Author Topic: The Hob's Bargain Discussion  (Read 76990 times)

CrowSpirit

Re: The Hob's Bargain Discussion
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 04:37:03 pm »
I joined this forum to say that I love this book. Caefawn is the cutest male character I've read in a long time. He is completely lovable. It needs a series or a sequel at least. The ending sets it up perfect for one too. I really despise open endings and I Need to find out how things turn out for Caefawn and Aren. I'm desperate to read more about their life (and little baby hob/mortals).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:38:57 pm by CrowSpirit »

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »
I respectfully disagree.  For me it is a plus when the lives of the characters obviously continue on beyond the boundaries of the covers.  Much more 'real' as it were!

EllieHob

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2008, 05:23:20 pm »
Although i have read most of Patti's books, i loved this one a lot. I mean i can't wait till Bone crossed comes out either but this one held me. That thing i liked more than anything was the hob,most of all his tail.he he . I think that as much as this book was probably meant to be a Single(lone book), it could have a Magickal tail as a Sequel. ;)

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 05:31:50 pm »
I think I remember Patty saying that main characters can get pretty chewed up by stories and that sometimes it's nice to think of them continuing to live in "boring times" (think Chinese curses).  I think both Caefawn and Aren has earned some uninteresting times.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 05:48:43 pm »
I think I remember Patty saying that main characters can get pretty chewed up by stories and that sometimes it's nice to think of them continuing to live in "boring times" (think Chinese curses).  I think both Caefawn and Aren has earned some uninteresting times.

Hmm.  Do you WANT to kill Caefawn?  Hobs are born to mischief.  He was looking forward to dealing with the - what was it, grims? - at the end of 'Bargain'.  And Aren has had enough of pretending to be meek and normal.  She might not mind staying home - wherever that might be, married to a Hob, - and helping him with her visions, but she might get bored with that once she heals too.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 06:06:28 am »
Alright, boring may be going too far.

lucky

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 07:22:09 am »
I never thought boring would be a problem at the end of this book. Aren and the Hob had solved the immediate problem of the bloodmage, but lets be honest, a whole host of new magical creatures have been unleashed upon the world. They are the ones the village looks to to deal with that. I think there's enough work there to keep them and their offspring busy for a good, long while.

Roz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 07:21:44 pm »
I really think the book could support a sequel into the lives of these characters. We barely get a glimpse of the courtship of the Hob & Aren plus we leave off shortly after the bargain was struck. There's a whole year of getting to know each other as well as waking to this newly remade maigical world. Lotsa good story fodder there. And like all the people in the "pro for more" on this story, I _crave_ more encounters w/ the Hob and his gentle romance towards a human woman. And not sure who quoted it but that was the absolute highlight of the book for me and the perfect way to get an idea of the Hob's character. In a disgusted voice "That's not a hob, lady". Out loud giggling and shifty eyes at the workplace break room. <grin>
Roz

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 01:47:04 pm »
Ad I think I've said before in this thread, the Minstrel also needs a bit more story.  Here he is, accustomed to a life of wandering, and espionage/dirty tricks for the King, and now he's TRAPPED in a tiny, backwoods village. Yes, he's fascinated with all the creatures out of his old tales, but how long is that going to carry him. It would be just like confining the Hob to a placid life, without even ONE tiny trick.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 01:52:36 pm »
Yes, after a while, it would.  And they're already inbred enough (witness the 'who has mage talents but pretends they don't' thing) that they need to get out & find more people, besides other supplies that they can't make or get where they are.

Well, the blood mage & his berserkers made it in, with some work, that trail can probably be opened again.

lgmorgan

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 09:36:37 am »
I would love to see a sequel. This was the first book of Patricia's that I read and now have all of her books that are available for my Kindle. I live in a very small space and found that my book addiction conflicted with the alloted bookshelf. The Kindle has allowed me to 'surround' my self with my favorite author's books. Just finished downloading Shakespeare, Arthur Conan Doyle,Andre Norton, and others from a free site (past the copyright on these authors). Getting off topic, sorry.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:34 am »
Did you say a free site??? Where?  :D :) :D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 05:15:24 pm »
Gutenberg Project would be my guess.  Get as much H.Beam Piper as you can, too.
I wants me some hob stories.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:38 pm »
Now I'm excited like a little girl at Christmas!!! Thanks!

And to stay on topic ;D.... I would love to see another Hob book. I can just imagine all kinds of trouble with the coutship. Not between them but caused by other people who are freaking out that he is not human.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

nannarules

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2008, 08:20:35 am »
I am new here.  I was happily shocked to find out that I am not the only person that has read "The Hobb's Bargain" many, many times.   I too would love to see a sequel.  I loved this book.  I went out and bought the Mercy books.  Can't wait for more.