Author Topic: Favorite Authors?  (Read 45459 times)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
Favorite Authors?
« on: October 14, 2007, 09:14:26 am »
who do you all think are some of the greatest authors in this genre? thats excluding patricia briggs of course ;)

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Konrad

• Grease Monkey
    • My booklog
Re: Favorite Authors?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 05:24:02 pm »
Jim Butcher
Carrie Vaughn
Jonathan Stroud
Charlaine Harris
Diane Duane
Stephan Zielinski
Kat Richardson
Tanya Huff
C.E. Murphy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:57:11 pm »
First define the genre of which you speak.  This author does at least two, although she's committed to the one for the forseable future.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
In teh werewolf/supernatural/horror genre, I vote for:

Patricia Briggs
Kelley Armstrong
Kim Harrison
Richelle Mead
Charlaine Harris
Brian Keene
Carrie Vaughn
Tanya Huff

Good but not great:

Mary Janice Davidson
Laurell K Hamilton
Katie McAlister
Kat Richardson
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 08:11:07 pm by charmed »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:59:55 pm »
First define the genre of which you speak.  This author does at least two, although she's committed to the one for the forseable future.
im talking about the supernatural genre with maybe a little romonce and horror.  like books with werewolves, vampires, etc.
Patricia Briggs is definitely number 1 on my list, and one of my friends says that Anne Rice is really good too but I've never read any of her books personally.

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »
im talking about the supernatural genre with maybe a little romonce and horror.  like books with werewolves, vampires, etc.
Patricia Briggs is definitely number 1 on my list, and one of my friends says that Anne Rice is really good too but I've never read any of her books personally.
My apologies, and permission to give me a light slap upside the head for not checking the category before blasting off. 
I haven't read any Rice either.  She did an extremely erotic trilogy based on 'beauty & the beast' under a psuedonym, too.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:36:42 pm »
My apologies, and permission to give me a light slap upside the head for not checking the category before blasting off. 
I haven't read any Rice either.  She did an extremely erotic trilogy based on 'beauty & the beast' under a psuedonym, too.
no slap necessary, i don't like to hit people.  yeah my friend said something about that and the interveiw with the vampire and queen of the damned (funny because that's in the 1st line of the new chapter) also being some good books.  i've seen both movies and they weren't bad, she just says that the books were much better.

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:45:12 pm »
Thank you for not slapping me. ;D  I'm also anti-violence, but sometimes you have to shake up the CPU, I think.
As for movie vs. book version, I've expounded on that category more than enough elsewhere.  I think you most likely will find that reading the books now that you've seen the movies will expand the world in your mind.

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:47:58 pm »
no slap necessary, i don't like to hit people.  yeah my friend said something about that and the interveiw with the vampire and queen of the damned (funny because that's in the 1st line of the new chapter) also being some good books.  i've seen both movies and they weren't bad, she just says that the books were much better.

I liked the first three books of A. Rice (Interview with a Vampire - Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - ) but I didn't find the following as interesting.
The movie the Queen of the Damned was a really short version of the book.
She wrote also a good serie about witches (The Mayfair)
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:51:41 pm »
Thank you for not slapping me. ;D  I'm also anti-violence, but sometimes you have to shake up the CPU, I think.
As for movie vs. book version, I've expounded on that category more than enough elsewhere.  I think you most likely will find that reading the books now that you've seen the movies will expand the world in your mind.
yeah  i have the same problem with m computer.  and most of the time i think books are hands down betterthan most of the movies made after the books.  you can really tell emotions more and thoughts are deeper than in movies i think.

courtesy of Has

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:52:47 pm »

I liked the first three books of A. Rice (Interview with a Vampire - Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - ) but I didn't find the following as interesting.
The movie the Queen of the Damned was a really short version of the book.
She wrote also a good serie about witches (The Mayfair)

thats what my friend said. she said that they really left alot out from the books and she was dissappointed by the length of the movie.

courtesy of Has

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 02:15:32 pm »
thats what my friend said. she said that they really left alot out from the books and she was dissappointed by the length of the movie.

But as you saw the movie first you will really enjoy reading the book. The characters  - who appeared at the end to fight the queen - are really developped in it.

and btw the Talamasca is also mentioned is the Mayfair's books.
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 05:42:14 pm »
cool, i guess i'll have to borrow the books from her.

courtesy of Has

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 09:08:31 am »
Hmm, let's see...
Patricia Briggs (;D)
Charlaine Harris
Lilith Saintcrow (it'a all Cerulean's fault!!! >_< great books though ;))
Laurell K. Hamilton (but only 'til Obsidian Butterfly, then I stopped reading her altogether)

I'm still enlarging my horizons, reading a lot of stuff I found around here... ;D

Oh, and I forgot Stephenie Meyer...
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:25:49 am »
Are we including SF background paranormal?  Or is it all in variations on this world?  Or does it include things like regency romance with magic?  I don't know much about the ones in this world beyond authors already mentioned.  On the other two, I can name names.