Author Topic: Online Book Services: GoodReads, LibraryThing and More  (Read 82083 times)

Nadia Yar

Re: how many books do you own?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »
How many books do I own? No idea. I never thought to count them. Hundreds, in any case. Maybe over a thousand.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:02 pm »
How many books do I own? No idea. I never thought to count them. Hundreds, in any case. Maybe over a thousand.
Ooo!  Oh, what she said!
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Nadia Yar

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »
 :)

He's actually the guy who reads the new history that everyone is talking about, but no one has actually read.

Excuse me - exactly what is this new history?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:37 pm »
I think she was speaking generally, not about a specific book. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 06:19:10 pm »
Heh.  I had someone I thought was doing that, & was really impressed (the guy was a hunk -way too young for me, but hubba hubba) until I found out it wasn't a (an?  Why, the 'h' is pronounced!) historical biography, it was the latest (at that time) by - oh rats, I 've blanked out on his name.  Anyway, it was Hannibal, about the 'silence of the lambs' guy.  yuk.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Jazzlet

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 05:09:08 am »
Me too.

Then there's the maps, I'm not sure there is anything quite like the British Ordnace Survey anywhere else? I don't have all of them by any means, but do have the one for everywhere I have been; about six foot of 1:50,000's ::)

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 03:52:44 am »
Lots!!!  ;D

No seriously, I guess I have about 1000 fiction books in Englisch and about the same amount in German (including YA and children books), around 200 non-fiction books (most of them biology related but also biographies) and more than 1500 ebooks.

Taphien

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 02:57:45 pm »
How many? If I had to guess, 500 plus.  Not including our kid's books.  They get books birthday, Christmas and Easter.  And any other time I want, particularly when they were little.  The only way books leave this house is if I buy a lot for just one or two books, knowing I don't want the rest, to put in the book lending library at work, or to pass on to someone who really wants it.  I would guess near 1000 between the four of us.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:34:36 pm by opramum »
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 03:21:41 pm »
My first guess would be that I have around the 600-700 number of books, but I fear that if I actually made the effort to count them I might end up with a thousand+ number because they are stored all over the house.
I'm afraid I kept every book I ever read (and a large number I didn't read), all except my baby books.

Mainly fiction and there it's an almost even split between Horror and Sci-Fi, my non fiction Library consist mostly of books about movies/movie making, dinos and the Civil War (the US one).

Just ignore the shelf full of selfhelp books, that's my private little dating central section... :-X
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Killer Kitten

• Tinker
  • Kitttens Kill
    • MySpace
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 01:58:32 pm »
Wow. Bowing down to all of you!! I often go to libraries for my books -- and have large late fees because I want to keep the books -- instead of buying them. I have around a hundred books. The only ones I keep are the ones that I reread over and over (and I will admit that I have read some of them 20+ times).

My favorites are :
The Mercy series, Harry Potter books, The twilight series, and Wutheringheights!

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 02:51:15 pm »
Ah, Lucille, you are just a youngling with plenty of time to practice!  Welcome.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 06:04:21 pm »
Wow. Bowing down to all of you!! I often go to libraries for my books

The library is my second home :D

The books I own are books I have been collecting for about 30 years; I buy much less these days but tend to keep what I buy.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 06:03:52 am »
add 8 more to my collection thanks to my series addiction.

drosdelnoch

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 12:49:25 am »
Currently unsure of numbers probably around the 2K mark.  Will know more when I get it all catalogued for insurance purposes.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:16 am »
Cataloged?  Oh, I want to do that so much!  It will take a while though... sigh... so much organizing before that!  :)
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!