Author Topic: When Demons Walk Discussion  (Read 30150 times)

Jenn

When Demons Walk Discussion
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:25:36 pm »
This is my favorite book next to the "Mercy books".

Is it anyone else fav

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: When Demons Walk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »
I don't know if I can choose a single favorite! ???  But this is definately one of the top ones.  "No demons?  Darling, how boring!" ;D
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

irishdreamgirl

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:08:06 am »
i don't think I"ve really heard of it...tho, my face is usually ears deep in law texts during the school season, so very little else comes my way... but I"m insterested!  who's it by?  what's the tag line?  curious little minds want to know  ;-)
Gra, Dilseacht, Cairdeas

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:15:04 am »
Haha, it's one of Patricia's other books! 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

irishdreamgirl

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:36:45 pm »
AAAaaaAAAAAndddd.... I"m slow.  Yeah.  Really slow.  Thanks.  *sheepish Grin*  I'll just...ah...go be slow while reading for class now. ...  yeah..  Thanks.
Gra, Dilseacht, Cairdeas

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:09:05 pm »
Oh don't worry, the only reason I'm so amused is that it was you and not me that got caught. :P  I've been screwing up all week. >_<  No wait, lifetime. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:49 pm »
Gee, can I have that short a time limit?  I liked the Selkie boy.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »
I want to reread it, but it's never in my library!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:12:07 pm »
You have to borrow it from the public library? 
I know what to get Zealith for christmas!  *wanders off chanting smugly*

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 06:16:06 pm »
The selkie boy is a character in When Demons Walk or is it another book?

Most of the books I read these days are from teh library. I may see if they have When Demons Walk.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 06:18:41 pm »
Well, they do have several copies... and I'm running out of room to store my books. Hmm, I should probably have a culling again some time soon.
P.S. I never buy books my library has, it is easy enough to borrow them when I want to, and then other people can enjoy them too.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 06:23:34 pm »
The selkie boy is a character in When Demons Walk or is it another book?

Most of the books I read these days are from teh library. I may see if they have When Demons Walk.
Yes.  This book.
(See?  I can so be terse.)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:38:54 pm »
is this a pattricia briggs book?  i haven't heard of this one

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:06 pm »
Yep, it's one of the earlier ones.  If you look here: http://www.hurog.com/books.shtml you can see all the books she's written as well as their covers. 

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:50 pm »
ohh now i see it, i never scrolled down much past the dragon ones

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

DogPatch

Re: When Demons Walk Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 04:32:43 am »
I just picked up a copy at Wal-Mart. I'm off to reading ... no work for me today!  :D

Jenn

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »
Enjoy

It is my fav of Patty's books next to Mercy.

I chuckled and laughed.

Lyranda

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:17 pm »
This is the book that got me started with Patty and is still one of my favorites.  I just love the scenes of Sham playing Kerim's mistress, especially when his mother was around.

DogPatch

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:16:38 am »
I just picked up a copy at Wal-Mart. I'm off to reading ... no work for me today!  :D

Loved this book.  I sat down to read and didn't do anything else.  Patty sure can be addictive, can't she? ;D

Sham is easy to like and understand.  A strong character.  Elsic, the selkie, was excellent; I was hoping for more of him.

I saw Sham as an earlier version of Mercy.  I guess I should have read her books in order, but I can't read what I don't have my hands on. 

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 07:55:19 am »
I have this book but have never read it..i don't have the other 2 books.  Can u read this one as a stand alone or do i need to start with masques?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:15 am »
You can read it as a standalone.  It takes place in the same world, but isn't otherwise that connected.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

DogPatch

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:44 am »
I have this book but have never read it..i don't have the other 2 books.  Can u read this one as a stand alone or do i need to start with masques?
I haven't read the other ones either.   :'(
I enjoyed it a lot.  I will probably get the other 2 books, read them and then re-read When Demons Walk.  I am sure that I will understand more of it that way, but I would consider it a stand-alone.  Geez, can't speak/write today.   :-\ Yes, it reads as a stand alone.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 05:05:05 am »
thanks..i think i will move it up in the 2 be read pile..i was waiting until the new masques patty is working on comes out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:49:55 am »
Don't torture yourself, read as you get the chance, "Masques" & the sequel are very low on the priority list, you're looking at 3-7 years!

Temari

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:09 am »
I love this one too. I really liked Kerim's mother's reaction to Sham - very nose in air. I laughed at her comment on Sham wearing 'yet another outfit of unsuitable clothing'  :D

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 02:54:01 pm »
My favorite outfit of Sham's was the one her maid described as something like "so modest my grandmother would approve" (not an exact quote) just so her other outfits would stand out all the more! Also, the image of Kerim returning to find Sham flinging bits of his room into the fire and her just saying "oh good, you're here, help me move this," (again not an exact quote) was hilarious!

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »
She's something, all right.  I like the way she saw how he expected her to react to the wheel chair, & she just suggested an improvement instead.  Then the gleeful way he did help her destroy stuff, how theraputic it was.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
okay gonna start it now..i was trying to finish up blood noir, but u guys won me over...

Temari

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 11:32:16 am »
Yay! Good choice, beverlyp. Enjoy!  :D

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 11:00:17 am »
okay gonna start it now..i was trying to finish up blood noir, but u guys won me over...

HaHa! Our brain washing techniques are working!  :D

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

miracole

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:08:36 am »
This was the first book by Patricia Briggs I read and it is still my favorite. I was so excited to find an author who wrote the types of books I love to read and wrote them so well!

Temari

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 08:06:03 am »
Welcome to the board, miracole. We all love Patty's books too! What makes When Demon's Walk your favourite one?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 04:18:52 pm »
Oh wow... I was finally able to get my hands on this one. Besides Masques this is Patty's only published book I hadn't read yet. It's awesome! Sham has so much style and I really like the selkie boy too!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

pence

• Grease Monkey
"Demons" Discussion
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »
I'vew been doing a comfort ( as in refuge from an increasingly distressing world) reread of 'Demons' and realise that I also want more of Dickon - he's just found out that he has a mage gift, despite his disbelief!
Also occurs to me that this book would make a fabulous film!  Also want, want, want  ... to see how Lady
Tira deals with Sham, and more of the
shark.  I've been speculating that he might have been one of the old Kings sons, maybe one who was out at sea at the time of the invasion?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:31:06 pm by charmed »

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Re: Masques General Discussion
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
and more of the shark.  I've been speculating that he might have been one of the old Kings sons, maybe one who was out at sea at the time of the invasion?

Hm. That wasn't the impression I got, but I think he definitely was someone important.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Masques General Discussion
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2009, 05:27:22 pm »
Hmm, this should probably be in When Demons Walk, not in Masques...

Mods?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:06 pm »
I just finished rereading Demons and it brought up a whole bunch of questions. here are some of them in an almost coherent fashion.

So, when did sham meet the Shark? after she became a thief in Purgatory, or before? if it was before it brings up the question of who the shark was and if he knew Maur before he was crippled. If Sham didn't meet the shark until after she became a thief then what is the connection between them?

In the scene at the stables where the Shark meets the Reeve the Shark is really protective of Sham. Plus, she's one of the few who know a lot about him. this indicates a close relationship.
Why isn't sham one of his Whisper/ part of his gang? Because she doesn't want to be is my instinctive answer.

if anyone has speculation I'd love to hear it.

JL

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 10:42:30 pm »
I love this book! Hope there is a sequel coming...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 07:21:08 am »
So, when did sham meet the Shark? after she became a thief in Purgatory, or before? if it was before it brings up the question of who the shark was and if he knew Maur before he was crippled. If Sham didn't meet the shark until after she became a thief then what is the connection between them?
I don't have any answers for you on this, but in my reading, it strikes me that it was probably a transitional thing.  When she left the - what, palace? Castle? - ruling building complex, anyway, she wouldn't have instantly become a thief.  I suspect the shark somehow found her, or she him, and they struck some kind of deal, he getting her training in the 'camouflage' she used, and ordinary lock picking, finding avenues of entry, what to look for, things like that, and she might have done some small mage workings for him.  That's just a guess.

In the scene at the stables where the Shark meets the Reeve the Shark is really protective of Sham. Plus, she's one of the few who know a lot about him. this indicates a close relationship.
Why isn't sham one of his Whisper/ part of his gang? Because she doesn't want to be is my instinctive answer.

if anyone has speculation I'd love to hear it.
I think you're right, there.  I doubt that in her most bacis identity, Sham thinks of herself as a thief.  She's a mage, maybe a noble, a force of vengance for Maur, but not a thief for her own gain.  She therefore wouldn't feel part of the Whisper underground.

They're flat out criminals, thieves, extortionists, blackmailers (note those two are different things!), pimps, whores, drug dealers, smugglers, bully-boys.  They'll ply their trades among all, from the highest to the lowest.  Sham only stole from high ranking invaders, as revenge and to care for Maur and herself.

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »
The sharks reaction to the current rulers of the country make me think that more than criminality motivates him.  His is a gang boss because that is what is open to him, but there is more than mere greed driving him. That line about Sham channelling her hate and hedging it about with rules made me wonder what it was that drove his hatred of the invaders.  If he was just a crook wouldn't they just have been a new bunch to prey on?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »
Oh, there's racial/patriotic motivation there too, don't forget, the invaders pretty much treat the natives as second/third class citizens, as invaders are wont to do.

Jenn

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »
I finished new rewrite of Masques. Loved it!! Immediately read When Demons Walk again for the sixth time. I feel like driving to Patricia's house and laying down and thumping my feet on the ground and crying I want When Demons Walk's sequel now. Surely they would notice an adult woman having a tantrum in their front yard and having pity....... :-' 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »
Now, now, Nottled's already tried that...  LOL

Jenn

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »
LOL

Maybe two or MORE people having tantrums  :-whistle

Janilee

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »
Try her publisher's front yard! ;)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2010, 10:45:14 pm »
I just finished a reread of this book. It's one of my favorites. It never fails to make me laugh.  I always feel tension waiting for Sham to find the binding runes on Kerim, fearing she might not find them in time.  :-[

It also has such a clever ending. Love it.
Hurog Means Dragon.

SCoutts

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 10:05:55 am »
It is tough to pick a next fav after Mercy book but if pressed I agree with you. When Demons Walk has the perfect mix of humour and dark drama.
I loved his revelation about his god. Why does it existence mean it deserve to be worshipped.

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 02:42:57 pm »
I think I am going to re-read the book. It has been at least a year or over since I read it. Time to do my yearly rounds.  ;D
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2011, 03:19:42 pm »
This one is definitely worthy of a reread. Next on the list!
Hurog Means Dragon.

bookworm

• Tinker
    • Savory and Safe (food blog)
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:03 pm »
My favorite outfit of Sham's was the one her maid described as something like "so modest my grandmother would approve" (not an exact quote) just so her other outfits would stand out all the more! Also, the image of Kerim returning to find Sham flinging bits of his room into the fire and her just saying "oh good, you're here, help me move this," (again not an exact quote) was hilarious!
\

The quote is (it's one of my favorites, so I just have to say it :D) "Lady, this is a dress my grandmother would find overmodest." Hehe, this book has so many great oneliners!
My food blog, jointly run by me and my best friend: www.savoryandsafe.com

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »
It does!  Patty says she's not much of a humor writer, but she does manage, given the time, to slip in some good lines.