Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 333199 times)

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »
I'm still lookinf for the thread where Ilona herself mentioned it but here is a thread where a forum member answered a that question.

He is a Panthera leo atrox.

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/forum/index.php?topic=75.0

art, when we had the forum break down some of her answered questions got lost, but luckily most long-time members have the answers memorised *lol*

GW  WK  WH

Salarika

• Tinker
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:48 am »
Aha! Well, I wasn't too far off; spelaea was most probably the Eurasian form of the same beastie. Looks like the morphology of the skull is pretty much identical, from what I can see. Depending on when and how often the Bering land bridge was open, migration between the two continents would have been a cinch. Another mystery cleared up - thanks much, Art!
Beyond the farthest shore
Beyond the land
My people are dancing
On the wind.
-Ursula K. LeGuin

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2010, 09:23:17 am »
Oh, wow, the Curran POV.  :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE
Ummm... Saiman is dead now, isn't he? ah, I'll miss the *&$%#@$

OK, in reality, I think that as a character he is too useful to let Curran or Jim ACTUALLY kill him.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2010, 09:40:20 am »
Kyria - Kate got Curran to agree not to kill Saiman, remember?  Because she needed him.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »
This is semi related to Ilona but I had to link it. Jill Myles who writes funny paranormal UF did a fantastic mini fanfic based on Magic Bleeds. Its on the Odds Shots blog plus there is a giveaway!

http://www.theoddshots.com/2010/05/magic-and-my-heart-bleeds/

Beware dont drink or eat anything when reading- its hazardous to your health :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Vic

• Tinker
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »
*snerk* at Mary Sue Bleeds. I don't think I've ever read any Jill Myles. Must rectify that.  :-whistle

Yeah, thought same thing when I read this "fan-fic" myself - was very amused!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2010, 09:29:17 am »
I just finished the book. I loved it. :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE It's maybe the first time in my life I finish a book and feel the need to read it again right away. ;D It's so awesome I have no words for it.

Erra is one of my favorite villains ever. She and Kate drinking tea together and looking up the definition of "psychopath" had me in laughing fits.
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2010, 06:33:24 am »
I was rereading the last fight yesterday and came across something interesting that I hadn't noticed the first time round.

After Erra dies and when Curren picks Kate up, there is a vampire watching them... and Kate breaks Erra's blood ward with her own blood so Curran doesn't get hurt again. I wonder if Gastek is piloting that vamp? I have a feeling that he will definitely notice something like that...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

lilliana

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2010, 06:54:50 am »
Interesting. I didn't notice that Art, good call.

However, I get the feeling that Ghastek may not use the info against Kate because he respects and likes her.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:02:26 am by Lilliana »

lilliana

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2010, 07:24:24 am »
Oh, I totally agree with you! Ilona and Gordon have brilliantly written Ghastek as likeable so I forget that he works on the 'other' team. But when I see how he has respected Kate in a lot of ways, I wonder if he would turn on her. But, whatever direction Ilona and Gordon write his character will be interesting, of course.  :D

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2010, 07:51:02 am »
Did I miss what happened to Grendel?

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2010, 07:54:43 am »
In the spoiler chat that Ilona and Gordon had, they said that: Ghastek is VERY power-hungry. He's very good at hiding it, but I think Gordon said something along the lines of, "he has big plans." So I suspect Ghastek would do what's best for Ghastek, regardless of the fact that he does like Kate. If being nice to her goes against his best interests, I don't think he'd hesitate to sell her out.

So maybe he will use her to get Roland down and all his lackies. Then he'll be the most powerful of the people. But yeah, I agree with you. He is an opportunist.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:33 am »
mtomni, Andrea has Grendel at the end of Magic Bleeds.

Pfeff -- I wouldn't call Ghastek an opportunist. Just VERY pragmatic. And with a very long-term plan.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:00 am »
I know Kate always seems to think that Nataraja is the mastermind and that Gastek has no idea what he is up to, but I'm not convinced. I agree that Nataraja is the mastermind, but I'm convinced that Gastek has a very good idea of what he is up to and is just giving him enough rope to hang himself with... a void at the top in the People's palace would be very good for Gastek. I wish I knew more about Rowena so I can figure out where she is in all of this.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:41 am »
I agree about Ghastek being an opportunist. I think he is close to guessing if not has guessed Kate's background by now. He has his vamps watching her closely so he will use her in his power plays against Nataraja.
What I find interesting is Erra's comments about Roland's melancholy about losing Kate- I don't think Voron was honest about the reasons why her mother fled with him. I also think this would be a fantastic twist if it was true!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D