Author Topic: D. D. Barant  (Read 17686 times)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
D. D. Barant
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »
A little while ago I picked up a book that had been on my wishlist.  It is called Dying Bites by D.D. Barant.  It is book one of The Bloodhound Files.  The basic premise is that there are alternate worlds.  The heroine is a FBI Profiler who usually goes after insane serial killers.  She wakes up and finds herself in an alternate earth populated by vampires, lycanthropes, golems, and very few humans.  She has to adapt to this new world and find the insane serial killer. 

I found this book to have a very interesting twist on the typical UF.  Yes we see a lot of familiar species and the serial killer bit has also been done before but the way he puts the different pieces together is rather enthralling.  Although this is about finding a serial killer which is pretty serious D.D. Barant includes well placed bits of humor.  The Golem has perfect delivery :)

I am looking forward to the next installment in this series.  And for those of you who are wondering, yes, D.D. Barant is a guy.  :-whistle

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: D. D. Barant
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »
I very much enjoyed this book. In fact, I was up until the wee hours of the mornign today reading it.

The one real gripe I had was that in some respects the female lead is very stereotypical - hares off on stupid impulses, can't handle a relationship, has no close friends. All of the crappy, lazy-its'-easy-so-I'll-do-it characterizations that we see too much of in this genre.

Still, I did like Jace (what does that stand for anyway? I don't recall seeing an explanation)  and the dilemma of working for the people who are exterminating her race. Overall, i enjoyed the book.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:06:28 pm »
She did do some of the stupid stuff that is correct.  I liked how she never knew who to trust ;).  I also really liked the golem.  I would like to see more of him.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »
Yeah I liked Charlie the golem, he was interesting. :D  "Mineral American" -  LOL LOL And Damon was fun too  9)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »
I never would have thought of a golem outside of Piers Anthony would have that much personality. 

I just hope he gets rid of the stupid mistakes she made in the first book.  I can chalk a lot of that up to totally out of her comfort zone but that pass is about over.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:41:14 pm »
I never would have thought of a golem outside of Piers Anthony would have that much personality. 

You obviously haven't read "Feet of Clay" by Terry Pratchett.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »
Still making my way through Disc world.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »
Dorfl will please you.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »
Ahem.  Back to topic.    ;D

I read that book, too, and enjoyed it as well.  Yes, she did do some stupid things, but I gave her more of a pass than I usually do, because she had no support system she could trust.  And the ethical dilemma was fascinating; what would you do in a situation like that?

And, yeah, I loved the golem.  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ggs_closet

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
I just picked this book up and so far like Jace. I like anyone who wakes up in another universe and shoots first. :)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »
When is the next one coming out?

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05:20 pm »
Looks like there's a new one out on March 30.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:33:48 pm »
I picked this one up a little while ago and definitely enjoyed it. Charlie is my favorite character in it  :D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

ggs_closet

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »
I just finished it.
Fantastic!!
Jace is a trip and Charlie a hoot.
I love books written in the first person. I get a better feel for the character. And honestly, I'm so into books right now that are light on the smex and heavy on plot. But I'm sure I'll be back on the lust train soon. :)

I'm definitely reading the next one.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:54 pm »
I've just read the book and enjoyed it. Charlie was brilliant! And Barant's got a dry sense of humour. I was laughing all the way through.

Yes, I'd agree Jace did make mistakes, jumping with two feet first without any thought process.

Not sure on Cassius, creepy vamp. But liked Dr. Pete.

Were-Chihuahua's LOL