Author Topic: off the wall Dragon Bones question...  (Read 4405 times)

toastedfroglegs

• Grease Monkey
  • I dont negotiate with my food
off the wall Dragon Bones question...
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:56:01 am »
ive always wondered what oreg's reaction would be if he found a woman who wanted to become romantically involved with him.
after all, he's really old, and slightly insane.
what kind of reaction do you think he would have if he met a girl who just wouldnt give up?

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: off the wall Dragon Bones question...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:56:57 pm »
Wow.  This is a really interesting thread.  As with the Mercy questions, I'll give you my opinion, but nothing that doesn't make it into published manuscript is set in concrete -- right?  In other words, when I get a chance to play with the next Hurog book, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Okay, I haven't thought about scrying mirrors, but I think you are right when you say that Oreg would miss being a part of Hurog.  He's not a slave of it anymore, but he -- like the dragon in the dungeon and a few others -- is still tied to the land.  I'm not sure how that really affects him, and he's not telling me yet.

As far as romance is concerned . . . poor Oreg.  Remember mostly we see him through Ward's eyes -- and he is to Ward something quite different than he is to the rest of the world.  Ward sees him whole, a friend, a brother -- a teacher.  And most of all, as one of those who are His to protect.   The reality is a little more scarey.  Just think of it.  A good person with the soul of a dragon, tortured (and even the good years were horrible, because he knew they wouldn't last) in every way possible for almost a thousand years.  A mage with an incredible wealth of knowledge.  Suddenly set free -- bound only by his feelings for Ward and his sister (Tosten, Oreg is not so connected with).   

Let me just say that I don't see an easy romance in Oreg's future.

I think that the dragons were not so much gone as hidden (there never were a huge number of them).  And in Hurog, they might just chose to reveal themselves.  Or not.  They haven't told me yet <grin>.

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: off the wall Dragon Bones question...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »
Also.  I don't know how much longer Oreg will live -- and neither does he.  His human form is maturing, though.