Author Topic: Linda Robertson  (Read 23545 times)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Linda Robertson
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:05:01 am »
Robertson’s a new author on the block and her debut novel “Vicious Circle” is very good. I read through it in no time at all and it kept me entertained. Here’s a bit:-

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do....

Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full -- even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. Then her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered...and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends -- werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them.

Recommended if you love the Patty’s, Mercy and Ilona’s, Kate, there are some elements that are similar. For example all non-human people have come out so to speak - but unlike the Mercy books where we see the gradual process - the werewolves, witches…are being persecuted and discriminated against. But there are a view new ideas and liked seeing more about the witches mythos. And the heroine Seph is a good character she makes mistakes but she will learn from them and adapt, I like that, she seems very real. Can’t wait for the next instalment in December, will be looking out for “Hallowed Circle”.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Linda Robertson
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:22:27 am »
I’ve found a review of the book that sums up its goodness and awesomeness, in a way I just couldn't articulate before, here it is, from www.FantasyLiterature.net, http://www.amazon.com/Vicious-Circle-Linda-Robertson/dp/1439154287/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The bare bones of this story will be familiar to urban-fantasy devotees: Werewolves, vampires, faeries, and witches all exist and have become public knowledge in recent years. Girl, tough and feisty, takes it upon herself to dispense justice in a supernatural murder case. Girl is chosen against her will to play a major role in paranormal affairs. Girl is wooed by attractive werewolf and attractive vampire. I was worried Vicious Circle would be just like a hundred other novels with a similar premise, but Linda Robertson does some really interesting things to make her story stand out.

First, she realistically explores what might happen if supernatural races existed and came out of the closet. Vampires are well-regarded in society due to the glamorous image they have cultivated; faeries have gained acceptance by pretending to be harmless. Weres, however, are treated as second-class citizens. Persephone Alcmedi does her best to fight these attitudes, writing a pro-were newspaper column and renting out her basement to weres as a full-moon shelter. Anti-were prejudice hampers Persephone's mission at every turn. No cop wants to touch a were-related case, and no hospital wants to treat a were patient.

I was also impressed by the unusually accurate Wicca in Vicious Circle. (OK, so real Wiccans don't shoot visible bolts of brightly colored energy when they cast spells, but that's creative license!) The belief system, the ethical code, and the structure of Persephone's rituals are clearly well-researched.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Persephone is not the misanthropic heroine you might expect. She has a lot of emotional boundaries that keep her from being a social butterfly, but at the same time, she has a powerful protective streak when it comes to those she cares about. "Do you always take care of people?" asks a young girl whom Persephone has just taken under her wing. The answer is yes. In the early pages of Vicious Circle, Persephone finds herself sheltering her grandmother, a Great Dane puppy, a severely injured werewolf, and the aforementioned little girl, along with her usual canine visitors. As the plot unfolds, trying to protect everyone is a full-time job. I found this aspect of Persephone's character refreshing and unusual.

I enjoyed Vicious Circle, and I'm interested in seeing where this series goes. I think it has a lot of potential.

EDIT: added source and link - charmed, books mod
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:43:44 pm by charmed »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:37:52 am »
Pendle, could you please edit the post to say what news article/blog/magazine, etc, that the review is from and who wrote it? Or link to it? We ask that all quotes are properly attributed. Thanks :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:54:02 am »
I really liked this book-as a matter of fact, I've already put the sequel (Hallowed Circle) in my cart. (Darn you Amazon for tempting me with all those books!)

*Hope you don't mind me butting in...but as for the quote I saw it on Amazon by Melusine (www.FantasyLiterature.net)

http://www.amazon.com/Vicious-Circle-Linda-Robertson/dp/1439154287/ref=pd_sim_b_1
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »
Thanks SMichelle :) I added the info to Pendle's post.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:56 am »
Thanks SMichelle :) I added the info to Pendle's post.

Thanks.  :)

I really liked this book-as a matter of fact, I've already put the sequel (Hallowed Circle) in my cart. (Darn you Amazon for tempting me with all those books!)

Yeah, I've pre-ordered it. (I spend a small fortune on books.) Anyway, I'm firmly in team Johnny 8) because that vampire's a complete slime. Would do you think?

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 03:53:13 am »
I don't know.  I liked Johnny at first, but his high-handed behavior (after the heroine *specifically* told him- don't screw with the vampire) has made me a little leary.

Johnny's actions led to the death of a man (okay-a scum bucket, but still) and could have very well led to the death of a young girl, Seph's grandmother, and Seph herself .

His actions may have been with the best of intentions, but you know what they say about good intentions... >D

However, Johnny has a chance to redeem himself in the series I think.

As for Menosses, rotting leaves smell aside- *he* was the one that was going to do the killing of the girl, the grandmother and the heroine .  So I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.  Also, he *forced* the stain on her without her permission so I see a lot less chance for redemption in his case.

However, according to the mythos of the Lustrata Seph needs them both.  
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:21:10 am »
Johnny and Menosses were trying to get one over each other and that won't work to get the girl. I think Johnny can be redeemed, Seph might stay pissed off a while longer but it depends what happens next.

Anyway, I love Nana she's wicked and I'd like to see more from Bev she's got potential (who says you can't have children in urban fantasy/paranormal fiction?)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 02:33:52 pm »
First chapter for Hallowed Circle is up on Linda Robertson's website.

http://www.wolfsbaneandabsinthe.com/

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:44:50 am »
I really liked the first book in this series and ordered the sequel on amazon...now I'm waiting for it  bOuNcY
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:18 pm »
Going to have to re-read Vicious Circle. Than I'll be right on to Hallowed Circle. Though I've had a sneaky look at it seems promising.

The new cover for Fatal Circle is up on Robertson's blog. www.wolfsbaneandabsinthe.blogspot.com/

I really like it. :)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:26 pm »
I just finished Hallowed Circle and it was very good, even better than the first book.

lilliana

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:55 am »
I agree Charmed. I really enjoyed reading the Eximium - very cool insight on the witch and Elders world. I really like the direction this series is headed. I look forward to reading the next book Fatal Circle comes out June 29.  :D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 09:44:03 am »
I loved Hallowed Circle. And the Eximium tasks. Just not sure what to make of Samson.

But I'm itching to get hold of Fatal Circle.

lilliana

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 04:58:36 am »
Samson may cause problems for Seph - but he may also be useful. Who knows, maybe they will become frienemies.   ;)