Author Topic: Werewolves and Children (General Theory Discussion)  (Read 73488 times)

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
Re: Werewolves and Children (General Theory Discussion)
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »
However, as I suggested in the Jesse thread, being a werewolf does not have to affect the DNA at all.  It is magical after all and can affect the whole person without doing anything to the basic DNA or the sex cells.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:12 pm »
However, as I suggested in the Jesse thread, being a werewolf does not have to affect the DNA at all.  It is magical after all and can affect the whole person without doing anything to the basic DNA or the sex cells.

Well, this now leaves it all up to world mechanics and only the author can really answer the question. Does being a werewolf cause changes in their DNA and can they pass it down to their children. If its all magic then even the werewolf babies would have human DNA and the non magical human mother would have to abort based on magic which she can't feel. If it is DNA then even the human children should get some of the wolf DNA.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:41 pm »

Well, this now leaves it all up to world mechanics and only the author can really answer the question.

Exactly so. This is purely a speculative thread and only Patty Briggs herself has the answers. We get to take what few nuggets of info she has given us in the various books and use those as the basis for our speculations. One of the fun things about this board, IMO, is being able to speculate and  to try to predict what will happen next. Fun!  bOuNcY
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 10:12:11 am »
So, what will happen? Will Mercy be able to bear werewolf cubs? Will they be some odd Hybrid? And, will Mercy ever have children in the course of the series?

Sam could be right, but I think there will be more too it that he theorizes. I literally have no clue what a Walker (if that is what Mercy is) Werewolf hybrid would be like. What if Sam is wrong? What if Mercy is no different from regular humans when it come to bearing werewolf babies (I doubt it... magic can do weird things but SOMETHING ALWAYS happens when you mix magic together)? What if, god forbid, the Werewolf conflicts with the Walker?

If it is shown the Mercy can bear werewolf children then Sam and Adam won't be the only one's interested in her. If word got out EVERY Dominant wolf would come tearing to the Tri-cities ready to do whatever it took to acquire a mate that would allow their Were children to live. No THAT would be an interesting conflict for one of the future books.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 10:27:20 am »
There would likely be some typy of influx, but not EVERY dominant wolf would show up.  Given the whole "all unmated female werewolves 'belong' to the alpha male of the pack" thing, it is possible that most alpha males in packs that have females will pick one of those rare females as his mate.  So, already mated, they're not going to rush off to get into a fight to the death with Adam to get the unwilling Mercy.  Even those Alphas or other dominants with human wives/mates are unlikely to dump them to grab at Mercy.

There would be some, I expect.  Although they might wait until it's been proven, until Mercy & Adam have a child or two that lives at least a year or two, & shows it can change.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »
There would likely be some typy of influx, but not EVERY dominant wolf would show up.  Given the whole "all unmated female werewolves 'belong' to the alpha male of the pack" thing, it is possible that most alpha males in packs that have females will pick one of those rare females as his mate.  So, already mated, they're not going to rush off to get into a fight to the death with Adam to get the unwilling Mercy.  Even those Alphas or other dominants with human wives/mates are unlikely to dump them to grab at Mercy.

There would be some, I expect.  Although they might wait until it's been proven, until Mercy & Adam have a child or two that lives at least a year or two, & shows it can change.

True, I doubt "every" wolf would come running to fight for Mercy, but there would be a few. A point: I doubt the kind of wolves who would be willing to kill to get Mercy would care about dumping their current mate and many would try to have mercy and their old mate. (is there something in the books about an Alpha with multiple mates? Don't the Alphas in regular wolf packs have more than one mate?)

Any who... I guess its never been questioned if Mercy can have children at all so I think its probably safe to assume that, at the least, she is like every other human female when it comes to the children of Werewolves and , at the very most, the progenitor of a new breed of Werewolves.... though I;m guessing Mercy will be somewhere in the middle when it comes to the nature of her children.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 09:35:35 pm »
This is the Mercy and children question area, I think.  No reason from either side of Mercy's heritage that she couldn't have children, and no, wolves are monogamous for life.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 09:48:36 pm »
Any who... I guess its never been questioned if Mercy can have children at all so I think its probably safe to assume that, at the least, she is like every other human female when it comes to the children of Werewolves and , at the very most, the progenitor of a new breed of Werewolves.... though I;m guessing Mercy will be somewhere in the middle when it comes to the nature of her children.

Sorry guys, you're both in the wrong area. I guess I need to alter the subject line a bit.

This is actually "oops, I got impregnated by a werewolf, what happens next thread" but that was too long to fit there. ;)

If you want to discuss the possibility of Mercy having children it's 3 or 4 threads below this one. Lots of speculation and theories going on there. You can find it here.
Hurog Means Dragon.

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »
I don't know if this thought has been brought up yet, but couldn't the female Were-Wolf just remain in her Wolf form till it is time for the baby to be born and then shift back into her human form?

Also, is there a time limit or restriction to how long a Were-Wolf can remain in their wolf form? Cause, I don't think it's ever been said in the books.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 05:59:03 pm »
Yes.  That question has been asked before.
The general feeling seems to be that staying longer in the wolf shape makes the wolf more ascendant, which could be very dangerous.

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »
Yes.  That question has been asked before.
The general feeling seems to be that staying longer in the wolf shape makes the wolf more ascendant, which could be very dangerous.
You phrased it almost exactly as I thought!

And I think there is some "wolf DNA": Bran's, Charles's, and Sam's wolves are all smart, in different ways.
Please Check These Out!

Loleczka

• Tool Wrangler
  • Destiny child ;)
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 02:47:20 am »
Hey, come from Polish so I immediately apologize for his English.
I tried to read from your posts as much as possible, but I do not know if I succeeded, so if you correct me.
The main reason for losing children by a woman is compelled werewolves change into a wolf when the full, right?
Charles's mother stopped her transformation, but by birth and died, well
I write?
And if werewolves asked the magicians to stop asking for change for 9 months? Does a witch would give advice?
This case makes me very curious and would be grateful if someone replied.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 07:33:21 am »
Yes, female werewolves can not carry babies 9 months because of the full moon change of shape.
Blue Jay Woman, Charles' mother, used her peoples magic to stop the change, but it weakened her and she died.
Witches powerful enough to stop the change use black magic, which comes from suffering and death.  This is probably why werewolves have not done this before now.  We do not know from anything Patty has written if it has been tried, or if any witch has been consulted about it.  They probably have done at some time, not all werewolves are nice.
Thank you for asking, I hope this answers you so you understand.  I am not Patty Briggs, so I could be wrong.

Loleczka

• Tool Wrangler
  • Destiny child ;)
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
Patti L. Patti L thank you, that I responded. Brightened a little in my head. I know that you are not Briggs. Once more thank you.

dee

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »
after reading all these i wonder if there's a way ariana can use fae magic to carry her pregnancy to term.....the fae have the most bizarre magic ever i mean they made a staff that gives a lamb twins.....i'm sure she can strike a deal with a powerful fae that can help them.....dangerous a s it may be  >D :-whistle