected. I'm looking forward to the next book too!  :)

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:48:29 am »
Oh, I want to read this! I read all of her super hero books (can't think of the names right now) and thought they were so entertaining, if a little bit silly. I've been looking forward to something else from her.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:14 am »
I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »
Both of the next books are released this year! Web of Lies in June and Venom in October!!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

lilliana

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:45:10 am »
That's great! I'm looking forward to reading them!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:34:10 pm »
Web of Lies is great! I really enjoyed it and now I definitely can't wait to read the next one. This is an awesome series!

*bookpusher vibes sent to all of Hurog*

Seriously, you guys need to read this book  :D

lilliana

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 03:08:47 am »
Web of Lies is being shipped today! I have heard lots of positive things about this book and I can't wait to read it.  bOuNcY

lilliana

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:39 am »
Loved Web of Lies! I'm with Art -- I highly recommend this series!

I'm glad Donavan is gone - what a jerk. I like the new love interest, Own Grayson. Mmm.

I can't wait for Venom!  :D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:35 am »
Just bought Spider's Bite. Will start it tonight. I hope it's worth it. :D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:42:03 am »
I put both books in my next booksplurge. :P I take my bookpusher fellows seriously. >D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
 LOL I'm glad you like it Maz. This thread is way too quiet  >D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:47 am »
Finished Spider's Bite a few days ago. Brilliant! I was hooked from the start. And that was one of the best opening chapters. Right down to business.

Am impatiently waiting for Web of Lies!

lilliana

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:45:51 am »
Glad you liked it!  :D Gin rocks!