Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 340135 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 02:24:24 pm »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
I've been re-reading the Kate Daniels series, I've picked up some snippets that I'd forgotton or glossed over.

1. Roland is still missing an eye.
- He must have some regenerative abilities, he's 4000 years old! But obviously not enough to grow back body parts. Personally, if I was Kate I'd go for the other eye. If you can't kill at least maim. He'll be blind...a bonus.  ;D

2. Kate knows Rolands real name.
- But does she? He might have lied to Voron. A leader wouldn't share everything. But is it important? I'd like to image if you know an old, powerful beings name (that no-one else does), you get power over said creature. Cool, if it were true.  8)

3. Currans family is dead.
- It puts him on an equal personal level with Kate. :P
- Though I remember Ilona said on her blog or forum "who said Currans parents were dead?" ...umm you did! And it was mentioned in the recent POV.

4. How the hell did Voron come to know the witch Oracle?

5. Kate is immune to both the immortus (vampire) pathogen and Lyc-V.

(I'll shut up now, am rambling!!)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »
I read the first two Kate Daniels books over again last week to remind myself what's going on :) So here are some questions.
Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of creature Roland is? In the second book, Kate tells someone (Red?) that Roland was alive when The Morrigan was just being dreamed up. And she says he's several thousand years old, too. What is he and how did he survive that long? And what did he do when the tech was in full swing for so long?

What is the timeline for the world in these books? How long as the magic been back in the world?

What made Curran decide to pursue Kate?

What other kind of magic can Kate do? And would she age normally? And do shapeshifters age normally?

Just the ones I could think of offhand.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:46 pm »
Pendle, I'm pretty sure Kate's not human. She can't catch Lyc-V or become a vampire. And I think it's pretty well established that Roland is DEFINITELY not human. ;D

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:59 pm »
Pendle, I'm pretty sure Kate's not human. She can't catch Lyc-V or become a vampire. And I think it's pretty well established that Roland is DEFINITELY not human. ;D

She's not. Remember in Magic Mourns? That guy that brings her the apples no human can eat and she munches them for snack? I'd say that makes for her not being human.

As for Roland: he's the head, the founder member, the creator of the People. He's got his hands in death magic and he could very well be a demi-god or something that deals with necromancy and the likes. My mythology sucks so I have no idea who he might be or resemble. :P How did he survive during tech? The same way that ancient vampire from book #1 did (one of the ones his ex-wife wielded), the one with the odd-shaped head, remember? I have no idea how it managed, but if something so insignificant as a vampire survived, then Roland could too. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 02:10:29 pm »
@ Pendle- hey no harm in trying :P LOL
And you never know! ;D

I agree Maz but I think the growing influence of magic in the world adds to Roland's influence and magic. i think age is def a factor on how powerful a person is in the series.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 02:14:41 pm »
That's for sure, twin! :)

Could it be that I remember reading somewhere Ilona saying that shapeshifters age way more slowly than the average human? I could be utterly wrong, but I have the feeling I read something like this, I just can't remember where... :-[

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »
I think it was on the forum somewhere but there was something about them aging slowly. Makes you wonder if older the shape the more if affects aging. Ohhh wonder if i should ask ilona this- I am not sure if this is gonna get stamped though :D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 02:44:28 pm »
It could be related to shape, but I think it more likely it could be related to their power: the more powerful the shapeshifter, the slower s/he ages. :) And Curran can eat those apples too... ;D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 08:20:00 am »
There might have been magic 4000 years ago.  Probably was.  Remember that whole thing about the pendulum swinging the world from magic-based to science-based, and back again?

Makes sense. How advanced would tech have been 4000 years ago?

Anyhow about Gods. I thought they couldn't set foot on earth unless during a powerful magic flare. I've got this image in my mind with a bunch of deities having a ruckus on Olympus, but they can't get off the mountain to meddle in the lives of us lowly mortals. I'd imagine it's like watching a soap opera.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 08:36:59 am »

She's not. Remember in Magic Mourns? That guy that brings her the apples no human can eat and she munches them for snack? I'd say that makes for her not being human.

Where did you read that scene? I cannot remember it.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 09:12:26 am »
I thought about mentioning these questions at her forum, but I thought I'd just get us all talking here :) And now I definitely don't want to get "stamped!"

I can't remember Magic Mourns ... was that a short story/novella? I don't see how Roland can be human, but maybe just not completely human. And maybe this is a big assumption, but wasn't Kate's mother human? So even if Roland was nonhuman, Kate would be at least partially human. But then in the second book (I really need to remember names better), there's the issue of women taking on the powers of their lovers if they take their seed. So would Kate's mother have been changed by that - more than temporarily? (This might start another issue of what would happen to Kate if she and Curran had unprotected sex.)

In one of the books I read - maybe it was the second one - Kate says that the magic left the world around the Stone Age. That would make Roland around that old if he was around when magic was still in the world - which I think sounds right. Wow, that would make him *really* old. Again in the second book (geez), Kate tries to save Bran by pouring magic into him and she hears/thinks "this is how undeath is created." So 1) Kate could make vampires or other forms of undead, and 2) is this how Roland started the People? But vampires aren't supposed to be over 200 years old (somewhere in the series, probably that pesky second book) because Kate was surprised to be attacked by a vampire ~ 300 years old. So what was Roland doing in the ages before then?

And as I started the third book (Burns?) last night, I smiled to see a connection - we see Kate trying to talk a banshee down from a telephone pole because the woman's family called on her. But I'd just read in the first book where Kate related a very similar story to an innkeeper/barkeeper (?) she knew who wanted to know if his nephew should to into the Order. She tells the story of a family who called on the Order to contain a harpy (I think). But it turns out that the harpy was the man's aunt and he didn't know it - and the harpy was atop some kind of pole or structure. But the Order killed her even though the man begged them not to. I wonder if that was a deliberate similarity or an accidental one.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:14 am »
Cerulean, I always assumed that the banshee/harpy stories similarity was purposeful.

"Magic Mourns" is a short story in Must Love Hellhounds, I think. It's mostly Andrea and Raphael.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »
If Kate passes on some of her power to whomever she sleeps with (without the use of the mirror lock spell), the same should be said for Roland. I'd presume that's why Olathe was that powerful, but does the power transfer effects wear off?

It only works from the male to the female, not the reverse. So Kate couldn't pass anything along to a man using the mirror lock spell (as you mention); did you have other suggestions? They said that there was no other way for it to go from female to male. I think the effects do wear off, but it might take a long time. Olathe was still powerful and I got the impression that she'd been dumped by Roland a while back.