Author Topic: Books to Movies  (Read 67285 times)

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Books to Movies
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2010, 12:56:13 pm »
It's not just books to movies that they mess with - sometimes it's the real life adaptations too!  We were just reading that the eldest Von Trapp sister just passed away, and were reading her comments on how wrong the broadway musical (from which the movie is adapted) got wrong about her family and their experiences.  We love the movie (Sound of Music) and she said the play was very nice - if it had been about a family named Miller - it just wasn't hers!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:58 pm »
I've read (and now wish I'd kept) three or four volumes of Maria Von Trapp's memoirs.  Interesting; I remember she particularly commented that she'd found the whistle signals necessary, rather than offensive, because of the size of the property.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
Ok I liked the LOTR trilogy even if they didn't stick exactly to the books - they did a good job with it this last time and I was impressed. They got the highlights of the book.
I sort of like the Harry Potter ones, but even then the 5th one was so dissappointing I almost swore off them.
Blood and Chocolate I never read the book, but the movie was good - so I am willing to read the book.
For the most part I find the books better than the movie, and I cringe when a book is being made into a movie and if it is pray that is done right.
Something I tell everyone when they see a movie especially a book - to - movie, go in with absolutely no expectations - that way your not too dissapointed, and keep in mind if it doesn't directly effect the story line then it got cut out. Case in point lord of the rings and harry potter - The actual time line of the LOTR novels covers almost 50 years, and how Frodo got his sword and what not was not really the way they showed in the movie, but the way it was portrayed and because they needed to be given the swords worked out well with the story and it didnt' take away from it. In Harry Potter the 4th movie, my friend was really niffed that Neville gave Harry the gilly weed and not Doby the house elf. So go figure. That is my take on it anyway and how I view the movie. Now movie 5 of Harry Potter that guy butchered it - I don't think he bothered to research it or anything and the sad part was book 5 was only thick because of all the description in it, which should have made it the easiest book to convert to movie because it was almost all decriptions and instead they left all kinds of stuff out and lots of pertenint stuff to the story got edited or skipped - so ya it sucked.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

simplydreams

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2011, 03:41:44 am »
The movies rarely do justice to the books. I've accepted that, and whenever I go see a movie that I've read the book version of, I just take the film as a totally separate thing. Because if I didn't and started comparing the two, I'd just be disappointed in the movie a lot.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »
Anybody know anything about the adaptation of "Atlas Shrugged" that just popped up as being "in theaters now" on TV commercials, without so much as a single picture, just the title and voice over comment from (presumably) viewers?

Janilee

« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2011, 01:20:58 am »
I know it is a two part movie.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:39 pm »
"Pillars of the Earth" is on one of the premium channels now, a multi-part thing.  Anyone watching it?

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »
Is it a continuation into the next book or the original?  I saw the original the beginning of the year. I loved it!

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
I wouldn't have a clue, sorry.  Imdb, maybe?

Oh, to follow up on something in one of the social threads, M*A*S*H was a book adapted to a movie, then TV show.  The author wrote a follow up, "M*A*S*H goes to Maine" in 1972, then got in a contract to write about ten "M*A*S*H goes to..." books with a co-writer, they were trash, but amusing, and in '79, he alone wrote another "real" follow up, "M*A*S*H Mania".  None after the original made it to any screens, but they're amusing reads, and the "real" ones have some "The names have been changed to protect the innocent - and the guilty... >D " throat closer (make you cry) moments.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2011, 12:22:30 pm »
"Pillars of the Earth" was done like "Game of Thrones", but I don't think it's a series like "Game of Thrones".  I don't remember if it was Showtime that produced them, but they were well done.  I enjoyed both, however I have not read any of the books.

I wonder when "Game of Thrones" will be coming back.  It ended with dragons..................

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
Just watched a DVD I bought a couple of years ago (I think...) and hadn't opened, called "The Seeker".
Turns out to be an adaptation of Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" - don't know if it's one book or all three, since I have never gotten around to reading the books.
Interestingly, the bad guy was played by Christopher Eccleston, a recent Dr. Who.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2015, 09:49:43 am »

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
The Young Wizards series ought to be a lot more well known, for all kinds of reasons.

I actually think Pierce's Protector Of The Small series is her best, though I also love the one mentioned. POTS is all about a more or less normal person prevailing through sheer grit and hard work, with very little reliance on magic in a world where others have that advantage.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »
She personally has no magic, but the chamber entity took note of her, and she adopted (more or less) that young seer...

Love the young wizards.   "Don't destroy any civilizations while you're gone." 

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2015, 05:28:57 pm »
Yes, the Chamber took note of her, and then she had to work her butt off to do the task it set her. And the youngster was at least as much of a burden as a help. The birds and animals provided most of any magical advantage Kel had, as far as I could tell. But it might be time to reread! Haven't been into that series this winter. And it's been even longer for the Young Wizards. I think there might even be a more recent one of those I haven't read yet. The last one I read was Wizards At War.