Author Topic: The Hob's Bargain Discussion  (Read 55805 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: The Hob's Bargain Discussion
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2010, 08:04:18 pm »
I kind of pictured a 'hobbit hole' type set up.  :-[

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »
Me too Z - I dont know but it does make sense in a way LOL
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
Maybe with rocks instead of wooden walls... but I see him as more elemental than hobbits.

amusedandannoyed

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:04 am »
I see the Hob's home as a cavernous place without the stalactites and stalagmites. 

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »
Also, I don't think the original book cover did him justice. As my sister said, "I was thinking more monkey, less gorilla." I don't picture him as looking like an elf (not with those movable ears) but I didn't picture him like that either...

Anyway, I could probably keep going with the random thoughts but I'll stop for now.

Well, I can tell you that Patty was thinking of something more like the X-men's Nightcrawler, with less angst and a more puckish bent.  The very wide giant on the cover was something of a surprise!
Where's my super-suit?

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:58 am »
:D That fits my mental picture of the Hob much better than the old cover.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

laruna

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:05 am »
mine too. my edition has the new(i guess) cover so i got to see him in my head, and he definitely didn't look like that guy on the cover. dafiniatly way more like nightcrawler.  
i always pictured the hobs mountain home as a kinda cavern what is made of rock but kinda soft looking, with trees. under the mountain. yeah, not very realistic, but that's why i like fantasy.

iv actually only read the hobbs bargain. its my favorite book. unfortunately, i lost my only copy on the bus about a week ago right in the middle of re-reading it. for about the eighth time. i actually cried a little. i want to read the others, but i haven't been able to find them where i am. and i have a huge distrust of paypal. so.. till i get lucky i'm totally cut off. lol i'm praying i find another copy soon!! 9)

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »
What I liked so much about The Hob's Bargain was that the 'feel' of the book, the setting, the characters etc. were so different from the previous Mercy Thompson books I had read.  I think The Hob showed great breadth of talent to be so different, yet equally excellent.  It took me a while to realize the differences, but when I had finished the book I kept looking for a sequel. (I'm still hoping!  :-whistle ) I am just sure there is more to know about the characters and their lives. 

Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cheeky.halfwit

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:30 am »
What I liked so much about The Hob's Bargain was that the 'feel' of the book, the setting, the characters etc. were so different from the previous Mercy Thompson books I had read.  I think The Hob showed great breadth of talent to be so different, yet equally excellent.  It took me a while to realize the differences, but when I had finished the book I kept looking for a sequel. (I'm still hoping!  :-whistle ) I am just sure there is more to know about the characters and their lives. 
Pheo

Pheo you do know that Hob's Bargain came out before the Mercy Thompson books.

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2010, 11:02:17 am »
Yes, I do knowthat now, thanks for the information. My points were from this reader's perspective though, in that I read them out of order, as I'm sure many readers do. I am not an expert on Patty's books by any means; I am a fairly new fan, and when I discovered Patty's incredible writing was in the Mercy books. So when I immediately started acquiring and reading the others....  I was astounded at the differences in feel, characters, plots etc.

Some artists have only one sound or theme...you can almost always identify Neil Diamond, or Barry Manilow for example.  Some authors are the same, they only have come up with one type of literature, with it's own unique "sound".  Patty amazes...and delights!

Best regards,
Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Mrs

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:11 am »
Just finished this book last night and I really liked it.  I liked how the romance simmered away on the back burner, keeping you aware that it was there but not steaming up and complicating the story line.
I was really grateful that I didn't need a PhD in the Fae/Magic/Magical Creatures/Philosophy to understand the magic of the story.  (this is usually why I stick to weres and vamps)

I loved, Loved, LOVED that there was no cliffhanger ending.  The book left me satisfied. 
Do I need a sequel ?*shrugs* Not really.  I'm good with where things ended off, with hope and happiness.

Great, strong, intelligent, female protagonist too!
I would definitely suggest this book to any young women (I'm only 30, it's not like I'm old!) interested in the UF or Fantasy genre.  A sweet, smart read.
On to Raven's Shadow!

Firestorm

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2010, 08:07:25 pm »
I guess it doesn't NEED a sequel but Caefawn is too darn adorable to leave alone. :D I was re-reading it a while ago and it's still one of my favorites.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »
I agree, more Caefawn would be great! :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

horses_r_us

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2010, 11:26:31 am »
This was my first Patricia Briggs book and I loved it from the beginning, would love a sequel of some sort but won't die without it. What I would like to get my hands on is an audio version, because I spend most of my free time driving and my husband won't read a book, but listened to all of the Mercy Tompson books. Anyone have any thoughts on how we could get this one as an audio as well?

Ashley

FizzaLicious

• writers
  • Mechanic
  • I stopped fighting my demons,now we agree ;)
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »
I think this was my first book too! I'll need to reread it because it's been a long time but I remember how much I enjoyed it!
Murphy- Are you always such a wise-ass?
Dresden- Nope, sometimes I sleep! :) ~ Dresden Files

I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome! ;D