Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 302299 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »
I agree with most of what is said. I will miss seeing Saiman be his weird self, and seeing more character growth in these last two books than we've seen in the rest of the book for him.

My reread is taking longer, ir part because school has started, but in part because I don't want to be reminded about all that character death in the final battle. I was in part really amused by the epilogue, and in part really upset. I do think that Julie should have handled it better, but I also recognize that she is still a teenager, with her still developing brain, and an irregular childhood. I'm also upset that she apparently left without telling Derek anything. Yes, they're not dating, but they very obviously are close, and you don't just abandon your friends like that. Erra being resurrected and (to put it mildly) upset about it really made me laugh.

For future short stories or books, I would love to find out how Julie found out about Hugh (though I suspect that will be covered in the Hugh books) and I would love to see some of the adventures she has with Erra. I know both of the Andrews have mentioned being a little leary about how much Julie would change between the series they have in mind and the kate series, and how the readers would react to that. Some e-book short stories might fill the gap enough to not surprise/upset the readers as much.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #466 on: September 04, 2018, 09:55:56 am »
I'm guessing Julie learned about Hugh from Ascanio. Also, in some Q&A session somewhere, the ALs said that Julie has left a note for Derek. I'm not really down with that note either - one step short of breaking up by text - but I'm not going to argue with the ALs about it. Presumably it is part of Julie's development as a character and an adult.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #467 on: September 04, 2018, 02:53:46 pm »
I haven't read any of the Q&As. I will need to go looking.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2018, 05:22:33 am »
Can someone tell me what HEA means, please?  I'm assuming it's from texting.  However, I don't text.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #469 on: September 05, 2018, 07:58:04 am »
Happily Ever After

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #470 on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:10 pm »

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #471 on: September 06, 2018, 03:16:50 am »
And they've finally re-opened the Comments. Some folks must have really pi ..., er, peeved them. Looking a gift horse in the mouth is bad enough, but kicking the giver takes a special level of idiocy. (There, I did find something other than the obscenities that first occurred to me.)
“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
    “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.”
    ― Albert Einstein

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #472 on: September 06, 2018, 06:28:54 am »
#2 on the NYT list! Woohoo!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #473 on: September 07, 2018, 12:29:13 pm »
http://innkeeper.ilona-andrews.com/2018/09/07/chapter-14-part-2/

Huh, I didn't notice that the link to part 1 didn't get posted. Plus there is a snippet from Diamond Fire. We're really getting spoiled.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #474 on: September 07, 2018, 04:17:37 pm »
Spoiled indeed.

Of course, all the books coming out at practically the same time has been enriching as well.

Fancy talk to seal a deal. :)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #475 on: September 08, 2018, 05:38:18 am »
This is really a highlight of my weeks.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #476 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:53 pm »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #477 on: September 14, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »
Uh oh! Drunk vampires!

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
She's not allowed to draw her sword. I wonder what Illemina's position is on forks.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2018, 07:08:36 pm »
What was that line that... was it Hugh? said about Kate?  Something about her being a killer, and if you took her sword away, she'd kill you with her knife, and if you took her knife away, she'd kill you with her bare hands? 

Maude is more diplomatic in general than Kate... but no less likely to make use of whatever weapons she has.  And if the only weapon she has is wit, then she will slice you open with that as well.