Author Topic: Books to Movies  (Read 67382 times)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Books to Movies
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »
BUMP
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:48 pm »
What's BUMP?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
We post that sometimes to bring a thread to the top of the list so people can read it and decide if they're interested in posting in it, or if it should be cut for lack of interest.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »
Thank you!

Crescent

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2010, 02:48:17 pm »
I am looking to seeing "Water for Elephants".  This one of my all time favorite books.  Hope it is not too murdered in the transition to film.
sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?" then it hits me.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »
Didn't see a thread about comic books, but I just saw Kick-Ass and that's me already standing in line for the sequel!    bOuNcY

A.Williams

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »
I usually hate when books go to movies. There is just way too much left out and it doesn't make for a good movie to me, even if I have read the book. You have this picture in your head of what the characters look like and more than 90% of the time when they cast a role for someone it never resembles the character (the character could be Asian and the person playing them is white). Memoir's Of A Geisha is a perfect example of a bad transition. The book was phenomenal but the movie was trash. Too many important details where left out, a few extra things that where not in the book where in the movie. The Twilight series movies are ok, I can't stand the books but have enjoyed the movies so far.

@ lostbird, I think making a comic a movie is much easier because there isn't as much going on. Haven't seen Kick-Ass but want to.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:54 am »
Ah, not right! There is a lot going on in comics, though it depends on the kind of comics you read, of course.
Point is, a comic is a visual medium, or at least more visual than books. Therefore it is easier made into a film than a book. But it can still be crappy, e.g. Batman & Robin...

Chalger

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:22 am »
I can't quite remember this scene in the book...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2010, 02:02:52 pm »
, not to mention
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2010, 02:42:26 pm »
I saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader over the weekend. I couldn't remember much of the book, so I uncovered my old copies of the series (published in 1970) and quickly read that book. I saw a lot of similarities as well as a lot of deviations. But the thing is, I prefer the movie. I thought they did a great job of making it more exciting and giving the plot some urgency. So more action, but also more psychology in the characters. So hurray for a better movie from a book.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
Ella Enchanted, worst ever!
It's one of those cases where you are left wondering if the script writers even bothered to read the book at all.
I'm not one of those sticklers that think a adaptation should follow the book word by word, but hell, they should at least try to keep its spirit. >:(
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »
Ella Enchanted, worst ever!
It's one of those cases where you are left wondering if the script writers even bothered to read the book at all.
I'm not one of those sticklers that think a adaptation should follow the book word by word, but hell, they should at least try to keep its spirit. >:(

Gerd, I've only ever seen the movie. How does it differ from the book?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2010, 05:31:18 am »
The book is less slapstick oriented but offers actually a, for a childrens book, rather thoughtful story.
The story and characters differ a lot, the movie follows a tangent that never really is explored but only feared by Ella (her being possibly commanded to kill Char) and introduces stuff that isn't in the book (like for example their version of the magic book) ... I guess the movie is an okay comedy if you don't know the book, it did remind me of the silly humour from Pirate Movie in it's better moments.

However, in the book Ella's obedience and her rebellious actions against this curse make a wonderful allegory about growing up and finding out who you are, an element that I couldn't really find in the movie. Somehow that got all drowned for me in the not so clever world set-up of the middle ages as a bubblegum coloured typical American amusement park, like they tried to create a live version of Shrek rather than adapting Ella Enchanted.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"