Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 332299 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2018, 05:13:43 pm »
...what j@ck@$$es complained about no Innkeeper this week? 

Some days, I wish the interwebs could go "well this person is being an @$$hole" and stamp their actual, real-life forehead accordingly.  Bonus points if it whacks them really hard with the stamp. 

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2018, 05:16:30 pm »
Sounds about right! 9)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #452 on: August 31, 2018, 06:04:51 pm »
...what j@ck@$$es complained about no Innkeeper this week? 

Some days, I wish the interwebs could go "well this person is being an @$$hole" and stamp their actual, real-life forehead accordingly.  Bonus points if it whacks them really hard with the stamp.

The entitlement that exists online used to be a source of amazement to me. When I moderated an author's board, we used to fantasize about having the ability to electrify the keyboard of any troll that gave us trouble, so that it would shock the s#!t out of them. Either that or have a hand come out of the screen to slap them upside the head.

I didn't see the complaints. There were a few morons in the MT spoiler thread who were upset that things didn't happen the way they had imagined. I don't know why they bother reading books other people write.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #453 on: September 01, 2018, 12:43:27 am »
The "Comments are closed" lead statement left me worried. Then I read the post and realized that yeah, the self-entitled scum have done it again. And blasted at their assistant. Bleh on them. An electrified keyboard seems about right, 220 across the hands, please.
I wasn't keeping track, but they've given us several more than the usual schedule and now they're on the release tour. It shouldn't take much brainpower to realize the next episode will be delayed, does it?
AAAaaarrrrgggghhhh ...
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:44 am »
Because of all of those issues, I only vaguely hoped for another episode.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2018, 06:06:14 am »
Just finished Magic Triumphs.  As usual, it is great.  However, I really hope this isn't the last of Kate Daniels or her world.  Is it?  I'm not including the next 2 Hugh D'Ambray books.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #456 on: September 01, 2018, 06:08:30 am »
It's not. There will be Roman's story, probably Julie and Derek's, and who knows what else. It's such a rich world that they can go off in pretty much any direction, as evidenced by Hugh's story. Who would have thought they could pull that off?

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #457 on: September 02, 2018, 01:08:27 am »
I certainly didn't see any way for them to pull it off. And I like the way they've said they will let Kate, Curran and Conlan have their HEA, while continuing into new story arcs with other characters. So many ways they can go!
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #458 on: September 02, 2018, 10:05:47 am »
And I totally forgot Ghastek and Rowena! Desandra and Nick is the one I didn't see coming, and I really can't wait for that.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #459 on: September 02, 2018, 04:17:34 pm »
I was not a fan of the way that, at the very end (i.e., DO NOT touch this spoiler tag unless you have completely finished the book at least once!) Julie left without actually speaking to Kate. I understand that she needed to leave, but if she isn't holding Kate's slip up against her, Kate really deserves that conversation in person. Even if Julie is mad about it. Kate is protective of Julie but wouldn't prevent her from leaving in the end. It's just a crappy way to leave things and it makes me not like Julie. At least we can count on Derek tracking her down.

Also I hope that the people who are speculating that Saiman is not dead, are right. He's such an unusual and interesting character; I will miss him if he is really dead.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #460 on: September 03, 2018, 01:04:50 am »
I've missed the speculation about Saiman, but my own has been that his wish to be buried in Unicorn Lane was in the hopes/expectation that the wild magic there would bring him back.
Leo Buscaglia

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #461 on: September 03, 2018, 01:49:18 am »
Aarg I'm two books back. Must not touch spoiler bars.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #462 on: September 03, 2018, 04:48:28 am »
Wait!  Desandra and Nick?  I really missed that one.  I guess I'll have to go back and reread Triumphs again.  We are talking about Nick the Knight, aren't we?

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #463 on: September 03, 2018, 09:42:56 am »
That comes from a Q&A session at one of their appearances. Apparently Gordon confirmed it will be a thing, and Ilona gave him the Look Of Death. I had no clue, but someone evidently spotted something in one of the earlier books that made them suspicious, or else they were just speculating wildly.

I agree that Julie did not handle it well, but she is still a teenager who had a very rough start to her adolescence including the loss of her parents, and Kate, bless her heart, is not always the poster girl for effective communication skills herself. In particular, when they were over in Europe, Kate was kind of an idiot IMO. I cut both of them some slack, because Lord knows I need people to cut me some slack sometimes. And I am homing in on 60.

I'm not fond of Saiman and wouldn't miss him all that much, but he is half Aesir, and they're hard to kill permanently. Specifically, Kate has deduced that he probably descends from Loki. Most likely those who miss him won't miss him for long. From my perspective, he has progressed to doing the right thing of his own volition, though for the wrong reasons, so there is hope that he may evolve further. Before this I just considered him a garden variety sociopath, and I have had enough exposure to those that I don't find them particularly amusing. I've had even more exposure to teenagers, of course, and they generally do evolve eventually, much more frequently than sociopaths do. Hence my patience with Julie.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #464 on: September 03, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
I don't like Salman... but I find him valuable and interesting as a character.

I want to cut Julie some slack, but at the same time I'm really mad at her. There are times when it is acceptable to walk away from your parent and leave a letter. Trust me, I did it once. That in itself isn't the issue; it's when and how she leaves that I can't reconcile.

Also I hate the obvious cliffhanger at the end of a series. If you're giving Kate and Curran their HEA, then end it with that. Start the next series with Julie leaving. It leaves me feeling that Julie is being very disloyal to those who love her, and that doesn't belong at the end of a series.

TLDR: Loved the majority of the book but really hated the epilogue.