Author Topic: The Hob's Bargain Discussion  (Read 49999 times)

amanda

The Hob's Bargain Discussion
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:07:40 pm »
I loved this book, it's the first one of hers I've read outside the Mercy series. The flow and storytelling was really nice. Is she going to write a sequel so we know what happens between them?

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: The Hob's Bargain Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:06:30 pm »
I don't know if it really needs a sequel, it seemed like a stand-alone book to me.  Not that I'd complain if a sequel came sauntering my way of course! 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Furry

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:31:22 pm »
I think it was supposed to be a stand alone book as well but I really wish she would write a sequel 'cos I love it!! ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:04:33 pm »
That's the great thing, even though it's a stand alone, you're left wanting to know more about the characters. I liked Aren, a lot. How she ended up embracing her power instead of trying to hide it. Really great read.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Readsalot

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:58:38 am »
This was actually the first book of Patricia's that I read. It put her on my buy without looking and who cares about budget list of authors.

I have always wanted to know what happened next! Caefawn (and his tail, lol, loved how that tail expressed so much) and Aren are in my top five favorite characters.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:17:53 pm by Cole »
Readsalot

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night... Sarah Williams

Thea

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:20:14 am »
This is the book that addicted me to Patty!
I love the arc that the Hobb and the Heroine have to travel and I totally want another book!!!!!
I mean - they need to see if they can breed for the magic of the mountain.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:44:32 pm »
I don't know, I loved the book, but it seems to me that if it had a second book that would ruin the first one. I liked the open ending.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:50:17 pm »
I think I'd like it if there were another book in that world, but with different characters.  Hell, it very well could exist in the Hurog world, or even an obscure corner of the Raven's books' world.  But yeah, going back to those same characters might just...Muck about too much. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 12:37:01 am »
i want to see sequel

There is no place like /~

BuddhaJean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 05:43:18 pm »
I really love Caefawn...so cute! ^_^

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:39 pm »
I go with the "another book in this world, but feature different characters" faction.  Maybe mention Aren & Co.?  Or with cameo roles?  And how about our favorite one armed former berserker?  Not to mention Duck.  :)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cole

• Tool Wrangler
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:02 pm »
what about the story of her deceased brother

There is no place like /~

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:30 am »
what about the story of her deceased brother

Greetings, Cole.  Also, thank you for your work for us.  You & your campadre do nice work, as well as keeping the discussion lively, your literacy & fluidity of language is something I appreciate.

And yes, a book in an earlier time might be possible, but it didn't look as though there was enough to make the brother's story a major part of it.  Perhaps you're thinking of his having a cameo in such a story?  How about Grandmother who taught them about the old fey & the old magic?  She might have enough back story to make her a major character in such a project.

I took a test, well 3 tests.  I seem to be a dragon, a turkey sandwich, & a wizard.  Now, which one to eat. . .  :)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:32 pm »
I go with the "another book in this world, but feature different characters" faction.  Maybe mention Aren & Co.?  Or with cameo roles?  And how about our favorite one armed former berserker?  Not to mention Duck.  :)

Oh, I like this idea. I also think a direct sequel would ... well, be better off left to our imaginations. But I'd love to see the characters again, and I think a story about Keil would be perfect. I just read this book a couple of days ago and loved it. I have a weakness for strong female characters and I especially loved how this book showed Aren coming into that strength. I also thought Patty did an excellent job balancing the feyness of Caefawn, yet making him "human" enough so that we could identify with him and root for him. The story reminded me a little bit of Beauty & the Beast, which is one of my favorite faery tales; but the similarity wasn't strong enough for me to call this a retelling or anything. Just perfect!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

CheekyHalfWit

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 05:57:26 pm »
How about a story of Aren and Caefawn children going back to the Mountain to breed "New" magic back into it?