Author Topic: Steal the Dragon game  (Read 48806 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Steal the Dragon game
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
As per the discussion in chat last night, I'm working on making some game pieces to make an actual Steal the Dragon game. 
So I thought I'd post a couple of pieces I worked up today, in modeling clay...
The picture does not flatter the dragon, but that piece will have to undergo some changes anyway, I'm not really pleased with it.  I wanted to get some opinions on pose, though.  A sleeping dragon would have less potential to have pieces break off, a standing dragon is more reminiscent of the King in chess, and we have this or one of a few other semi-coiled positions also. 
I DO really like the toadstool mushroom.  It's maybe a little small, but I like it and I think it being a little small is OK if it is a "pawn" piece.  What do you think?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Steal the Dragon game
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:50:38 pm »
Those are charming!  I think if the dragon had its wings folded, sitting up and paying attention, but in a "cat" sit rather than with front claws up, it would be reasonably sturdy. 
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »
I agree, very cute! And wings folded will definately help keep them from breaking off.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »
If you could do a sort of 'wings draped like a regal cloak' thing, that would help make it more simple, I think.  Cover the lower claws some.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:18:46 pm »
How awesome!

I asked Patty if she still had the rules she kind of sketched out for the game, but she laughed and said, "Not a chance.  That was how many moves ago?".   Patty tends to just scribble some random notes while writing a book -- they only have to last until the book is finished, and they only need to make sense to her.   Usually, when the book is finished, the notes just kind of disappear.  :(

She says she envisioned it as a cross between chess and poker . . . and the rules were pretty roughly sketched out even back when.
Where's my super-suit?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »
Kyria, look at you! How absolutely adorable.

The toadstool is perfect. For me the dragon looks a bit lizard-y with the rounded stomach and the tail seems a bit big. I do like the pose though and the wings. Maybe if it had more of a wedge shaped head with a bit of ridges working down from the head to the tip of the tail? This is a bit of a small picture but I like the head of the dragon:

Chess and poker. Heh.

Here's what I've found in the book about the game. It looks like there's two of each game piece except for the dragon.

Steal the Dragon

The object of the game is to steal the other person's dragon. When stealing "Theft" and opponent acknowlegdes "Thief".

Develop strategies, and the importance of stealth and deceit.

Game pieces | Black and White (Dark and Light)

Mushroom
Frog
Rat
Sparrow
Owl
Fox
Stag
Wolf
Dragon

Poisoned frog with other mushroom
Owl to eat the mushroom that killed the frog
Killed the fox with the remaining mushroom

Take advantage of inattention and move extra spaces, a practice that was legal only if your opponent didn't notice what you'd done.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:48:38 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I had basically the same issues with the dragon as Elle: the head is not the right shape, the tail is thick, the neck is too long and the head too big.  I am pleased with the left wing, but it's really too delicate for a gamepiece. 
I knew this one would be really rough, though, because my sculpting tools are still at home (I have a new apartment) so I was using a pocketknife, a fork, and a chopstick.  Each of which have their uses... they just aren't ideal for the types of detail I want on a dragon. 
There's really only one tool I regularly use for this type of thing, but my local hobby lobby only sells it in a big set of tools, and I can't justify buying it knowing that I have them all already. 
I finished a morel-style mushroom today, I'll try to get photos up later tonight!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »
Check flea markets or thrift shops for some alternatives.  Some of the dental tools are awesome for clay work.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I'm also thinking if I go to WalMart tomorrow I can pick up some cheap tweezers and dismantle them into something similar to the tool I need. 

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:00:32 pm »
Alrighty.  So, today I have to offer:
1 morel-type mushroom (morels vs. toadstools, anyone?)
1 great-horned owl... I'm thinking I'll try a barn owl too, as barns are my very favorite owl ever. 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »
I love the little toadstool. :D

Kyria, you are rocking my world. Seriously these are so much fun. You're doing a great job with them and your post upthread made me laugh:

"a pocketknife, a fork, and a chopstick" ...walked into a bar  LOL
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »
Amazing, especially so fast.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:44 pm »
I love the feathers on the owl!

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »
Thanks.  Normally I work even smaller and I use a round toothpick and a flat toothpick.  It's kind of nice to work big enough to be able to get some sort of detail going.   bOuNcY

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »

New piece: a barn owl.  He's a little bit smaller than the great horned; but then, barn owls are built lightly compared to GHOs.  Even as is, he's a little heavy for a barn owl.