Author Topic: Madeline L'Engle  (Read 6357 times)

toastedfroglegs

• Grease Monkey
  • I dont negotiate with my food
Madeline L'Engle
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:48 pm »
for those of you who dont know, Madeline L'Engle the author of A Wrinkle in Time series, passed away this past weekend.  i heard about it on the website of one of my favorite authors. im told that the chicago tribune had a very good obituary, so i direct you all there.  when i get my copy, i will post it here for all to view (although that will be a while)
you will be missed, Madeline.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Madeline L'Engle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:12:39 pm »
A Wrinkle in Time was my first intro the genre.  She will be missed.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:35:12 am »
I read about this in the NY Times, and was so saddened. She was one of my favorite authors. I was also very surprised that I didn't see this story anywhere else - although a friend from Books & Chat said she read it on MSNBC.

I loved her Wrinkle in Time series, and my other favorites were A Ring of Endless Light and Dragons in the Waters.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:55:25 pm »
Anyone see the tv adaptation of 'Ring of Endless Light'?  I think it was Disney channel.
If you look at the more recent editions, there are elaborate family trees, showing that the Austins & the other family are entwinned.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:58:25 pm »
When was this TV adaptation shown?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:55:56 pm »
I don't remember clearly, sorry.  I think summer 1-3 years ago.  Bet you can find it in DVD by now.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 02:09:49 pm »
I looked it up on IMDB.com and they trashed the movie. Apparently they changed the plot *considerably* and left out vital characters, etc. So I think I'll pass, and just read the book again :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:35:06 pm »
probably wise of you.   I get really cranky when they do that to good books.  I've had an epiphany though, thanks to some of the other movie related threads here, & decided that from now on, I'm going to think of those adaptations as simply sharing the same title, & maybe some character names with the book I love, not as specific adaptations.  As though some oh, talent agent, had been lunching with both a screen writer & a book writer, & somehow gotten each to agree to write a story called (as a random example) 'How I learned to microwave people by pointing & yelling Kutotu!', and containing characters called Fred and Betty.  It may keep me on a more even keel.

toastedfroglegs

• Grease Monkey
  • I dont negotiate with my food
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:18:10 pm »
sometimes that sort of change is interesting...  i know i found considerable enjoyment in the anime "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo  mostly because it was more scifi than the book.  (wont stop the count from being my favorite book, of course...)

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:11 am »
Very sad about Madeline L'Engle - hadn't heard about it even now, many months later...

A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first fantasy novels I read and very very good.

It's true about movie adaptions of books - you really do have to accept them as completely different works.  Sometimes too much is changed and you know it is all about marketing, but there are times when it can still be a good story - as long as you accept that it's just different.  But sometimes there are things that work in books but just can't translate onto film.

As a Comp Lit major, one of my favorite things has always been to read different versions of the same story, or theme.  I can remember a film (BBC?) version of Midsummer Night's Dream that we watched in a freshman class.  It had Diana Rigg (sp?) and was set in modern times. All the fairies were naked (except for flowers) and painted green, with the film speeded up just a bit.  Most of the people in class were horrified. It was like sacrilege to do this to Shakespeare, the Great Bard.  But I think they were doing things that highlighted at least some of what Shakespeare was trying to do - point out differences between two different worlds, and really make the fairies wild creatures of nature.  Frankly, Shakespeare was an entertainer, and would probably have done some fascinating and innovative things with film if he could have.  Of course I had to write my paper on how good it was:)

So, all that to say, I'm going to have to track down that film version of L'Engle's book and check it out, if only out of curiosity to see what someone did with it.
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:16:10 pm »
I'm glad she is still popular.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 12:16:55 am »
I particularly enjoyed the quote at the end, and naturally searched it to be sure it was her comment, not someone else's the author tacked on because it seemed appropriate. And found this:
You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog