Author Topic: Hunting Ground: Question about Paganini  (Read 3129 times)

script_ed

• Tool Wrangler
Hunting Ground: Question about Paganini
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »
Hi, new poster and I just finished reading the A&O novels and I had a question about Hunting Ground:

In the car Anna and Charles are discussing why the fae can't replicate soulful paintings and Anna relates it to Paganini. Forgive my ignorance on classical music, but what relevance does Paganini specifically have to do with their conversation?
Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.
- William James (1842-1910)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Hunting Ground: Question about Paganini
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:25:33 am »
Paganini was an awesome composer and violinist.  But his music was very non-conventional, often imitating animals or even lovers.  He invented not one, but several, new techniques for the violin.  His music was considered obscene by the church, and sharply criticized by numerous experts at the time.  It was sometimes uncomfortable to listen to -- it's still strange and alien sounding.  Paganini is not only technically difficult, it requires vastly more musical interpretation from the performer than most pieces.  Paganini must be felt, not simply mechanically performed.
Where's my super-suit?

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Hunting Ground: Question about Paganini
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:10 am »
What they said  :P  There were rumors that Paganini was possessed by the devil because his music was so wild.
Patty