Author Topic: Doris Egan  (Read 7587 times)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung außerdem
Doris Egan
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:57:55 am »
Her Ivory books are some of my old time favourites, that I reread the last weeks. To those of you that don't know them - try to get them!!!
Did any of you read other books from her?
no signatures, no comment

Ellyll

• Pack Member
Re: Doris Egan
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »
I remember those.  I read The Gates of Ivory and Two-Bit Heroes(?) or something like that... 

They were good.  Very original.  I wonder if I still have them...
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Janilee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:43:23 am »
Last I checked there were three books in the series. She writes for television and hadn't put out any more books. I did enjoy the two main characters.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »
What does she write - sci fi, paranormal, urban fantasy, ??? Does she have a blog or website? What are her books like?

Details, people, details!! :D :D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung außerdem
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:13:33 pm »
Strictly speaking it is Sci - Fi, but the main characters deal more with magic than with science. Female leading character, 1st person POV. The third book is called guilt-edged ivory, Ellyll got the first two titles right.
no signatures, no comment

Janilee

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:38 am »
The last one I read was Two Bit Heroes. I believe I once saw a compilation volume. I enjoyed the humor. I also enjoyed the concept of missing your travel mode and needing to accommodate to a new culture.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:29 am »
Update:

Doris Egan has also published the book City of Diamond by Jane Emerson (Mar 1, 1996).
"The newly appointed Protector of an intergalactic city-ship, Adrian Mercati is urged by his predecessor to strengthen his position by locating the Sawyer Crown, an alien artifact that will give him superiority over his enemies."

She blogs, very seldom, here:

http://tightropegirl.livejournal.com/

She writes or has written for a number of TV shows:
Torchwood: Miracle Day (2011)
House (2006-present)
Tru Calling (2004-2005)
Numb3rs (2005)
Skin (2003)
The Agency (2003)
Smallville (2002)
Dark Angel (2001)
Profiler (1998-1999)
Profiler (1998)
Early Edition (1996)

She has also written a very few short stories, which might be hard to find, details here:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/e/doris-egan/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:33:27 pm by wizardbear »

Janilee

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:25:31 am »
I loved the Gate of Ivory series.  :D

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:36:30 am »
I got the first book when it was new, liked it, then she "dropped off my radar". Later I picked up the three-in-one, liked it too, and again, she "dropped off my radar". Didn't think her about her until I saw the thread. Went looking, found the book I mentioned, which she did under another name, maybe some one will try it and report back? Or check the web site and blog from time to time, and report any news? I can't keep track of every LOL mid-list author I like, when it's soooo long between books, wish I could. Maybe I should make a master check list?  LOL LOL  You know some thing like - Doris Egan - check once a year for new books or something like that?

Janilee

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:58 am »
With the way she writes you could wait years for that cheklist to provide anything. She made/makes her money writing for t.v. si I understand wwhy her book list is so short.

I bought the whole Ivory Gate series as they came out. Their wedding was funny.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:55 am »
Well, Wizardbear, how about using the Master List here as your "once a year checklist"?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

wizardbear

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:09:59 am »
Well, Wizardbear, how about using the Master List here as your "once a year checklist"?

That might work, I shall have to look and see. I fear it might be too large, but I could copy it and then trim it down. Thanks, Patti, that's a good idea.