Author Topic: Louisa May Alcott  (Read 2870 times)

Addicted Gamer

• Grease Monkey
Louisa May Alcott
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:57:10 am »
I am totally mystified to the fact that there is no thread on Louisa May Alcott, whereas Jane Austen has one and one for the Bront├ęs!!

I started reading lots of books, starting from my early teens. One of my earliest favorites besides Agatha Christie was Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women". The book is in Dutch and it also includes the 2nd half "Good Wives". (This one I bought I think 2 years ago on the book market as part of my unforgettable books collection).
I kept re-borrowing and rereading this book and found out later (on internet) that the book has 2 sequels:
1) Little Men: Life at Plumfield with Jo's Boys (1871)
2) Jo's Boys and How They Turned Out (1886)
Unfortunately it took something like 10 years for me to find out, and fortunately there was the internet and Amazom where I ordered both.
And now my "Little Women" collection is complete (well the books are from different publishers and therefore have different covers, but WHO CARES!! I HAVE THEM ALL MWUAHAHAHAH) AHEM.
Also I have the Penguin's illustrated book from the 90's and a children's illustrated book from Taiwan. Shows how much I love this book.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:14:58 am by Addicted Gamer »

Janilee

Re: Louisa May Alcott
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
Do you know any of the other story series she wrote. At one point in time I had read most of her books. I never got to finish Under the Lilacs. I credit my vocabulary to the fact I read nineteenth century literature as a young person.

Addicted Gamer

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »
Do you know any of the other story series she wrote. At one point in time I had read most of her books. I never got to finish Under the Lilacs. I credit my vocabulary to the fact I read nineteenth century literature as a young person.

Ahh, I credit my vocabulary to the fact that I read many, many books around my 15th (I even read Les Miserables in Dutch).
As for her other books.....I have only read Little Women up till Jo's Boys and How They Turned Out.

Janilee

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:57 am »
The other stories are interesting. The fact that they are not based upon her life gave her more freedom to create.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:02:55 am »
WE had shelf of Classics that I read as a kid, Including Louisa May Alcott. I liked them, even if they were "mushy"  LOL

Much of her work is available for free download here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/a#a102

And here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#alcott