Author Topic: Online Book Services: GoodReads, LibraryThing and More  (Read 82086 times)

therhoda

• Tool Wrangler
Online Book Services: GoodReads, LibraryThing and More
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:41:03 pm »
All right now i don't know how close you are to your book addiction but this is a must for those of us that like to hoard our preciouses. If you have no idea what i just said please feel free to run away now.

Are they gone? good!

Now my fellow biblioians here the stuff. http://www.librarything.com/ is a site that lets you catalogue your books online. Not only that it lets you keep up with others books, who you loan them to and best of all access it from things like your cell phone. So you know whether you have that book in that series or not in the store! Its so great! Umm other good things are the ability to talk to others who have similar libraries to you. You can also watch your friends libraries to see what they are buying and reading, or just to see who you can borrow off of. I LOVE this site so i got the life time membership and have entered all my good books into it. You can enter up to 200 for free though!

So do any of the rest of you have accounts? If so do you want to compare books? If not come on over little ones we have candy. (did that sound to bad?) I a m on there under the same user name so feel free to swing by and leave a message. I hope to see you guys over there.

Konrad

• Grease Monkey
    • My booklog
Re: librarything, a must for bibliophiles everywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:06:14 am »
I'm over there as "kgaert".  Because of the limit on the free account, I've had to omit series that I know I have complete sets of (Dragaera, Diskworld, Series of Unfortunate Events, Sandman, Bone, Girl Genius).

For people who use libraries more than bookstores, try Library Elf:
http://www.libraryelf.com/

therhoda

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:43:53 am »
Cool I am so happy I looked at your library and saw i had missed a book coming out. *head desk* so that was helpful!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:16 pm »
I haven't looked at this site yet, but I will.
I have to ask, though:  How secure is your personal info there?  I may be a paranoid putz, but it sounds like an amazing resource for thieves.

Besides, I once started a database of my books on my home computer (In days of old when a Winpro 486 was fairly new) and found the list too tedious to bother with.  I can't see doing it twice, or even listing it once, now that it's had a decade to reproduce.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

therhoda

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:19 pm »
well payment for the site goes through paypal, if your getting a paid account. As for security i am not sure what you want. You can have your library private and no one else can see it, if thats what you meant. 

As far as Information i think you can give them as much or as little as you want. Personally i have signed up on their advance reader as some publishers are giving them rpomo books months early for then to send out to get reviews and feed back on. Now so far nothing has come up that i want to really get my hands on, but i am hopeful!

i hope that helped and answered what you wanted to know.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:01:28 pm »
OK, that may be the coolest thing I've seen in a while.  I have to see if I can talk my husband into it.  Though it will take us forever!!  We have about 3000 books.  At last count.  4 years ago.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:43 am »
Thanks, Therhoda, that is the kind of information I was asking for.  I doubt I really have anything myself that would inspire thieves (although you never know, look at 'Antiques Roadshow', right?) but yeah, being able to keep the titles off the list that's open to the public is good, and telling them less about yourself as well, for the same reason.
I've resisted buying anything off the net myself, so no paypal for me, and that means that I can't at this time use the service, because a mere 100 books would hardly cover what's in my living room.  it does nothing for the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, the dining/office cubby, or, more importantly, what's stored in the former garage.  I'm with Jenniwee, last count is well back, and probably well into 4 figures.

But I do like the idea of the ARCs of books.  Even knowing that they may change substantially before they go into regular production.

therhoda

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:46:39 pm »
well not that its a drop in the bucket but you can have 200 in a free account.  personally i got a friend of mine to do the paypal since she is an ebay user so has one. I gave her the money and it was done it was so fun. Also they sell quecats, it is the coolest thing, it reads the bar codes and jsut enters them. You also said you did a data base of your books a few years ago, they have an import function. Not to tempt you or anything. *whistles innocently*

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 07:33:46 pm »
Ah, another minion of evil! ;D  Unfortunately, there's no way I can import it from the winpro, it's practically 'stone knives & bear skins' level tech, & the reason I stopped using it was that the battery died, & it won't do anything, even though it's run off the house current.  Thoroughly confusing to me.  But then, I date from the same era, see my sig. line!  ;D

therhoda

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 07:48:39 am »
Ah, another minion of evil!

Evil is such a limiting descriptor, i mean really i may be slightly morally challenged. but i am not a minion! i am a free agent of chaos in training I think.

Oh the other hand cataloguing your book is a good way to check what you have and in what condition they are. I used it to put things in a better order where i could actually find stuff in the book room again. Of course then I went and put all my manga in order then over the last few months i have out grown the shelves i have them in again. So i am back to boxes with labels again!

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
how many books do you own?
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:13:16 am »
We had a snow day here on Wednesday and I was fortunate enough that my 13 year old daughter got bored enough to go through my bookshelves and dust and organize all my most prized possessions..for a small fee of course.  anyway she put all my books in order of author, hardback and paperback..and she counted them also.  after she had finally empties all the boxes and cubbies and got them all arranged..I ended up with a grand total of 642 keepers, and a medium size tote marked for the local library.  Needless to say, my family all started called me "the Librarian", and kinda making fun of me, so i got to wondering if I am a packrat.  How many do you guys have on hand? and how many are keepers? do u keep everything you read?  I tend to keep everything i buy new, But in the summer i pick up lots of stuff at yardsales, flea markets and thrift shops, those i usually donate if no one else wants to read them, unless they are something i think i might want to eventually want to read again.  so what do you guys think? am i a weirdo or not?  ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: how many books do you own?
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:19:25 am »
Not.  I have more books than I can count, over 40 in my TBR pile (and growing) at last count, and boxes and boxes everywhere. 

Mind you, this is after I've radically streamlined my lifestyle.  I used to keep every single book I ever bought (and since it's my one addiction, that's a lot of books). 

It's an addiction, but it's a lot better than some others, after all.  ;)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:37:46 am »
I dont know how many I  do have although I am struggling for space in my room I have 2 big book shelves and they are already double stacked with books. But if I was to guestimate I think I have about 500 or so but thats a conservative guess:)
I love books and they are my addiction too ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Temari

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:04 pm »
Humm - well I have -
a 4 shelf high 6ft long bookcase with serious-type books (biographies, popular science, etc)
a 3 shelf bookcase with easy reading type things
a 7 shelf bookcase with a mix of things, mostly crime and historical novels
a 2 shelf bookcase with science fiction
and 5 large crates packed full of fantasy  :)

Not to mention the piles of unread and partly read books lying all over the house on every available table, desk and windowsill (probably about 30 or so books)

I like books!  :)

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 12:37:11 pm »
Personally, I have 5 bookshelves (7ft high x 3ft wide x two rows deep), plus stacks and bags and boxes and piles everywhere in my room. But if you count not just my books, but all the books in our house, we have, at a rough estimate, well over 10,000. So, I would certainly say 600-ish books is not overdoing it yet.  :D

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde