Author Topic: Steal the Dragon game  (Read 48790 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Steal the Dragon game
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2010, 08:43:52 am »
You're not the only one to be stuck with that "what do I do about the hollow under the body?" issue.  Classically a stump or boulder is under there, or it could be a dog or wolf attacking it.

Just had an odd thought.  I was trying to think of a different way out of that, and thought "if it was a doe instead of a stag, it could be a fawn, or even two, nursing, go fill that space, with ferns or grass."

Fine, but what if there should be a doe to match each stag?  Like there are king & queen, 2 each bishops, rooks, and knights, what if there are stag and hind, male & female frog, (or frog and toad - or snake!), dog fox and vixen, and two types of owl, like that?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2010, 09:03:16 am »
I think someone needs to reconstruct the rules for the game before you get too many pieces out there.  I think I remember about the 2 mushrooms.   We could start with what is in the book, and then go from there, since Patty doesn't remember.  Thematically, sneakiness is encouraged, if not caught.  How big is the board?  Is it all squares?  triangles or other shapes could make it trickier, or easier to be tricky. It's turn based, but what defines a turn? Do diffierent pieces have different moves like chess, or all the same like checkers.  What are the limits on how a piece can move?  Is there a set interaction between different pieces, such as dragon stomps on mushroom, mushroom poisons fox, fox eats sparrow...

We should probably start by listing all the points we can get from the book.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:07 am »
And from chats; I think Mr. Mike mentioned that it did start from a chess board.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2010, 02:41:08 pm »
Yes, I seem to remember someone of authority observing that the board is basically a chessboard. 

Anybody who wants to see what you can find in the books about rules, please do so!  My impression, like I said, was that it was one of each type of animal (like I said, Rialla refers to them singularly, and not as "one of my foxes," as I would imagine if there were a pair of each animal.  I like the pairs idea, and it would work as a game goes... but I don't see it as the way the game goes in the book), and two mushrooms, per side, so for now, that's what I'll mock up, and once I've got a set made, I'll see what I can do with any rules people have gleaned and put here, my own creativity, and if Patty gives us any additional ideas, and try to make up a workable game. My impression is that each piece has its own type of move, for instance, I would probably off the top of my head make the dragon move similar to the king in chess: one space at a time, any direction. 

But I'm hoping somebody else will step in and do that part. 

OK, regarding the stag.  I took another look at him this morning and decided that the biggest reason I didn't like him, was his back was too long.  So I did some tweaking and I like him much better now.  I don't know if you will even be able to tell in the photo, I guess, but I shortened his back by just under 1/4" and he's better proportioned now.  Still kind of stocky, but for the sake of structural integrity... He's still one of the biggest pieces (the dragon should be a similar size, and the fox is 1/8 inch taller) but better. 
Anyways, I added antlers, hope y'all like him. 

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »
Hmm, I've been thinking or rereading soon, so maybe I will for sure and take notes as I go.

I really like the stag!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Janilee

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2010, 02:44:06 pm »
Love the texturing on his throat. Antlers look a bit stylized, but not in a bad way at all.

Like him sitting next to the fox kit.  :D

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 03:49:22 am »
I like the stag a lot. :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:37 am »
OK so, thus far I've made two wolves, both of which are way too big (but I'm getting closer!)... so they didn't get too much as far as detail work, but anyway.
Hopefully the next one will be the final. 
So before I start it, I wanted to share the first two with everyone and get some input on the final pose. 
The first one I built, I did the wolf slightly crouched and howling.  I wouldn't do the crouched pose for a final product, but I could do a seated, howling wolf. 

The second one I built is running.  It wound up leaned too far back and needs a slightly larger base, both of which are easy fixes, but properly it ought to have its tail streaming behind it (http://www.zianet.com/bluedome/artist/WilliamShumway/runningwolfthumb.JPG) but A) that would make it WAY easy to break off, B) that takes up too much horizontal space, and C) I'm not sure I want to risk having to stretch the mold that much more.  So the tail is down.  Maybe this wolf is throwing on the breaks for some reason?

so which should I do?  Granted, eventually I may wind up with one of each (one for the "white" side of the board, one for the "black" side) but for now, I need to make a choice. 

Janilee

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2010, 11:47:39 am »
I like the wolf in motion.  :D

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
I like the wolf in motion, but I think he is stopping short, like you said.  And the tail has to be down for technical and practical reasons.  sigh.   But the seated, howling wolf could be really neat as well.  Very nice howl, BTW.  I think I like that best.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:02 pm »
I like the howl as well, though the one in motion is pretty neat too. :)

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »
What if you had the tail curved around the haunches so it looks like he is stopping abruptly and no pieces are breakable?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2010, 08:22:24 pm »
Thought I'd mention here that as I've been having trouble with pouring casts from the molds, I've put that one on hold.

But the other day I bought a book about how to carve birds (I already have a set of wood carving tools my parents got me for clay work) and I thought, "I need to start with something smaller and less detailed." 

So I'm now working on a smaller, carved wooden set.  It's a more stylized design, more in keeping with a chess set.  I've done a snake for each side of the board, a rat for each side of the board, and a pair of "mushrooms" that I don't really like and need a re-design. 
Oh and a cat for each side of the board, because for some reason I was sure there was a cat piece and there totally isn't.  So, I have two tiny, stylized, hand-carved wooden cats without any purpose... extra carving practice, I guess...

Janilee

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2010, 08:24:33 pm »
So, maybe in your version of the game there are cat pieces, like wildcards!

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:44 pm »
     Those molds look awesome !!!
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.