Author Topic: Female werewolves, women's rights, and female pack?  (Read 123938 times)

Iris101

• Mechanic
Re: Werewolf Revolution
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 12:28:22 pm »
ya, me too.  Kinda like hes planning something, but doesnt want to attract a lot of attention to whatever it is or that he's the one doing it

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 01:27:36 pm »
Woot! for Bran.... backstage work is one of the most important things... without it the show just doesn't go on. ;)
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:24 pm »
Bran the stage hand.
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 07:45:44 pm »
I think that Bran might support female weres gaining power and equality but, as has been mentioned, he'd do it quietly, behind the scenes. I see him quietly, subtly manipulating things to his satisfaction.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

jenglows

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 11:38:26 am »
I'm not sure i agree.  I Love bran ( he's one of my favorite characters)  but I'm not so sure he'd be in suport of female Alphas or an all-girl pack.  I think he deals with women mostly fairly(althoug we don't really know), but that he is still a bit behind the times. 

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
I agree with you Glow

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 12:20:38 pm »
I agree he'd likely be slow to support a female Alpha, certainly to support an all-girl pack (that image conjures up songs from teh 50's & 60's)  but I can def see him supporting bringing females, and the male attitude toward females, into the current century.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

jenglows

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 03:47:36 pm »
Well, for me the idea of denying women access to power is tied to bringing the 'thinking' into this century ;).  Are we just talking about getting the alphas to information share with the pack females?   Or actually giving females status in the pack  - like rank not based on a relationship to a man ?  ???

If you give them rank you have to allow the option of being in control or you will end up with a situation like Warren is currently holding :(.  I would think that giving women an option of not being under male authority and allowing them to seek pack rank with out mating would encourage/allow a group of women to break from the traditional male-centered pack to form their own. ;D At least until the rest of the community caught up with them socially  :P . They can't even be lone wolves now, everything is dominated by men.  :o

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »
I'm with Glow on this one, if a female can't go lone wolf, or be an alpha, then she's not being treated as an equal.  Hell, right now they're still being treated like property that has to put out on command, else be raped and nobody seems to think it wrong.  (and that mind set isn't even that old, I've heard grown women say that they tried going to police because their husbands raped them, and were told "no crime has been committed.") 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:31 pm »
I think part of the problem that we have when we begin talking about feminism and the place of women, is that there are many steps between mysoginy and feminism.  In reality, the packs are less mysoginist and more anti-feminine, though that attitude certainly allows for fairly great abuses of female weres.  Bran would certainly fall short of being a feminist, but he does present a pro-feminine attitude, that could allow him to try to change the accepted treatment of women.
Besides, we tend to forget that the women's fight for equality is well over 200 years old, and most of what the earliest feminists wrote would actually be considered fairly offensive (and even anti-feminine) today.
So, even if Bran is unwilling to consider full female equality, he could be an important step on the way.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:13 pm »
I don't think they could truely be equal, after all Warren obays Mercy not because she is more dominate, but because he thinks of her as his alpha's mate. That wasn't his human part, that was his wolf.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 10:03:24 am »
I woudln't call Bran a feminist but he's definitey a realist. I think he'd want baby steps to changing womens roles and yes, changing the basis of a womans ranking and allowing her basic rights are the first step.

Whether it's Bran or someone else, the wolves will eventually be forced to make changes. Remember, these wolves are bitten not born, they start out as human. Sooner or later teh bitten women will revolt, whether quietly or loudly. We've seen some strong female wolves; how long will they settle for being the power behind the throne?

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:52:23 am »
I think the feminist ideas in packs is one step more complex than feminist ideas in normal, real life.  Points to consider and to explore in future books are:
Like in real life, most men are stronger and more skilled in physical violence and domination. 

There are only so many female weres and it's not surprising that old male dominant patterns are still strong.

I'm sure Bran and his boys aren't the only centenarian wolves.   But they are rare and probably they are alphas in their pack.

But most wovles only last about 10 years after Change, so they should have modern veiws of feminisim and the women in their lives.  I would hope a modern were man would prefer a modern woman and relationship with them.  I sure wouldn't want a relationship where it's ok to treat a person as less than they are.

Then there is all the potentially juicy material in Aspen Creek.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 11:26:59 am »
I don't think an a girl pack would be supported by Bran. I do think that he would support a female alpha, given that she earned that position as any male did. Baby steps would be be neccesary in this situation. It wouldn't be able to happen all at once. Starting with the end of the whole females-can't-be-lone-wolves would be a good place to start.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 06:45:35 am »
That would be the best place to start for making it work, I think.   But I could see a really cautionary legend about an all female pack.    Talk about slapping them in the face with too much change!  Or worse yet, a lesbian were!