Author Topic: Alpha and Omega movie about wolves coming out 2010  (Read 4770 times)

dhampir11

Alpha and Omega movie about wolves coming out 2010
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:35:43 am »
Hi Patty.  I just wanted to say I love love love the Mercy Thompson series.  I lived in Richland for a while when I was a kid, so it's an extra bonus to read about the Tri Cities.

I just wanted to let you know that there's a movie listed on IMDB called Alpha and Omega about wolves.  Here's the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213012/

I don't think titles can be copyrighted, but since it's the title of one of your series about wolves, I think it's a little confusing.  I just wanted to be sure you knew in case your lawyer or agent should be saying something (maybe not, but just in case.)  Of course, if it's based on something you wrote, that's awesome, but it didn't quite sound like it was from the plot description.

Anyway, love your books!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Alpha and Omega movie about wolves coming out 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »
Hi dhampir,

I'll pop in here and address this. It was brought up before when someone saw the movie listing on IMDB a few months ago. Mike answered it, I think, mentioning how old the term "Alpha&Omega" was and how it wasn't something that could be copyrighted. I'll have to go looking for his direct comment about it but just wanted to let you know that Patty and Mike are aware of the upcoming movie and they have no affiliation to it. :)

Regards!
Elle

ETA: Apparently I was dreaming it was one of our other members and I attributed the post to Mike. Sorry, Mike! Here's the thread in question:
Alpha and Omega in 3D. I'll see myself out now.  :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:08:11 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Alpha and Omega movie about wolves coming out 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »
Yep.  I hope the movie is good -- and I'm glad it was the title for the series and the novella they are using and not any of the novel's proper -- it keeps the confusion down <grin>.   Titles can't be copyrighted, but we usually try to keep to titles that are either not in the same genre or very old.  And if there is a famous book by that name, most of us avoid using the title -- for instance I don't think we'll ever see a book called The Two Towers again.   But I'm not above borrowing a great title.  Andre Norton had a great book (aren't all of hers?) called Moon Called.  It was not about werewolves, but when I wanted a werewolf title -- that was the first one that occurred to me.  Since the subject was entirely different, and it had been a decade at least since Ms Norton's book had been written, I didn't feel too guilty about it.

Masques, incidently, was supposed to be Masks, which would have been a good title -- which Masques was not.  I still have people ask me about Mass-squeeze <grin>.  But Penguin also published Koontz who had a book called Masks and they were afraid that the bean counters might make mistakes when accounting time came around.  I told them I wouldn't mind <grin>, but agreed to change the title.  I was new, my editor (Laura Anne Gilman) was also fairly new, and so neither of us saw a problem with the title at the time.
Best,
Patty Briggs