Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 430499 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #975 on: September 05, 2020, 06:33:31 am »
Misha Marcout's family would probably be scandalized by the events that passed her genetic material.

Right, but the sisters didn’t have anything to do with that. It’s entirely possible to be simultaneously horrified by an event, and have a totally different reaction to an eventual outcome of that event.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #976 on: September 05, 2020, 07:41:18 am »
Indeed it is. Sadly, I think we are just going to have to wait for that information to be written.

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #977 on: September 14, 2020, 01:01:44 pm »
Cool Aunt link is up on the blog today.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #978 on: September 14, 2020, 05:15:37 pm »
Indeed it is. You are right Kyria. There is no information on how Arabella identified, the second male in the room.

I did have a thought. Rather than the greeting of a relative Grandfather, the greeting 'Grandfather' of a jeering youth referring to age.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:21:34 pm by Janilee »

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #979 on: September 14, 2020, 05:45:49 pm »
I did have a thought. Rather than the greeting of a relative Grandfather, the greeting 'Grandfather' of a jeering youth referring to age.
I would expect it to be "grandpa" if that were the case; at least in my part of the country and my generation.  "Grandfather" can be used derisively but...
okay here's a conundrum, how to explain this quirk of use of the English language.  So used jeeringly, "Grandpa" would be the term, as in, "Watch it, Grandpa!" or if I'm talking to someone I know and making fun of them for acting "old," I would still use "Grandpa."  But I also called both of my grandfathers "Grandpa" and use "grandfather" to refer to the relationship type rather than to the person.  "Grandpa" is an affectionate term when referring to a grandparent.  So if I had a grandparent that I didn't like, I might address them as "Grandfather" to highlight the fact that I have a biological relationship with them but no real personal connection.  I might also use "Grandfather" as a term of respect if I was addressing an older man in certain cultural contexts. 

IA also uses "Grandma" and "Grandmother" in a similar way: The Baylor girls refer to Grandma Frida, with whom they all have a close personal relationship and a great deal of mutual love and affection, but Grandmother Victoria, with whom they have a polite but distrusting relationship.

TL/DR: I don't think Arabella is using "Grandfather" as a jeer.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #980 on: September 14, 2020, 05:53:34 pm »
We ordered the dead tree book, finally received it, but never got the email with the link. :(

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #981 on: September 14, 2020, 06:07:13 pm »
I had to go back to a previous email to find the link, Z, but I guess it doesn't matter now since the story has been shared on the blog as of today :)

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #982 on: September 14, 2020, 08:12:08 pm »
I can't say either way. It was merely a stray thought.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #983 on: September 15, 2020, 06:41:25 pm »
at the end of the book I thought the older man would be Ceasar. could still be, I gues

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #984 on: September 15, 2020, 08:16:26 pm »
I think he is Caesar.  Who better to inspire fanaticism in his followers, than a man with the same power as Catalina and a lifetime of practice using it?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #985 on: September 15, 2020, 08:55:11 pm »
Remember the growing flowers!

I find a time gap between when Catalina leaves Arabella and when she arrives at the hotel. It seems much longer in The Cool Aunt than in Emerald Blaze. In my mind I've added travel time to get to the pit before the battle begins to make up the perceived difference.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #986 on: September 16, 2020, 08:27:28 am »

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #987 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:00 pm »
Funny snippet.  LOL
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk