Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 352186 times)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2010, 03:01:08 am »
Having sex with me meant sharing some of my magic.
Magic Burns pg188.

Kate's going to pass some of her power on regardless. I presume her mate's going to get a power boost, and that's why she only has one night stands because the effects less noticeable.

Do you think Curran can handle it?

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2010, 03:35:12 am »
Pendle, I'm pretty sure Kate's not human. She can't catch Lyc-V or become a vampire. And I think it's pretty well established that Roland is DEFINITELY not human. ;D

She's not. Remember in Magic Mourns? That guy that brings her the apples no human can eat and she munches them for snack? I'd say that makes for her not being human.

Where did you read that scene? I cannot remember it.

It's at the end of the novella Magic Mourns, in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. :) The novella revolves mainly about Andrea and Raphael, however Kate does appear at the end. Without wanting to spoil anything to anyone, let's say that there are these apples and no human is supposed to be able to eat them and Kate munches on them without problems of any sort. :)

Magic Burns pg188.

So we can more or less safely assume the same is true for Roland. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
Magic Burns pg188.

Kate's going to pass some of her power on regardless. I presume her mate's going to get a power boost, and that's why she only has one night stands because the effects less noticeable.

Do you think Curran can handle it?

*scoffing* Of course he can handle it. He's the Beast Lord. Of course, that means he has to make up his mind to handle it and not get his panties in a bunch. :P

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2010, 08:53:51 am »
What I found the most disturbing about the Alpha Menz excerpts is the part where - and now I forget their names - (Lucas?) the main guy who may be the "hero" basically says as he's chewing on the heroine's arm, causing her great pain, that the only reason he didn't have sex with her is that she didn't want to be bound up, therefore trusting him, somehow. But he does fondle her without her consent. So basically, this guy is nigh unto torturing her, molesting her, and then would've raped her if she hadn't "trusted him." This same guy  also believes he now owns her and her daughter. After she wakes up, she starts to make breakfast for everyone. It's clear she's going to be the cook, the slave, and the food for these men. Forever and with great pain, apparently. I don't need my heroes to be shining pure white knights, but I would prefer them to less monstrous.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2010, 08:00:40 am »
What I really love about Alpha Menz is that it is not romanticized. It is openly brutal, it is violent and it is ugly.
I often find a lot of so-called anti-heroes not that anti at all. If it wasn't mentioned I surely wouldn't have known that the writer intends them to be cruel.
Then I am often disappointed in their development: It is like 'Oh, you are my soulmate, all my foul behavioral patterns are forgotten'.
Both of these things won't be possible with characters like those.
It is extreme, but I love it.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2010, 05:04:33 pm »
Eh, the blog didn't really say much other than she'll do what she feels right for the character. Which is as good and true answer, but it's not really revealing. I'll be honest, I don't quite get how people can find this hero attractive. I certainly know people have different preferences, but I'm just confused ... what was it about that excerpt that made the hero ... well, identifiable, maybe? He was interesting, and he was unique, but I don't get the fascination. I get that it's fun to see Illona writing a creative new world, but the characters and the plot sound just horrible. You know I wasn't so sure about The Edge at first b/c I couldn't see how she could make (I suck with names) the hero likable. But she completely turned me around and I love that book. However, Alpha Menz just had things that are line-crossing for me. I don't see how a hero can be redeemed when he molests and thinks about raping the heroine. Maybe I'm belaboring the point (and I apologize if I am), but I just don't get it.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2010, 06:42:31 pm »
For me personally I think I am more interested in the world and the characters as in what will happen with/to them next.  Based on the snippets so far I am not viewing the main male character in a romantic light but more of a can he is he capable of becoming "redeemed"?  What happened to make the family dynamics the way they are?  What is with this particular world?  Why did they pick her?  All those questions.  Do I think the possibility exists that he might change? Yes, but I have no idea where it will go.  

Again not every story is for everyone.  I am just glad that we can all discuss this without folks jumping on each other :).

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:09 am »

I DO trust them, till now they never disapointed me. Every book i have read from
Illona Andrews was absolutley satisfying and i am sure, the next will be no exeption.

Thats why i am not fretting. They stand in the same line for me as our host, Patricia Briggs :-LOVE.
All i do with both authors is: looking happily forward to the next book.

All three are good as that, no worry´s from me. 8)
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

SweetSensation

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:38 pm »
I'm looking forward to see what they do with ALPHA MENZ. Why does Lucus have to be redeemable? Is he even really an anti-hero ? I guess I just see a dark, violent character who I want to read more about. I think its going to be published by ACE, its not a romance but UF, unless I'm mistaken. So, I'm hoping under the umbrella of UF the story will be allowed to be what it is.
Mom always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be when I grew up, \\\'within reason.\\\' When I asked her what she meant by \\\'within reason,\\\' she said, \\\'You ask a lot of questions for a garbage man.\\\' <br />` Jack Handey `

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:35 pm »
I can see Lucas as being reseemable. He is definitely an animal but I'm not sure that he actually had a chance to be otherwise, so he does fascinate me. But the real reason I would buy Alpha Menz is the world building. The little bit shown in her snippets is fascinating.

Back to the Kate 4 snippet. I'm very glad that the spoiler was taken down before I knew it was there. I'm not so sure I would have been able to resist looking and I really did not want to know. I voted "no" too.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 01:51:53 pm »
okay, 1st of all  LOL on that snippet.... can't wait to get that book. bOuNcY

2nd on the other snippet with the tub.....  ??? I was assuming it was the protagonist as we get her POV in the 3 previous books... but, if the authors decided to make a turn and get another POV on this scene the speculation will be driving me mad.... so... I refuse to think who those are and will wait patiently for the book... as patiently as I can  >D

and last but not least... on Alphaz.... well... to me at least it's an interesting combination of... the worldbuilding, the characters, the story, the relationships, and the big mystery of Lucas.... Yep, he is one big mystery for me, because okay, he says he would do all of those things... he was craving to do all these things... but still he didn't. and the reasons he gives for Not doing anything is that she didn't give him those rights. That the deal didn't cover those rights, that she actually trusted him to stick to that deal. And yes, it is highly disturbing, and violent, and all of these things normal people consider sick... But, how is he any different than those Pirates Andrea reads about? To me at least the 'thinking' of something isn't the same thing as doing it, and how much different is he from Raphael in Nalini Singh's Angel's, the androgynes in Lili Saintcrow's Dante Valentine, or Nikolai in her Selene? Or any other dark character in any other book? Just because we can't have a POV from those dark characters doesn't mean they are not considering, thinking, craving something that would give any sane person pause.
Still, he understands that wanting something and doing it are to different things. I am curious as to what will happen with her daughter and maybe... the Stockholm's Syndrome?

Yes, I do have things I cannot read about, child abuse for example rises my hackles...

But those Alphaz intrigue me in a good way, and I have faith in the author's abilities to tell me a story that will continue to intrigue me.... 9) guess that's just me... :)

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2010, 09:45:56 am »
I'm kinda disappointed that the story isn't a continuation of Rose and Declan.  I also was curious to see the mischief Georgie and Jack could get into.

Janilee

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2010, 01:06:39 pm »
Oh, how could I forget Dolittle? And Aunt Bea, too, so she can make us tea and bring us sex toys.  :-whistle

You need someone to bring you those?

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:23 am »
you might know about it already, but..... kate daniels now has a wiki. it's still under construction and there'll be a lot of changes, but if you want to check it out:

http://kate.ilona-andrews.com/wiki/pmwiki.php

GW  WK  WH

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2010, 04:29:34 pm »
I found the British cover for Magic Bites. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0575093935/sr=8-7/qid=1267921539/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books&qid=1267921539&sr=8-7

I really don't like it. She looks like the girl playing Lucy in the Narnia films.