Author Topic: Diane Duane  (Read 50235 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Diane Duane
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:23:08 pm »
First noticed her with 'The Door Into Fire', a distinctly adult fantasy. (many of the characters are bisexual)
Look eagerly for her 'Young Wizards' books in YA or teen, eventually in children's books.
Here's a quote from 'The Wizard's Dilemma':  'You put your head in the closet, take a sniff, and tell me that again.... assuming you make it out of there alive.'
And that's not even evoking any of the wizardry.
She's also done some Star Trek novels.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Jazzlet

Re: Diane Duane
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:37:27 am »
And the cat wizards, 'On Her Majestys Wizardly Service' I think and another.....really love those.

Konrad

• Grease Monkey
    • My booklog
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:17:48 pm »
(many of the characters are bisexual)

That's rather an understatement. ;)  They're a bit hard to find (though there was a recent omnibus of the first two called The Sword and the Dragon), and the fourth book still hasn't been written yet.

The Book of Night with Moon (the first of the cat wizard series) is one of my all time favorite novels.  And the third book in the series is currently (very slowly) being serialized online:
http://www.the-big-meow.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:54:02 pm »
Greetings, Konrad.  The Big Meow was slowed down by her ill-health & the terminal illness of her mother in law.
The other lot, it's one of those things where, since it's called something like 'the book of the five', we expect 5 volumes, but there may not be that many.  I certainly hope so, I've been collecting them so long I've got one of the original volumes with David Gerrold's introduction & the fake out-takes involving the chicken in the dungeon.

Jazzlet

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:42 am »
(many of the characters are bisexual)

That's rather an understatement. ;)  They're a bit hard to find (though there was a recent omnibus of the first two called The Sword and the Dragon), and the fourth book still hasn't been written yet.

The Book of Night with Moon (the first of the cat wizard series) is one of my all time favorite novels.  And the third book in the series is currently (very slowly) being serialized online:
http://www.the-big-meow.com/

Thank you so much for that, I love, love love the cat wizards  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:38:28 pm »
Jazzlet, did you catch their cameo in 'Wizard's Holiday'?  It cracked me up.

Jazzlet

Diane Duane
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:48:35 am »
The Young Wizard books are on my 'to buy' list Patti or a move to an area with a library that isn't so rigid in it's building. The Sheffield Central library has a completely separate childrens section, different entrance, staff etc and where they stock a book is important, as you have to pay for library transfers. Now I could use my adult ticket in there, but that means I have to remember to go there and as I am always returning  'adult' books I always start in the adult lending section, then get immersed in selecting new books there and either uses up my allotment or run out of time. I am lucky that they chose to file the cat wizards in the adult crime section or I'd not have come accross them.

But I don't really mind, it is nice to know that there are books I want to read waiting out there. And I am lucky to have a library that stocks as much good science fiction and fantasy as Sheffield does, it's where I discovered Patty along with many other real gems.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:39:52 am »
Good-oh.  Also, check out her Star Trek novels.  The last 2 in the 'Sword' series (I can't remember how they spelled the Romulan way of saying Romulan, so I'm not even going to try) aren't much good, in my opinion, I suspect they were written to pay bills/fulfill a bad contract, but the first 2 in that series were interesting for a couple of reasons.  1= there's a cross-series (of her books) reference, &,
2= remember the Horta?  One of her 10,000 children is serving on the Enterprise! ;D
I also like the crystal spider architect. :D

dini

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:45:53 pm »
I wish I still had my copies of the Doors, Hasai is one of my favorite characters of any species!

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:53:33 am »
Glad I'm not the only one waiting for the fourth 'door' book, I take the first three out and read them occasionally. I've also read the first 8 or so young wizards books, and the linked books with the cats (which I have now donated to my niece's school library).

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:34:04 am »
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, I've just been having a re-read and at the end of the Corgi paperback edition of The Door Into Sunset it says:-

"Here ends The Door Into Sunset. The fourth volume of this sequence, which tells the end of The Tale of the Five, will be called The Door Into Starlight."

I just wish she'd get on with it, because 16 years is a bit long to be waiting for a book!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Yes, it is, but there can be a multitude of reasons, including not being able to sell it to a publisher.
Simon(I think) Green hasn't finished the Wansor books he started in the 60s or 70s.

Shadowdaughter

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:31:13 am »
Yes, it is, but there can be a multitude of reasons, including not being able to sell it to a publisher.
Simon(I think) Green hasn't finished the Wansor books he started in the 60s or 70s.

Hm, perhaps she had only the intention of writing the fourht book after finishing Door into sunset and couldn't get started... I surely hope she does, even though her website does not give an inkling to that. Perhaps she lost interest in the series, sad as it would be.

Hasai was one of my favourites too. Very cute dragon.  :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
Yes, he's a neat person.
Another possible reason, mentioned regarding someone else with a long gap from another series, is that the author may feel they've changed too much to write a true sequel.  It's literally written by a different person after 16, 20 years.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »
Her newest Young Wizards is due out in April 2010!  http://www.dianeduane.com/  I am looking forward to it.