Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 336385 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:43 pm »
Yay!!! Glad you managed to download it okay.

By the way Ilona has posted another short story on the blog, this is their first sold story but recently the rights were reverted ;D
http://ilona-andrews.com/2009/06/happy-saturday/
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 04:35:27 pm »
Ilona has a new forum!
She suffered a server outage and lost the old one :(

But come over and join there will be an underpants thread to start things off :D
http://www.ilona-andrews.com/forum/index.php
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »
And today's blog post has a glimpse of a short story (?) about Kate as a youngster growing up with Greg. Very interesting!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

thebeadedchihuahua

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 05:25:55 pm »
I started reading Magic Bites and I found it hard to understand and get into at first. I'm on Chapter 7 now and its starting to make sense. Are the other 2 books of this series hard to understand like this one? Do they get better with each book like the Mercy novels?

I haven't bought the other 2 books yet because I don't want to get disappointed.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:20 pm »
The first book is the only one I've heard any complaints on. The series definatly gets better as it progresses, if only because you understand the world.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:45 pm »
Yeah, I think in the first one, she has to take so much time explaining the world and establishing the relationships, that it takes a bit longer for the story to really get started. For the next two books, she doesn't have to take that amount of time up front.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

lilliana

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 04:37:09 am »
I started reading Magic Bites and I found it hard to understand and get into at first. I'm on Chapter 7 now and its starting to make sense. Are the other 2 books of this series hard to understand like this one? Do they get better with each book like the Mercy novels?

I haven't bought the other 2 books yet because I don't want to get disappointed.

You wont be disappointed. I thought the same thing when I began Magic Bites. I pushed through the first half of the book wondering if I made a mistake buying all 3 books at once. Then once I got to the second half of the book, I couldnt put it down. The next 2 books are fantastic. Keep going!

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 06:48:08 am »
I agree... It's better to just make it through the first part of book 1. After reading all 3 books, I went back and read the first again and liked it a lot more. The series is really fantastic and I'm so excited for the next one.

Read On the Edge yesterday. Another great book!  :D

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:35 am »

Love love loved how Declan just agreed to Rose's challenges to marry her when that wasn't the reason he went there at all. I can just imagine a snippet from his POV about this crazy lady coming out of the house telling him she won't sleep with him, etc.

lilliana

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:29 am »

Love love loved how Declan just agreed to Rose's challenges to marry her when that wasn't the reason he went there at all. I can just imagine a snippet from his POV about this crazy lady coming out of the house telling him she won't sleep with him, etc.

Oh yes, that is a great scene! Especially when we found out why he went to Rose's house in the first place. He had been chased off by half the town by that point.  LOL  Another favorite moment is when Declan helped Georgie realize that he couldnt help keep everything he loved alive after they died. I really love Georgie and Jack. 

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:45 pm »
Me too! It's heartbreaking to see her like that!

About On the Edge, I love Declan's family! They totally cracked me up! And the two boys were just adorable.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

lilliana

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 04:31:41 am »
Me too! It's heartbreaking to see her like that!

About On the Edge, I love Declan's family! They totally cracked me up! And the two boys were just adorable.

Kate needs to kick Curran's arse! (and then ravish him!  LOL )

I love Declan's family too! One of my favoroite lines in the books is from his grandfather (I think)
"Did you see that?" He just rescued her from us. The wedding is on!"  LOL
(I dont have my book, but I believe that is the correct quote.)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:08 am »
I love the hero and the story behind the baddies.

I loved hearing about the de-evolution of the group that created the monster-maker. Very interesting. I'd love to hear even more. And I found a few other things interesting: 1) did it seem like there was a hint of a foreshadowing of an attempt by the Weird to sabotage or invade the Broken? I'm just thinking of Ellie's reaction to hearing about William & Declan's training on how to do this. But then again, what purpose would it serve? If they stay too long in the Broken, they lose their magic. Well, it sparked a thought.

And I'm really wondering why Declan joined the Red Guard, why he didn't want to be an Earl in the first place. He seems like he loves his family and vice versa. Maybe they've been too overbearing? They pressured him too much initially? It sounds like a very interesting backstory.

And I couldn't quite understand the strength of William's issues with Declan having a loving family. I understand his being upset, etc., but he really seemed to hate him and want to kill him, so is there more to this story? Since the next story will be William's, hopefully we'll get to hear more.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:35 am »
Cerulean, I didn't think that William hated Declan for HAVING a family. I think he was furious with Declan for having that loving family and walking away from them to join the Red Guard. To William, who values having a family so much he was trying to court Rose just so he could have one, it must have seemed that Declan had everything and just threw it away.

And as to why Declan would walk away, I think he put it pretty plainly: he just didn't want the responsibility. He wanted to be beholden only to himself. If you've been raised since childhood with the knowledge that a world of responsibility rests on your shoulders, I imagine that a footloose kind of life might be tempting.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about William, though.  :D

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!