Author Topic: Favorite Authors?  (Read 45455 times)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
Re: Favorite Authors?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 12:46:20 pm »
yeah all these topics, i need to get to a borders lol  :D

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 02:38:59 pm »
Okay.  Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (team, married) write space opera, wizards & space ships with romance, ditto another married team, Debra Doyle & J. MacDonald (who also write a childrens series about an apprentice wizard & his friends.  Oh, and they've got 1 pb out about the Civil War era & magic on a U.S. ship)  And Patricia C. Wrede's regency romances with wizards, starting with Sourcery & Cecelia.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 02:41:27 pm »
how cool, ive heard of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller but none of the rest

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 02:59:37 pm »
Okay.  Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (team, married) write space opera, wizards & space ships with romance, ditto another married team, Debra Doyle & J. MacDonald (who also write a childrens series about an apprentice wizard & his friends.  Oh, and they've got 1 pb out about the Civil War era & magic on a U.S. ship)  And Patricia C. Wrede's regency romances with wizards, starting with Sourcery & Cecelia.

The Boston Globe today had an article about writers who started out writing out fan fiction and eventually became published authors of their own books. The authors they talked about? Debra Doyle and J MacDonald.

Waaaaay back in college I read Sorcery & Cecelia. I could never remember who wrote it. Now I know.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 03:03:15 pm »
how cool, to go from fan fiction to novels thats gotta be great

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 03:24:55 pm »

The Boston Globe today had an article about writers who started out writing out fan fiction and eventually became published authors of their own books. The authors they talked about? Debra Doyle and J MacDonald.

Waaaaay back in college I read Sorcery & Cecelia. I could never remember who wrote it. Now I know.
She actually co-wrote it with Carol (oh, dear, I'm going to get the spelling wrong!  Oh, wait, I've got one of her other books here.) Make that Caroline Stevermer.  They started it in their writers group as something called 'the persona game' where they each pretended to be a character writing to the other.  The first one to write creates the world it's set in & explains why they are writing instead of picking up the phone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:41:13 pm by Patti L. »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:30 pm »
She actually co-wrote it with Carol (oh, dear, I'm going to get the spelling wrong!  Oh, wait, I've got one of her other books here.) Make that Caroline Stevermer.  They started it in their writers group as something called 'the persona game' where they each pretended to be a character writing to the other.  The first one to write creates the world it's set in & explains why they are writing instead of picking up the phone.

Um, you quoted me but didn't say anything. Don't tell me you're speechless. :D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:30 pm »
No, actually, I accidentally put my reply in the middle of your quote.  I've fixed it now (No baby quotes!), does it make more sense to you?  And good evening, twin.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 03:45:35 pm »
Makes much more sense now, thanks. I thought that there were 2 authors but since I coudln't remember any name, that's ok. :D It was a series? I had no idea, maybe I should check it out.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:03 pm »
i think im going to check it out too

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 03:57:49 pm »
Do, both of you, then go to the other things they wrote. 
Originally it was the one.  Later Wrede did 2 other books in the same world, but with different characters, slightly less funny.  "Marielon the Magician" (I've probably mis-spelled his name, but oh, well.) and the sequel to it, 'The Magician's Ward'.  Later they did the other 2.
Come to think of it, the co-author's other work that I looked up her name on, has 2 that fit this category too.  'A College of Magics', & 'A Scholar of Magics'.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 04:03:18 pm »
how cool i think i will

courtesy of Has

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 08:58:41 am »
Hmmm, this is my favorite genre, so let's see if I can make up a list of urban fantasy:

Lilith Saintcrow (all hail the queen!)
Patty, of course,
Charlaine Harris
Rob Thurman
Carrie Vaughn
Kim Harrison
Jim Butcher
Keri Arthur
Naomi Novik
Karen Chance
Wen Spencer
Laurell K. Hamilton
Mark del Franco
Jeanne C. Stein
Robin McKinley (Sunshine)
Eileen Wilks
Kelley Armstrong
Rachel Vincent
Tanya Huff

Vicki Pettersson is okay, as is Rachel Caine.

And Linnea Sinclair is another of my all-time favorites, but she's more scifi/romance - equally both.

I'll think more on the paranormal romance, but I'll get started some:
Marjorie Liu (***)
JR Ward (***)
CT Adams & Cathy Clamp
Christine Warren
Karen Marie Moning
Lori Handeland
Jacquelyn Frank
Gena Showalter
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lynsay Sands
Shana Abe
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 12:56:35 pm »
sadly thats a lot of names i've never heard of   :(  i'll heck some of them out tbut i doubt i can read them all soon lol

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:03 pm »
I'd be delighted rather than sad, more goodies to look forward to!