Author Topic: Online Book Services: GoodReads, LibraryThing and More  (Read 82002 times)

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
Re: how many books do you own?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 12:43:17 pm »
10,000 books!!! you are my hero.  my husband would divorce me. not for the books but for the bill.  I would love to have that many though.  <sighs at the injustice of it> ;)

Temari

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:15 pm »
Temari bows down to dsgholam - that's amazing!  :D

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:22 pm »
W-O-W!  You have like your own built in library

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »
Well, I don't have 10,000 but at last count about 4 years ago it was over 1000. I prune periodically and don't buy many anymore but even so I still have books on boxes. The books are a mix of sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural, romance, mystery, childrens books (for school), mythology and folklore, religion and philosophy, some classics, a smattering of science and history and assorted reference books.

I need a bigger condo.  :D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 06:16:19 pm »
Those are my family's books, but yes it is very like living in a library. My dad wants to build a much bigger house with lots of built in bookshelves when he retires.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 02:06:59 am »
dsgholam you're very much like my mother, she has more or less that many books too!! :D
As for the resident mazoku, I made a rough estimate, since I don't have all of my books handy, that I own something between 500 and 600 books :) I don't think my manga collections count, but in that case the number would go up exponentially... ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 05:21:12 am »
700 or so.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 02:31:07 am »
I have to make a wild guess, but I'd say 700 or 800 AT LEAST....... I kept all the books I ever read - even my childhood-books - except the books I had from the library or borrowed of friends...   I will keep my childhood books until I have kids who are old enough to read them  ;)  I guess they will have fun with my good ole Enid-Blyton-books.... which count  - I guess - 40 alone....

I have buried my nose in books as long as I can think.... now I AM buried in books.... thank god we have so much room for the old books in boxes ;) ;) ;)

GW  WK  WH

Jerseybean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:31 am »
probably about 1500, about 100-150 are pure academic and a large portion of the rest are scattered between friends and family I've lent them to over the years.  In my own home I'm really limited on space so my books get culled ruthlessly every year to make room for shiny new stories.

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 01:56:31 pm »
Uhhum. I personally have at least 100. I'm running out of room and my dad refuses to buy me another bookshelf, so my books are stacked up next to my bed. I love my books. My brothers aren't allowed to touch them. I flip out.  ::) Yep. Neko's crazy. I admit it. And it probably doesn't help that I have to get a new book every so often.... Mom teases me all the time. "Are you going to take your books to college with you?" and "Your roommate is going to hate you with all of your books in tow."

I'll only bring some. I swear. Just my favorites..... which would be most of them. ;D
^.^ ~Neko~

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 03:14:11 pm »
Between my husband and I, we have about 3,000.  But our goal is to be like dsgholam's dad. 

The collection is pretty heavy in non-fiction (history, religion, music) but I also have a pretty big section of literature (classics) and lit crit.  Our genre fiction is nowhere near as large, but that's the way we are.  I should note that my husband reads almost no fiction.  He's actually the guy who reads the new history that everyone is talking about, but no one has actually read.

I tend to purge the fiction sections more often than the others.  Some books I just know I will never read again, while others I've had to buy second (or third) copies of.  However, my purging of the non-fiction is severely handicapped by my husband, who, if he could, would never get rid of a book.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:32:35 pm »
So he'd be a book dragon, with his hoard.  I'm generally reluctant to release fiction, don't buy much fact; plan on borrowing it from the library systems as needed.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 03:36:47 pm »
Heh, I don't care what the quizzed say, I am a Book Dragon. I was probably a librarian in a former life. :)

I buy moslty fiction, keep 90% of that and sell, donate to trade the other 10%. Most of the non-fic that I buy is school related or health related. I do indulge in the occasional myth, phil or rel book. :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 10:54:34 am »
I can't count my own... too many are still in boxes from when my packrat husband and I (definitely also a packrat!) combined our households.  I *can* get rid of books, he cannot.  I was told by several friends (who were helping me move) that I own too many books.  Not possible   ;)

But I decided to count my kids books:
137 in their bedroom
5 in the bathtub
125 in the family room

Those are exact accounts... then the rough guesstimates from other areas of the house:

+~10 out of reach elsewhere (Hubby’s collection)
+~30 in storage from my own childhood.
Guessing ~25 or so in various bags for when we are on the go, and some I have yet to unpack from a (not-so-recent!) trip.  Books are great for distracting kids on planes, in restaurants, at the doctor's office!

So a little more than 300. wow. I hadn't ever counted them all before!   :o

But I'm pleased because I know how good it is for them!  And they LOVE books... btw, my kids are 2 and 4.
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 04:40:23 pm »
I'm not sure how many I have, but I recently culled out about 100 books, without making a significant dent in my collection. I'm seventeen, so you can see where most of my money goes!