Author Topic: Books to Movies  (Read 62852 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Books to Movies
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2019, 05:02:26 am »
I have some problems with that list, starting with the fact that dwarfs as a species are non binary, and it's the fact that Cheery wants to dress as her biological gender that causes her to be ostracized. But that's also my problem with using cultural markers as indicators for gender. Dress, makeup, and hair style are cultural markers that have nothing to do with biological gender, and cultural norms for gender in one group can be the opposite in another group. They would be better understood as logistical, practical, and individual expressive considerations.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2019, 05:38:38 am »
Oh, the whole thing has "TV adaptation of stuff that started being written 40 years ago" coated like fondue.  Did you see the way they worded the bits about Carrot & Angua? Makes it sound as though Angua had been there first.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2019, 05:51:28 am »
@tordotcom
·
22h
Surprise surprise! A brand-new #JurassicWorld short film is premiering this Sunday on FX and online:

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2019, 12:54:51 pm »
 :D

Yes, I did see the part about Carrot and Angua. And I agree about the adaptation part in general, but it's from Night Watch, which came out in 2002. I have just finished a reread of the Witches thread, and it's become increasingly apparent to me that, while TP was ahead of his time with ace characters, the same is not true of LGBTQ ones. Maskerade (1995) is not outrageously homophobic, but it did make me, as a straight ally, slightly uncomfortable. In fact, I can't think offhand of a single recurring character whose gender is anything other than cis. Granted, I may not have the terminology down completely, and half of it didn't exist 20 years ago, so YMMV.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2019, 08:40:55 pm »
@tordotcom
·
14h
The new #JurassicWorld short film, which airs on FX and online this Sunday, takes place one year after the events of Fallen Kingdom: