Author Topic: Female werewolves, women's rights, and female pack?  (Read 121226 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Female werewolves, women's rights, and female pack?
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:46:32 pm »
Or Evolution is probably a better word for it.

I'd like to think that no matter what happens with Mercy she triggers some change in the were society. I think that would be fascinating to read about as she subtly manipulates those around her into doing exactly what she wants them to do.

Will we ever in Werewolf society see a female Alpha? Honey is a good example of what could be, she's a fighter, she's better than most of the men. It's even been said in the books that if she were a man she'd be an Alpha because of her fighting skills.

I'd like to think that Kara Beckwith will be an advocate for change in the were society as well. Who knows...maybe she has the potential to be the first.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Re: Werewolf Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:13:10 pm »
Thank you for starting this thread.... ever since I started reading I've been waiting for some shift that will at least put females on equal footing more often. I wonder what will happen to cause that, if it happens at all.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:30:18 pm »
I've read a couple of times where Mercy says...they're lucky she's not in a pack...cause she'd drag them into the 21st century.

I'd like to think that there's one or two more female lone wolves out there just doing what they do, living a silent revolution.  :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:22:09 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

jenglows

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:29:14 pm »
I don't see why the females aren't more equal with the men in Were society.  They can't bear children, so they don't have that pregnancy/mom-of-newborn vunerability time at all. I can understand the desire for the big male protector when your raising small children but there is really no reason at all for the females not to be equal if they don't have those responsibilities.

Go forth Were-revolution!!!

Have any of you read The Left hand of Darkness??

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:29:23 pm »
It actually kind of doesn't make sense.   When Warren was hurt, Mercy thought it should have been instinct to obey Darryl.   Since he didn't, she and Darryl concluded that he wasn't really less dominant than Darryl and had been faking it.   Also, in Alpha and Omega, Charles said if Anna was really a submissive wolf she would not have had to be beaten into acting submissive.  Therefore, shouldn't less dominant wolves  instinctually obey more dominant wolves even if they are female?    What would have happened if Honey had beaten up that wolf that wouldn't let her, Kyle and Mercy into the house?    Maybe she couldn't because he would go challenge her husband and possibly hurt/kill him. But that implies politics instead of instinct. 

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:11:12 am »
I'm betting its a good deal more of the human side rather than the wolf side that dictates the females don't get as much power.  Glass ceiling anyone? ;P
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:57:37 am »
Actually, what makes this argument interesting is the scene in BB where Honey transforms to show John Beckwith her wolf.  She acknowledges Mercy as dominant in wolf-form, which she never does in human-form.  Mercy is taken aback by it enough to comment that she had always thought that the taking-rank-from-mate was something that the humans tacked onto the wolves, but the scene implies the other way around.  Still, since Mercy isn't a were, and has no instinctive need to fit into the pack, she could cause alot of havoc if she pressed the issue.  Could be lots of fun!  ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:16:44 pm »
I really want to see Mercy shake things up. I know a lot of it is instinct but I think a lot might be learned behaviour as well. I cannot wait to see what she does. :)

jenglows -- I've never read "The Left Hand of Darkness" but I did go and have a look at it. Looks pretty intense with some interesting points on gender politics. Looks pretty relevant to the Werewolf gender issues as well.
Hurog Means Dragon.

jenglows

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 04:48:05 pm »
jenglows -- I've never read "The Left Hand of Darkness" but I did go and have a look at it. Looks pretty intense with some interesting points on gender politics. Looks pretty relevant to the Werewolf gender issues as well.
you need to read it ;)  it's classic feminist canon in my opinion ! As well as being just a great fantasy read to boot.  Then we can start the good discussions on how society and gender issues dictate everything we experience from political institutions to our role as mothers.  SF is such a great arena for exploring how our world works,  I just Love it.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 04:51:51 pm »
I took a course in college called "women in religion", one of the most challenging classes since the prof actually made us WORK in that class, but also one of the most interesting.  She's a living example of how everything is treated from a man's point of view...She and another prof. were having the same exact symptoms, shortness of breath, fatigue, and so forth.  The other prof. wound up yanked into an emergency room an had heart surgery, while she was told "Oh, you're just having stress."  She went to a woman doctor and found out that her heart was on the verge of collapse and had open heart surgery as soon as they could put her in there.  The difference?  The other prof. was a man, and apparently the same symptoms, body build, medical history means "heart failure" in a man, but "stress" if you're a woman. :P 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenglows

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 05:00:18 pm »
I've heard the same sort of things happen with Strokes.  Heart disease and strokes are big killers for women because they tend not to get early treatment like men.  I've always prefered women doctors, I never understood why some of my friends would only see Male OB's - crazyness! 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:16:34 pm »
Hoping for dates with the docs maybe? *grins*

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:24:53 pm »
:: snorts :: That's how one of my docs I used to go to got banned from practicing.  Started dating a client. 

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »
Yeah, generally dating a patient is considered a no-no, and it will get your butt kicked right out of the medical field.

I wonder what Bran thinks about Were-ess rights. Would he openly support them, openly oppose, or not take a public stance and just do back stage work for whatever side he's on?
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Pink Elephants

• Tool Wrangler
  • The Pink Elephant Mafia Rules the World
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:30:15 am »
Bran seems like a back stage kinda guy to me.
And now to the feast of Capulet, where Romeo is doomed to meet his Juliet. And where, in a scene of timeless romance, he tries to get into Juliet's pants.