Author Topic: When Demons Walk Discussion  (Read 30146 times)

miracole

Re: When Demons Walk Discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:36 am »
This was the first book by Patricia Briggs I read and it is still my favorite. I was so excited to find an author who wrote the types of books I love to read and wrote them so well!

Temari

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 08:06:03 am »
Welcome to the board, miracole. We all love Patty's books too! What makes When Demon's Walk your favourite one?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 04:18:52 pm »
Oh wow... I was finally able to get my hands on this one. Besides Masques this is Patty's only published book I hadn't read yet. It's awesome! Sham has so much style and I really like the selkie boy too!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

pence

• Grease Monkey
"Demons" Discussion
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »
I'vew been doing a comfort ( as in refuge from an increasingly distressing world) reread of 'Demons' and realise that I also want more of Dickon - he's just found out that he has a mage gift, despite his disbelief!
Also occurs to me that this book would make a fabulous film!  Also want, want, want  ... to see how Lady
Tira deals with Sham, and more of the
shark.  I've been speculating that he might have been one of the old Kings sons, maybe one who was out at sea at the time of the invasion?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:31:06 pm by charmed »

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Re: Masques General Discussion
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
and more of the shark.  I've been speculating that he might have been one of the old Kings sons, maybe one who was out at sea at the time of the invasion?

Hm. That wasn't the impression I got, but I think he definitely was someone important.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Masques General Discussion
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 05:27:22 pm »
Hmm, this should probably be in When Demons Walk, not in Masques...

Mods?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:06 pm »
I just finished rereading Demons and it brought up a whole bunch of questions. here are some of them in an almost coherent fashion.

So, when did sham meet the Shark? after she became a thief in Purgatory, or before? if it was before it brings up the question of who the shark was and if he knew Maur before he was crippled. If Sham didn't meet the shark until after she became a thief then what is the connection between them?

In the scene at the stables where the Shark meets the Reeve the Shark is really protective of Sham. Plus, she's one of the few who know a lot about him. this indicates a close relationship.
Why isn't sham one of his Whisper/ part of his gang? Because she doesn't want to be is my instinctive answer.

if anyone has speculation I'd love to hear it.

JL

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 10:42:30 pm »
I love this book! Hope there is a sequel coming...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 07:21:08 am »
So, when did sham meet the Shark? after she became a thief in Purgatory, or before? if it was before it brings up the question of who the shark was and if he knew Maur before he was crippled. If Sham didn't meet the shark until after she became a thief then what is the connection between them?
I don't have any answers for you on this, but in my reading, it strikes me that it was probably a transitional thing.  When she left the - what, palace? Castle? - ruling building complex, anyway, she wouldn't have instantly become a thief.  I suspect the shark somehow found her, or she him, and they struck some kind of deal, he getting her training in the 'camouflage' she used, and ordinary lock picking, finding avenues of entry, what to look for, things like that, and she might have done some small mage workings for him.  That's just a guess.

In the scene at the stables where the Shark meets the Reeve the Shark is really protective of Sham. Plus, she's one of the few who know a lot about him. this indicates a close relationship.
Why isn't sham one of his Whisper/ part of his gang? Because she doesn't want to be is my instinctive answer.

if anyone has speculation I'd love to hear it.
I think you're right, there.  I doubt that in her most bacis identity, Sham thinks of herself as a thief.  She's a mage, maybe a noble, a force of vengance for Maur, but not a thief for her own gain.  She therefore wouldn't feel part of the Whisper underground.

They're flat out criminals, thieves, extortionists, blackmailers (note those two are different things!), pimps, whores, drug dealers, smugglers, bully-boys.  They'll ply their trades among all, from the highest to the lowest.  Sham only stole from high ranking invaders, as revenge and to care for Maur and herself.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »
The sharks reaction to the current rulers of the country make me think that more than criminality motivates him.  His is a gang boss because that is what is open to him, but there is more than mere greed driving him. That line about Sham channelling her hate and hedging it about with rules made me wonder what it was that drove his hatred of the invaders.  If he was just a crook wouldn't they just have been a new bunch to prey on?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »
Oh, there's racial/patriotic motivation there too, don't forget, the invaders pretty much treat the natives as second/third class citizens, as invaders are wont to do.

Jenn

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »
I finished new rewrite of Masques. Loved it!! Immediately read When Demons Walk again for the sixth time. I feel like driving to Patricia's house and laying down and thumping my feet on the ground and crying I want When Demons Walk's sequel now. Surely they would notice an adult woman having a tantrum in their front yard and having pity....... :-' 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »
Now, now, Nottled's already tried that...  LOL

Jenn

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »
LOL

Maybe two or MORE people having tantrums  :-whistle

Janilee

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »
Try her publisher's front yard! ;)