Author Topic: Lois McMaster Bujold  (Read 60529 times)

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
Re: Lois McMaster Bujold
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2009, 10:08:50 am »
Nah, now he's coming down with a full-fledged cold on top of the sore back.  Coupled with watching the active 4-year-old boy, that's a heavy burden.  Yes, he caught the cold from the 4-year-old, in case you were wondering.
Find what you love and do it!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2009, 11:20:42 am »
Yes, he caught the cold from the 4-year-old, in case you were wondering.

Quelle surprise!

Not.

Oh, I just remembered what I meant to add to the naughty corner, about passing illness around. <snicker>
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »
The SB have convinced a young man to try Bujold's books as an entry into romance.  He found the first Sharing Knife book and has posted his thoughts about it through Chapter 3.  If you have already read it you will find it amusing I think.  And if you haven't read it good intro...

http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/more-men-reading-romance-scrinnameless-discovers-bujold/

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:27 am »
The SB have convinced a young man to try Bujold's books as an entry into romance.  He found the first Sharing Knife book and has posted his thoughts about it through Chapter 3.  If you have already read it you will find it amusing I think.  And if you haven't read it good intro...

http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/more-men-reading-romance-scrinnameless-discovers-bujold/

Ha- I just saw this yesterday! Very interesting :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

dixiehellcat

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »

LOL! Exactly what I was looking for. I've never read any Bujold but found all 4 Sharing Knife books at the used bookstore last weekend & invested some swap credits in them. Flipping thru vol 1, it reminded me a bit of Orson Scott Card's Alvin books, which I really liked. So here goes on another new author! (new to me anyhow. hehe)
Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2010, 07:54:28 pm »
This is an interesting change up for her; a sort of cross between historical, fantasy, and SF.  She's done fantasy with a (or an) historical basis before, "The Spirit Ring" (not a favorite of mine) and the "Chalion" or "Five Gods" series that currently consists of of the three books, "Curse of Chalion", "Paladin of Souls", and "The Hallowed Hunt".  And she's done Science Fiction; all the "Vorkoverse" books.  Chronologically in that world, it starts with "Falling Free".

It's all very, very, very character driven, although  at least two of them meet a classic definition of SF by having a technological element that is key to the story, so it couldn't exist without that element.

And I'll add, after getting to hear her read from the fourth volume (or was it the third?) a while back, I can tell you that while it's dryly amusing on the page, when she reads out loud, it's 8 times as funny.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »
:-Love all her books that I have read so far. I happened to find Shards of Honor and Barrayar when I was on holiday in New York many years ago and have been hooked ever since.
Have yet to read the Spirit Ring though although I have read the Five Gods series.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »
I don't know quite why that one doesn't suit me, but it just didn't.  It's very much a stand alone at this point, not linked to any of her other work, but there is some buzz I saw somewhere that she might get someone to re-publish it if she promises a sequel, or at least a second book in the same world.

The Five Gods - each book supposedly is about one of the five; but the Bastard, bless him, does tend to creep into all of them; I think it's like they sometimes say in the stories; you have to have the thumb to play off the other fingers.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »
It is a long time since I read them, but I tend to agree with you on that.

*ponders a bout of rereading*

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2010, 01:38:58 pm »
I have a deep admiration for writers who can create such a variety of worlds that are so deep, as LMB does.  But what I like best of all are her very engagimg characters.  And her understanding of both the perils and joys of accumulating years.  And her ability to capture the give and take of caring partners, whether spouses, siblings, friends.  While she uses fiction as her medium, her ability to understand protray people truthfully  is wonderful.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2010, 10:56:58 am »
Well, the buzz at Baen's Bar over this book is . . . scaryterrific.  Lots of crying at the end mentioned, and some before that.  Hints that this may be the last Miles adventure, although not the last one in the Vorkoverse.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2010, 09:18:09 am »
Any hints she might write more in the Five Gods series? After all, there are five gods and three books.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:15 am »
She's said she wants to do so, it's just that nothing has come together in her mind to say "ah-hah!  here's "the Mother's book!"" or whatever.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »
And some interesting stuff from Sherwood Smith's blog about "Cryoburn" and the as yet unnamed book about "Ivan, you idiot!":  http://blog.bookviewcafe.com/2010/10/31/heroes-and-miles/