Author Topic: Steal the Dragon game  (Read 48693 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Steal the Dragon game
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:08:13 pm »
Wow! I like barn owls too... and you did a great job with that one too.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »
*whistles*  Wow.

Looking at the game pieces and the few tidbits we have of how it's played, I wonder if there's also a bit of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" involved in the game play—like the mushroom can poison certain pieces but not others?

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »
Well, I'll let the rest of you debate rules. 
I've got one more piece to share - I've got a challenge going, to knit a pair of socks by the end of the Olympics (and after I got one mostly finished I ran out of yarn and couldn't find another ball of it, so I had to start over) so I haven't been working so much on gamepieces. 
I had someone suggest using silicon to make a mold.  It makes a very flexible, durable mold, but needs some work to get a mold that doesn't have a lot of bubbles in it.  I'm not a fan of working with latex (it makes me break out) which seems to be the normal choice for a flexible mold. 
Anyway here's the rat.  I might re-do its head an ears, they seem a little small, but I'm going to let it percolate for a bit while I finish these socks. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:49:15 pm »
Still really cute. You're very talented.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:30 am »
Pretty!  *grins*

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »
Thanks.

Wow, I had free time today.  It's been a while.  Here's a sparrow!  Hopefully I'll have time for a cat tomorrow. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »
Still cute. :-LOVE

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »
Wow! I'm not sure how I missed this thread but those are amzing Kyria! Thank you so much for sharing!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

mikaela_l

• Tool Wrangler
    • Book Recommendations
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:32 am »
Ooh. The figures are lovely Kyria

Shipa

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 12:33:51 pm »
Wow! These are really fantastic Kyria! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing.
--Henry S. Haskins (1875-1957)

lovingcrew

• Tool Wrangler
  • My lovely kitty.
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 05:00:52 pm »
Wow, your pieces are simply amazing!  And I know how hard it can be to make small things out of clay.  I tried.  I failed. lol  If only Patty remembered the rules!  The game sounded so intriguing in the book.  In fact, I spent a while imagining what rules might go with the game.  I kind of envisioned a chess-checkers cross with miscellaneous cool moves to go with it.  Like if your pieces were arranged in a certain pattern, you could "trap" your opponent's piece and ransom it for another.

I'm getting a little long-winded here, so I'll wrap it up by saying again: awesome job!  I can envision these in the world of Sianam quite easily.   :D

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:18 pm »
lovingcrew - the theory here is that some intrepid soul could possibly come up with rules.  Maybe not quite the same as Patty's originals, unfortunately, but enough that it could be played.  I'm not much good at making up rules to games, so I leave that to others; but I do like making small things. In fact, these gamepieces are on the large size for what I have done in recent years. Next Christmas when I get it out, maybe I'll post my favorite specialty nativity set: "Cowboys and Indians," where the people are about 1/2" tall... or maybe I'll do a set of Mercyverse figurines that size for fun. 

Hmmm... note to self, dig out polymer clay for Mercyverse figurines. 

NONONONONO! Must finish current projects first.  (I'm making a broken star quilt for my best friend's wedding gift, and this game set, and THEN I can start something new)

I finished the cat today, and then looking back at my notes... I could have sworn cat was on the list, but it's not.  Crap.  I'll morph it into a wolf or a fox for tomorrow. 
I still have a Dragon, Stag, Frog, Wolf, Fox, Snake, and Bird to make.  Anybody got a suggestion on the type of bird?  Are we thinking something carnivorous?  something exotic? I'm an ornithologist, if given free reign I'll probably start doing birds and not stop until there are more birds than anything else...
Maybe I'll leave the bird for last. 

lovingcrew

• Tool Wrangler
  • My lovely kitty.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 07:39:12 am »
Kyria: An orthanologist, that explains why your birds are so anatomically correct!  I was marvelling over how you capture the different stances of the GHO and the barn owl (incidentally, barn owls are my favorite, too!) and how correct they are for each one.  Most people don't notice something that detailed.  (I've been a casual bird nut since I was a kid, so I don't have any official expertise but just hours of looking at awesome pictures and vids.)   :-LOVE

I cannot believe how small your other creations are.  I tried making polymer clay figures, as I mentioned, and the only thing I created successfully was quite large in comparison.  I would definitely be interested in seeing those microscopic sculptures when you're done with the Sianam ones, lol.

For the other bird, what about something that has symbolic significance in the world of fantasy?  A phoenix might be a little hard to create, since I envision a plumed tail, but maybe someone has an idea to build off of that one  :D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 07:49:54 am »
I'm not seeing snake or bird on the list. You have sparrow and owl which are the only two birds there. So you're good.

Mushroom
Frog
Snake
Rat
Sparrow
Owl
Fox
Stag
Wolf
Dragon
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:48:10 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
This is the list that I got, I believe from chat, was:

Dragon, Rat, Sparrow, Stag, Frog, Owl, Wolf, Fox, Snake, Bird, and many mushrooms

But I guess I'll have to re-read the book and check into it myself.  I was feeling ambitious last night (ambitious as in, I couldn't get to sleep so instead I was crafting) so I made a snake and most of a frog.  I'll post both of them with the caveat that the snake may or may not be a final gamepiece. 

Thanks, lovingcrew.  I spent last fall working as an intern with birds of prey, which was an amazing experience.  and, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I could fly barn owls every day and never get over the awe I feel watching one fly.  GHOs have a more subtle beauty in many ways: their breast feathers are the colors of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel, and snow, all mixed together.  Mmmmmmmmm, tasty (but please, don't try to bite the owl, or you may lose an eye)