Author Topic: What year are Mercy's Vanagon and Rabbit?  (Read 4367 times)

darklightsun

• Tool Wrangler
What year are Mercy's Vanagon and Rabbit?
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
Hi All,

I have been re-reading my Mercy book in preparation for "Silver Borne."  This question may have been answered in the book, but I probably missed it.

What year are Mercy's Vanagon and Rabbit?

I've had a couple of ideas for drawing involving her cars, but I want to make sure I used the correct reference material.

Thanks for any help.

DLS
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:44:10 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Stupid question from a re-reader
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 06:56:44 pm »
Hi darklightsun,

Patty hasn't specified dates of the vehicles in the books, chat transcripts, or previously asked questions. I'm going to move this to the Weres: Ask Patty section for you to see if she or Mike can narrow it down for you. :)

Hurog Means Dragon.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Stupid question from a re-reader
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »
Grrr.  I don't think Patty ever specified the years -- though she used to have it in her notes.  Elle has done such a bang-up job with the canon that Patty says she's  lost her notes, since she never used them!   :-[

So, to try to narrow it down., The Rabbit would have been an early-80's vintage. It didn't become widely available in the US until about 1979, and in '80 or '81 the diesel engine was upgraded, with the later engines being vastly preferable.  The car was discontinued by the mid 80's (1984 comes to mind, but I could be wrong).  About all that changed in the last few years was the shape of the headlights and turn signals, and some of the interior trim.  So, if you call it an '82 diesel rabbit you wouldn't be far off.

The Vanagon Syncro has a similar narrow time frame.  It was made from '85 to '91, with later years having more color-matched trim and more available options.  The engine changed size sometime in the late 80's (87?), and again the larger engine was preferable.  The fuel injection also made substancial improvement in later years.  I think Mercy was supposed to have and '89 or '90 -- late in the production cycle.  BTW -- these are totally awesome cars.  The only reason we haven't moved mountains to get one is that the Vanagons aren't real safe in a front-end crash.  Patty and our daughters were in a moderatecollision (they got sandwiched) some years ago, and the vanagon had substantial cabin intrusion.  We switched to the Eurovan, which ultimately cured a longstanding addiction to VW's, but that's another story.
Where's my super-suit?