Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 438616 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #945 on: August 27, 2020, 05:19:32 pm »
(also, new snippet of Ryder posted on their blog.  SO MUCH WIN THIS WEEK from Ilona Andrews!  The amount of money I would pay for just a bunch of random scenes of Hugh dealing with parenthood is just honestly a little scary.  Like, more than I want to know
>>back to Ryder only spoiler>>the world needs to really get its $h!t together because I need the next Hugh book.

I agree with both the above. Also, still waiting for emerald blaze to get here.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #946 on: August 27, 2020, 05:37:34 pm »
(also, new snippet of Ryder posted on their blog.  SO MUCH WIN THIS WEEK from Ilona Andrews!  The amount of money I would pay for just a bunch of random scenes of Hugh dealing with parenthood is just honestly a little scary.  Like, more than I want to know
>>back to Ryder only spoiler>>the world needs to really get its $h!t together because I need the next Hugh book.

I agree with both the above. Also, still waiting for emerald blaze to get here.

eReaders.  Because I have patience for some things, but the arrival of books is not one of them. 

Also because I travel and read both constantly and quickly, and my nook app means that I have hundreds of books with me at all times without having to carry even one book's worth of extra weight. 

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #947 on: August 27, 2020, 05:45:17 pm »
Also, less COVID exposure is a plus.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #948 on: August 27, 2020, 05:56:55 pm »
Sure, but since I first got an eReader in 2009 or 2010 or so, COVID did not factor into my decision to get an eReader.  The weight of dead-tree books did. 

I do still have five and a half large bookcases filled with dead-tree books, and a library of periodicals in my stairwell.  I just don't have to carry them on airplanes. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #949 on: August 27, 2020, 07:58:24 pm »
I love my kindle, but there was the promised short story of you ordered a dead tree version.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #950 on: August 27, 2020, 08:52:43 pm »
eh, I bought both.  There are a couple of authors that I still habitually wind up with both dead-tree and e-book versions.  Ilona Andrews are one of them, though I haven't bought most of the Innkeeper series in dead tree form. 

Also (as long as they keep the same voice actor/narrator guy) I will buy an audiobook version of the rest of Hugh's books.  The fact that he does Andrea, Raphael, and Ascanio (all of whom were born and raised in the USA) with Italian-ish accents (in fact most, though not all, of the American characters have some version of a European accent.  Hugh's men come from all over, and have presumably traveled extensively to boot, but Elara's people are likewise Southerners), is annoying.  But otherwise, I really like the narration, which is saying a lot.  I'm EXTREMELY picky with audiobooks. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #951 on: August 27, 2020, 09:08:23 pm »
Limited room here, so I get one or the other.

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #952 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:50 am »
At this point I typically get whichever is cheapest. I prefer dead-tree but don't want to pay HB prices. If it's available in PB, that's how I normally get it, but nothing is normal right now.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #953 on: August 28, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
I've come to prefer the portability of ebooks for reading books (fiction, but also biography and topical narratives).  For reference books, I despise ebook format and will not buy it.  But I also like the freedom of organization of dead-tree books, so my very favorite 2-3 authors still get purchased in both formats.  Basically if I'd buy it in hardcover, I'm probably going to get it in dead-tree and ebook both... though only in the Mercyverse to I buy the hardcover.  IA (when they have one released in hardcover, which is not always) I will wait for the paperback.  Jim Butcher may be getting demoted to ebook only, I haven't decided yet.  that's what he gets for leaving such a gap between novels. 

Anyway, I had a thought today that (Ryder snippet spoiler) the kid being yelled at by Hugh might be Conlan.  Thus far, nothing about Hugh or Elara has left me anticipating that their child would have superhuman strength.  Alternatively, maybe Bale's kid, that would be fun too.

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #954 on: August 29, 2020, 06:16:51 am »
I just don't think Curran would get to the point where he would trust Conlan to Hugh yet. Not sure about Kate either. The cow reference reminded me of the cow sacrifice when Elara needed to find Hugh. Elara hosts some kind of elder being or deity, so that's kind of a wild card. We don't really know how that plays out. Also, we haven't learned whether Hugh is related by blood as well as adoption to Kate, and I think that's a real possibility. So that's another wild card, because I don't think all of Conlan's strength and control comes from Curran. Kate's family magic could act as a force multiplier. We could sit here and argue how genetics work but yo, magic?

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #955 on: August 29, 2020, 07:30:31 am »
Also, we haven't learned whether Hugh is related by blood as well as adoption to Kate, and I think that's a real possibility.
+1 to this as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of Conlan visiting without necessarily getting permission.  I know he would only be 9 at the time of this story, but he seems like a resourceful kind of 9-year-old and we know he gets a lot of freedom to run around Atlanta without direct/parental supervision.  Yes, it's a stretch - I really do think that the kid Hugh is yelling at must be his own! - but an interesting alternate theory.

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #956 on: August 29, 2020, 10:14:43 am »
I'm not ruling it out, mind you; just think it's unlikely.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #957 on: August 29, 2020, 09:07:58 pm »
Because it is usually faster, I directed my copy of Emerald Blaze to be sent to the hotel. The tracker has not moved for three days, so I am not certain where the package is. Since it is not here at the hotel tonight and I am off the next two days, I won't be reading the story until Tuesday night at best.

Kyria

• writers
  • Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #958 on: August 29, 2020, 10:05:24 pm »
I got my dead tree copy today, Janilee, so hopefully yours will arrive soon!

pondhawk

• Lobo Loco
« Reply #959 on: August 30, 2020, 04:46:00 am »
How frustrating! Maybe reread Sapphire Flames to refresh your memory? Or Diamond Fire - I don't want to give any spoilers, but it is pertinent to the story.