Author Topic: Werewolves and Children (General Theory Discussion)  (Read 73486 times)

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
Re: Werewolves and Children (General Theory Discussion)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:51:08 am »
I never thought about Charles' grandfather. for some reason I think he died before Charles really got to know him.
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 08:24:38 am »
From Charles reaction in A&O, I got the feeling the whole subject is a sore spot for him.  He doesn't want to tell the story and when he does he tells it like a folk story that he has been told all his life, not like it's his own history.  I think he's really ambivalent about how to feel about it.  His mom died to have him, his father wanted her to stop so she wouldn't die (which would have effectively killed him) and he is now a legend among weres.  I don't think he would risk the life of another woman just so his brother could have a kid.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 12:34:03 pm »
yeah i think its a very sore spot for charles and i don't think that sam really would want for his mate to die either, hes too nice.

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

jenglows

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 02:01:43 pm »
I think Sam just wants more children, preferably were, but I think he says something somewhere that the medical resources are so much better now that he feels like his children would have a better chance to survive. I think most of them were killed by disease, right?  That doesn't happen these days with the same frequency as a few hundred years ago..

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:04:01 pm »
I think that thats ALL that Sam wants though.  And even if it is better, I dont think it would change anything because the changes are still going to be just as violent.  Unless they want to get a seraget mother, but then his mate wouldnt have a blood relation would she?

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 04:24:21 pm »
i dont think thats all sam wants, i think he really does love and want mercy

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

malika

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 05:37:52 pm »
Not just Leah. Remember, Adam told Mercy something about how Honey fights dirty, since she can't really fight fair if she's a female and smaller than the males. Same with human females in most cases, too.... If you can't win by brute strength, cunning and viciousness is the only way you can win.

Lightning

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 04:58:07 am »
i know that female weres can't have kids but what about using surrogates?
long live Briggs<br />Alpha and Omaga Rocks  <br />Pity those foolish enough to get between me and the books

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 07:25:25 pm »
Okay, this isn't exactly about MERCY and children, but about werewolves & children in general.
Deadfrog said:
Maybe those werewolves who want children very much actually do adopt children. We have not really seen many werewolves so far that miss having children and family. Sam is one such case. He still wants a family despite the pain that might follow. Other old wolves might simply have decided that they are better off without family outside of their pack because it is too painful for them to see their children grow old and die.

The decision for adoption might not be entirely up to the couple in question, either. There is always the question if the pack's alpha will allow them to adopt a stranger's child. I think it was the Marrok who arranged for Mercy's adoption, not her grandfathers great uncle through which she had some tie to his pack. I don't think that an adoption would have taken place if Bran had objected to Mercy's presence. Some alphas object to pack members forming ties outside of the pack. This would certainly apply to adoptive and foster children, too. Leo is one such example. A pathological example maybe, but still an example. Another example is the alpha of the Emerald City pack. In "Seeing Eye", this was given as a reason that Tom went for outside help in locating his missing brother.   

We need to keep a couple of things in mind about adoption & fostering children.

1. it's only in about the past 50 years that those have been regulated to death.
2. werewolves who weren't out would very likely have had a bit of trouble meeting criteria to adopt or foster in the past 20 years or so, but not before.
3.  Can we say "Mariposa"?  Yes, in other words the wolves of hundreds of years ago had no problem with fostering.

Now that the wolves (some of them) are out, they'll very possibly end up on one end or the other of the "desirability scale" for adoption & fosterage.  Some few social workers, & maybe systems, will go "Score!  Fierce guardians!  Strict disciplinarians!"  Most, alas, will fall noisily onto the other scale, "Monsters, magicals and mutants, oh my!  Not on MY watch, thank you very much."
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:16 am »
I figure that some of the other wolves in the various packs might want to adopt children. Because from past experience of hearing stories from other people, including my own mother who couldn't have children of her own. Would give any thing to have children.

I figure that some of the women and men in the pack would feel the same way. No matter the cost of seeing them grow old and die. If nothing else they might even offer the opportunity to their adopted children of being Were-Wolves themselves. How else would the packs survive without adding new members? At the time the Marrok was very strict on the conditions and secrecy of their existence.   

deadfrog

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:22 pm »
The children would not be part of the pack, no more than human mates are part of the pack. They would be a side project of the wolves in question that is separate from their pack / wolf life.

The Marrok is against forced change. But that does not limit prospective new wolves to children of pack members. Other family members will know. In "Seeing Eye", Tom's brother obviously knew that Tom was a wolf, and Mercy's mother remembered tales about her great-great-uncle the werewolf. And the existence of werewolves was never a secret in the supernatural community, witches and wizards always knew of their existence.

I had forgotten about Mariposa. Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:53:27 pm by deadfrog »

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »
I think having children as part of a Were's family would be interesting. Sure, you can't go to school and brag that your father is a Were-wolf, but still having  a parent that could turn furry would be interesting to say the least. Lying to them would be hard, because they can smell a lie. If a bunch of bullies picked on you or a  street gang is giving you problems, all you have to do is tell your parent and no more problem.

I bet that where ever there is a pack of wolves, there's no street gangs. I think the pack would put a stop to those street gangs.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
These are from something I posted on another thread. They contain some theories I have.

Is still don't see why its not like that. Even though the child of a werewolf is 100% human they would still carry genetic material from their werewolf father. These recessive genes could have an effect on their chances of surviving the change (good or bad). It makes sense, Genetic disorders can be passed down and even if a child does not demonstrate the disorder (children born human) they can still carry the gene.

People with a family history of cancer are higher risk. This doesn't mean they WILL get cancer but they are more prone to getting it. Why is it not the same with werewolves.

I actually have a hard time with the assertion that these "human" children don't inherit ANYTHING from their immortal parent. I'm betting they have better immune systems, heather hearts, longer life expectancies, and keen social senses. What if the "werewolf" is just burred really deep?

Another question is: So do the children of Werewolves have a greater immunity to the change or a genetic predisposition? I'm leaning toward the latter.

Another thought. If they do indeed have the predisposition, then would they have to suffer as severe an attack as a regular human or could they be changed with lesser wounds?

Going on another tangent: If two people who are the children of or descendants of werewolves have a child could the recessive Genes express themselves and result in a natural born Werewolf? ( I understand that this is unlikely in Mercy's world) I mean, why does the child have to be born with the ability to change? Why couldn't it wait until the child had matures, like making it most of the way through puberty before the wolf traits really start to manifest? Kinda like puberty on steroids... you get all emotional, you're pumped full or hormones, new desires kick in, you get all hairy, and you turn into a monster once a month (ok, bad joke... sorry)

I'll continues in this grove. If a female werewolf miscarries during the first full moon that means it is either the change of the mother that causes the miscarriage or something else. (though the books seem to suggest its the mother's transformation that causes the miscarriage)

I imagine that a fetus one month old is little more than a collection of cells. If the cells try to transform, what would that do to them? What changes? The futus is already growing as fast as it can so its hard to imagine the activity being the culprit. In fact there HAS to be two separate reasons why Were babies don't survive human and Were mothers. Humans: genetic rejection. Weres: ??????????? The genetics match... so what is the problem?

Perhaps they wolves are missing something, some combination or special circumstance? What if there is a stage of evolution that needs to take place? What would cause this evolution? Is the answer in Charles, does he carry something that could solve the issue... does Mercy?

Why do wolves change during the full moon? What triggers the transformation? If its hormones (very likely) then drugs can be used to inhibit the transformation (maybe... they got tranquilizers to work, right?)

I know its long but I think a lot.  :)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:20 pm »
I seem to recall that the woman aborts any children with werewolf DNA. THAT is why all the children of werewolves are 100% human. the non-human ones don't survive to be born (at this time, at least).
The mother's body can't handle the non-human DNA and kills the child.

So, in my opinion, that explains why children of werewolves don't have a better chance of surviving. there isn't any of the werewolf passed on to them.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »
I seem to recall that the woman aborts any children with werewolf DNA. THAT is why all the children of werewolves are 100% human. the non-human ones don't survive to be born (at this time, at least).
The mother's body can't handle the non-human DNA and kills the child.

So, in my opinion, that explains why children of werewolves don't have a better chance of surviving. there isn't any of the werewolf passed on to them.

I bet that most of the Werewolf DNA is human, and that the part that "makes" them Werewolves is actually a very small part of their DNA.o the DNA that allows for better immune system is probably compatible with humans... if it were not it would be IMPOSSIBLE for werewolves to have children with humans. A can have reproduce with a donkey and they get a mule, but a horse can't reproduce with a lion (that's for sure). So the issue is with mixing the DNA of two VERY closely related species. While much of the DNA is compatible there are some issues with combining certain genes that would cause the miscarriages.

Perhaps no Werewolf/Human child is fully human and the miscarriages are just a bad combination of genes... perhaps there has never been a true werewolf fetus that resulted from a Were/Human paring. Maybe The understanding that has prevailed in werewolf society for the past several thousand years has been wrong... (they are way behind on woman's right and the only "research" we've ever seen done on werewolves has been done by humans... perhaps its time for the werewolves to do some research into their own situation)

The only natural born Werewolf is Charles, a result of a wolf/wolf paring. So it would follow that if you could find a way to hold of the change (with drugs or a genetic mutation) werewolf couples could have children.