Author Topic: Meljean Brooks  (Read 16227 times)

Demi

• Grease Monkey
Meljean Brooks
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:02 am »
Hi, well... i have found her while clicking through Illona Andrews blogs,
and i havent found her here, and i wanted to talk to people about her
because after i found her, i ordered some books.

And those were pretty nice, so i ordered some more.
Now i am reading Demon Night and i found the word *reckon* really often,
but aside from that, i like it  :)

Have anybody else read this series?

( If there is already a topic please exuse this one, i havent found one over searching)

Ah for those who havent, it is about guardians ( like angel, but better^^), vampires, Lucifer himself,humor,
interesting characters, battle good against evil, romance, smex... and it is nicely written.

greetings  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:21:55 am by Demi »
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
Re: Meljean Brooks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:18:11 am »
Hi Demi,
I am reading them now also, thanks to Ilona Andrews.  Sigh, my poor wallet LOL.  So far I like the series.  I think I need to get book 4.  Can't remember the title currently and it is waay to early for my brain to work.  I bought the most recent one that came out but I can't read them out of order. 

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:34:41 am »
  I bought the most recent one that came out but I can't read them out of order. 

Yes, me too, thats why i have looked the order up on Meljeans website,
and bought it then, there are some anthologies between the books, and i bought them too.
This is the order so far:

Hot Spell
Demon Angel
Wild Thing
Demon Moon
Demon Night
First Blood
Demon Bound
Demon Forged
Must Love Hellhounds

Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:58:08 pm »
I remember hearing someone say that the first book - or maybe even two - were not great, but that the others were terrific and worth getting through to. I haven't gotten there, yet, though. But she's on my TBR pile.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:54:51 pm »
She's def worth checking out. I agree about the first book although the novella was good. But the following books are much better- she's also working on a new steampunk series too. The Iron Duke is out later this year and its getting a lot of good buzz :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:41:23 pm »
I saw a bunch of reviews on Amazon that are raving about her new steampunk book, The Iron Duke. Anyone read this? I still haven't gotten around to reading her backlist and I haven't enjoyed the couple of steampunk books I've read ... but these are great reviews.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »
I have been strangely put off by her back list. ??? based solely on the descriptions on amazon and such, but I really liked the steam punk novella that was in a resent anthology and now I cannot wait for the Iron duke. LOL

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:26 am »
I really recommend her books - she's created an indepth and rich world for her demon/angel series. But I heard such good things about The Iron Duke - I would start with that. My copy arrived a few weeks ago but I haven't had the chance to get into it yet.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

lilliana

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:50:26 am »
I loved The Iron Duke... BRILLIANT!  :D

I tried to read Demon Angel but I just couldn't push through it. I got to page 115 and put it down thinking I was going to pick it up again later but its been over a week now...

MinnChica

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:31 pm »
I tried to read Demon Angel but I just couldn't push through it. I got to page 115 and put it down thinking I was going to pick it up again later but its been over a week now...

I had a really hard time getting through that book too... But the others in that series are much better... I would suggest you try the next one.  :)
The opposite of War isn't peace, it's creation!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 04:08:27 pm »
I just read THE IRON DUKE and liked it.  I don't think I was as impressed by it as a lot of bloggers out there seem to be.  I thought it was good, but not great.  Not sure what bugged me about it.  There were a couple places where I got tired of reading it, but forced myself to continue because I wanted to see how the story played out.  And I think I had a hard time with some of the visualizations -- steampunk is pretty new to me.  (Honestly, I think that could have been fixed by a more illustrative cover.)  I'm intrigued by the world and would like to read more stories in it, and it WAS a good book.  I just wouldn't call it a personal 5-star.

On the other hand, every time I see the cover:

I'm reminded of Jensen Ackles from Supernatural.  It's in the jawline:
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Janilee

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:35:37 am »
I liked the book. I kind of skimmed the steampunk descriptions. I liked how she created the complete culture.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 02:58:44 am »
I found the cover for Heart of Steel!!! The follow up to the Iron Duke.

I like it - and the synopsis sounds great!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9765434-heart-of-steel

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »
Great cover!  Wi wish we didn't have to wait until November.  :(

(Now...why can't Nalini Singh get covers like THAT for her Guild Hunter books?)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »
I agree Nifty!

To both :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy