Author Topic: Lisa Shearin  (Read 26720 times)

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
Lisa Shearin
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:31:31 am »
I just finished "Magic Lost, Trouble Found" by Lisa Shearin and I really enjoyed it.

Contrary to what the cover of the book seems to indicate, Raine Baenares is one tough chick...err..elf.  (the book cover is very...well... don't judge the book buy the cover is what I'm saying)

(and how often do you find a book that makes the goblins -yes goblins-as sexy as the elves)?   :)
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Lisa Shearin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:47 am »
This was a good book, especially for a first-time author. I anticipate the sequels will be even better.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:18:25 pm »
I was going to start a thread to pimp this book out lol

I agree I just finished it and it was fantastic and I like the irreverent characters, tone and fast plot. It was a fun great read and I am eagerly awaiting for the follow up. I went on Lisa's site and she has recently signed on to do 3 more books. There is also the first 2 chapters of Armed and Magical up. I am glad I picked up the book despite the cover which isn't bad it just didn't fit the tone or feel of the book.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:16:38 pm »
I was going to start a thread to pimp this book out lol

I agree I just finished it and it was fantastic and I like the irreverent characters, tone and fast plot. It was a fun great read and I am eagerly awaiting for the follow up. I went on Lisa's site and she has recently signed on to do 3 more books. There is also the first 2 chapters of Armed and Magical up. I am glad I picked up the book despite the cover which isn't bad it just didn't fit the tone or feel of the book.

Yeah, the cover kinda threw me off - it seemed child-like. I was also glad I bought it anyway. I've found a few gems now that I'm willing to buy more books thanks to paperbackswap.com :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:13:59 am »
Her new book is out.  I'm running into the same problem I ran into with her first book, the cover is just so terrible!  I'm trying to work up the willpower to buy it, but the cover is so deterring!  The first book was actually good, wasn’t it?  ??? I can hardly remember now that I am looking at this cover. ;D ;)

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »
Really? When did it come out? I don't remember being either disturbed or attracted by the cover- I just thought the title was funny. I've been waiting for her second book for ages- I really liked the first one. I can't wait to see what Raine does next! And yes. Sexy goblins are fun. I'm wondering... it's been a while since I read the first one, but there were at least two very nice-looking guys after her. Is this the kind of series that will have a series of cool but not lasting boyfriends like the Sookie Stackhouse ones, or one perfect hero like... hmmm... Mercy (hopefully)?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:40:56 am »
I got so excited b/c her next book isn't supposed to be out until April 29th. You must've come across an early copy, Gwendolynn. I looked on Amazon and it's still showing not published; Sometimes Amazon will start mailing a little before the release date and the link will change colors - this one's still the same.

But yeah, the cover looks like something I would've read as a teen in the 80's. It doesn't match the quality of the writing at all, to me.

You know who else does that? Almost all of Baen's catalog. I don't know who chooses the covers on their books, but they're almost all cartoonish with loud colors. It took me quite a while to actually buy Wen Spencer's Tinker, for example, because of the silliness of the cover. Wow, was I mad at myself! LOVE that book! 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:11:05 pm »
I found this series was more like an Urban fantasy - rather than a straight fantasy although it set in a straight fantasy setting. I hope the covers improve though to reflect that feel because although it has humourous moments in it/ its also pretty dark and that cover totally misleads the reader thinking its a light hearted fantasy which its not :-\
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 06:40:20 pm »
It took me quite a while to actually buy Wen Spencer's Tinker, for example, because of the silliness of the cover. Wow, was I mad at myself! LOVE that book! 

Me too!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:13:22 pm »
Hey Has, I would go with a dark fantasy feel, especially with what the jewel of death does ... very creepy. I looked for this book tonight at BN, but no luck. I'll have to wait until next week ...

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 07:16:20 am »
Armed and Magical is really good.  I finished it this weekend and I am very glad I found it despite the cover.  Hope you guys are able to find a copy.  ;D  I like the sexy goblins!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:06:25 pm by e_booklover »

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:21 am »
Oh yes - I forgot to say I'd read it last week! Very good! I really liked how the characters interact.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10:12 pm »
I am halfway through Armed and Magical and Im loving it :)

But I thought I would post this link to Lisa Shearin's blog- she has some goodies in there. Including a short interview with Tam and Raine and deleted scenes from Magic Lost,Trouble Found.

http://www.lisashearin.com/2007_09_01_archive.html#3515280436260467255

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:08:05 am »
Has,
You always have the best links.  Thanks!   :)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:40:34 am »
I just finished it- And now I have to wait for a whole year for the followup :(

OK I'm torn with her love interests- although I think she has more chemistry with Tam than Mychael. I also loved when she used glamour and got punched in the balls so to speak :D