Author Topic: Suggested books similar to Patty's books?  (Read 14012 times)

freewalker

• Tool Wrangler
Suggested books similar to Patty's books?
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:33:02 am »
Hi,  I'm a big fan of the Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega series. I've read all of the books (re-read them too!) and am anxiously awaiting the next installments. While I wait, I'm on the hunt for simliar books. Any recommedations?

In case you're on the hunt for simliar books also...one that I found is the new Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill. Neill's series reminds me of Biggs' books -- engrossing supernatural storyline, strong female lead character, appealing supporting characters, lots of action, suspense and mystery and some romance. Not quite as good as the Mercy books, but still darn good and worth reading. :)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated while I try to manage my Mercy withdrawal. ha ha

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Xlade

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Suggest books similiar to Mercy books?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:56:56 pm »
I've been looking to. I'm not so much looking for subject matter, but the quality of writing. Not many authors put detail like coco, laundry,  and all the little things in life that Briggs does. Not many authors pick MONTANA and Eastern Washington as their settings.  Does anyone know of authors who write like this?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:00:47 pm »
Luis Bujold, at least in her Space Opera (if you like Sci Fi) and I've heard in her fantasy, but I haven't picked those up yet.

If you don't mind dark, (rape etc.) The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop is good.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »
The Bujold fantasy is also very good, although it doesn't have local references.  The closest to that is "The Spirit Ring", and that's my least favorite of her works.

However, the Sharing Knife quartet is based in a vague way on her growing up in the Ohio river basin.  And she does have detail.  Absorbing the "ground" of oats, baby raccoon in the bedding leaving 'presents', oh yes.

KimberlyR

• Tool Wrangler
Like Patty's books but NOT the Mercy books?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:45 am »
I love the Mercy books (and actually I love the Charles and Anna books more) but one of the reasons Patty is one of my favorite authors is because of her fantasy books. I love how she builds her worlds, with very simple terms so you don't get bogged down by overly grandiose descriptions, but you still understand the background of whats going on. I love her descriptions of pretty much everything for the same reason. My favorite series is the Sianim series, although I do like all her books. Can someone recommend similar fantasy books to me? These days, it seems like most fantasy books/series are so dense that its hard to read unless you can devote a lot of time and brain power to it. I have a toddler-I have NO brain power. I guess I'm looking for light, easy-to-read fantasy. Anyone have any suggestions? (Although I do love urban fantasy, I would prefer to stay away from that in this request.)

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
Re: Like Patty's books but NOT the Mercy books?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 04:39:35 pm »
Hm…  Lisa Shearin?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 05:21:15 pm »
Dawn Cook
Mark Del Franco
Jennifer Estep
Anne Logston
Jim Butcher's Codex Alera
Maria V Snyder
Michelle Sagara (Cast series)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:11:27 pm »
Willing to go for used books?
The "castle perilous" series. 
Patricia C. Wrede's "Enchanted Forest Chronicles"

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:40 am »
which Dawn Cook series The Truth Series or the Princess series?
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:35 am »
I'd recommend either!  Also Lorna Freeman (I think that's how it's spelled!) series (Borderlands, etc).

Also - Tanya Huff's Quarter series, starting with Sing the Four Quarters.  SHe also does urban fantasy, and urban supernatural, and military sf and classic fantasy .... very versatile!

KimberlyR

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »
Out of all the books/series mentioned,I've only read the Michelle Sagara's Cast series (which I LOVE! I can't wait until the next book is out  bOuNcY). Thanks for all the recs, ladies and gents. I will definitely keep this list handy when I go to the library, bookstore, and used bookstore.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 05:14:41 am »
Lord of the Fading Lands by C. L. Wilson. I have yet to read it but it's been recommended to me quite a few times.  :)
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:01:39 am »
Mercedes Lackey's 'Firebird'. Lovely story.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:20:51 pm »
   I  would recommend the Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook and the Enchanted Forest by Patricia C. Wrede. They were already mentioned but they are some of my favorites. I loved the Sianim series but my favorite is the Raven series then it comes strait in line next. 
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 07:29:25 pm »
Oh, the non-enchanted forest books by Wrede are also good, if you can lay your hands on them; she's got "Daughter of Witches", "Caught in Crystal", "The Raven Ring", and a few others set in the world of "Lyra", and one that may be set in that world, but doesn't have anything to do with the area/magic system/peoples of that series, "The Seven Towers" that's fun, plus the ones written initially with a co-author, but with a couple she branched out on her own with, starting with "Sourcery and Cecelia", I recommend those too.  Set in the Napoleonic wars except with magic.

I'd suggest L.M. Bujold's fantasies, but they may be denser than you're looking for.
Terry Pratchett's Diskworld is fun fun fun, if you enjoy British humor.

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:07:07 am »
Try Kim Harrison as well, she writes an urban fantasy series about the witch Rachel Morgan...fascinating stuff! Full of action & her world is also very well-constructed.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »
And did you know that Kim Harrison and Dawn Cook are one and the same?  Their styles feel quite different!  She apparently puts on a long, red-haired wig when she's appearing in public as Kim.

I found that bit of trivia pretty cool! 

Eccentric_Rose

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • You will find love.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »
Quite interesting.  :D
Dangers bring fears, and fear more dangers bring.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:13 am »
Garrett P.I. - by Glen Cook - A combination fantasy and mystery series about Garrett, a freelance private investigator.
Sweet Silver Blues (1987)
Bitter Gold Hearts (1988)
Cold Copper Tears (1988)
Old Tin Sorrows (1989)
Dread Brass Shadows (1990)
Red Iron Nights (1991)
Deadly Quicksilver Lies (1994)
Petty Pewter Gods (1995)
Faded Steel Heat (1999)
Angry Lead Skies (2002)
Whispering Nickel Idols (2005)
Cruel Zinc Melodies (2008)
Gilded Latten Bones (2010)

If you liked Steal the Dragon and Where Demons Walk this is similar.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:32 am »
Not a series, but totally what you're asking for, War For the Oaks by Emma Bull.  Comfy, easy read, very good characters etc.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 07:30:32 am »
Also, may I recommend an MP3 player and Audio books?  I have the Harry Potter books, Mercy Thompson, Harry Dresden and lots others that fit the bill too, fun, enjoyable and not overly taxing!  Listening to books frees your hands to do simple tasks at the same time while still listening to a good 'story'. 

I care for my elderly father, who is not on the same level of a toddler in his case, though I know some elderly are.  In his case, he's more like a teenager, very opinionated and unwilling to listen to advice, and too big to pick up and carry out of harm's way!  At 92, I'm very happy that his mind is as sharp as it is, I just wish he was less stubborn!... or not, he's a good guy and that 'stubborn' has kept him going this long after all.

Anyway, I listen to my books, with just one earpiece in, that way I can still keep track if he calls me or needs something.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: Suggested books similar to Patty's books?
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:56 am »
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/powers-james-a-burton/1108067317?ean=9781607013365  The teaser blurb indicates he may be a metalworking fae, like Zee.  It's recommended by Sharon Lee of the writing team of Lee & Miller, the Liaden UniverseTM novels.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 03:18:50 am »
Oh, that looks interesting Patti.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
Something else for the wish list.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:24 am »
Okay, there was some mention in the Jim Butcher thread about High Fantasy.

I was reading Ursula Vernon's "Bark like a fish, damnit!" blog, & she was commenting on several aspects of Andre Norton's Witch World  series, including specifically the arranged marriages and the odd formal language.  In the comments, some folks were giving their own impressions, & suggesting other High Fantasy, including Patricia Briggs! 

That's cool, but who wants to talk about the dated language or assumptions of fantasies of earlier decades?