Author Topic: Lois McMaster Bujold  (Read 56368 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Lois McMaster Bujold
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 04:41:36 pm »
Well, that's sure possible; I like Isaac Asimov's mysteries, but the rest of his SF & F just doesn't do anything for me, and I have to pick & choose the other things he did.   Some of his short science essays I can deal with, because there's not time for him to get too elaborate, or scientifically detailed, beyond my understanding, but I haven't in 30 years of sporadic attempts been able to read the Foundation books.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 08:00:38 pm »
Out of all of the ones that I've read, The Sharing Knife books remain my favorites. :) Soon, though, I will know of this Miles that everyone refers to. I've picked up two new books. One that features his mother in two stories and one called Miles in Love that has three Miles books in it. A lot of books for the price of just two of them...how could I resist. ;)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 08:57:21 pm »
How, indeed?  Do read "Cordelia's Honor" first.  You can (and I did, if I recall) plunge in to Miles' stories cold, but you feel like you're getting so much more out of them with the references to events in the first two books, that show who his parents are, and how he came to be in the position he's in. 
And keep your forward momentum, eh?

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 12:06:59 am »
Yes, read Cordelia's Honor first!  They are all awesome books, but reading the books about Cordelia first is the way to go (for one you get to laugh and say "I know where Miles got that").

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

pup

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:13 pm »
Bujold rocks

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 07:34:07 pm »
Welcome, Pup!  Have you read Passages yet?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:25 pm »
I loved Cordelia's Honor. The Miles books were good and I enjoyed them but of all the LMB books I've read they're not my favorites.
Hurog Means Dragon.

pence

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 02:34:40 pm »
I found the Sharing Knife books fun but much lighter than her other books.  The theology in the Chalion books is fascinating.  I've noticed that Paladin of Souls resonates more with my older friends - those of us who have gotten to that 'that book is closed, how do I figure out the new plot of my life' stage!
These three books made me realize that her stories all have betrayal (s-large and small) as an underlying theme.  Once it hit me with these, I was able to go back and see the thread in her other books.

Thea

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 08:21:48 pm »
I personally can't wait until she gets back to the world in Challion.
I am especially sad that she can't get the woman who read Paladin of Souls for any more books, as she died in a terrible accident here in Washington State.

I like the Sharing Knife, but I don't feel the deep connection in them that I have felt in her other books.

I do agree that betrayal is a deep theme.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 09:04:08 pm »
Was that the woman who drowned in her cellar when the flooding hit last winter?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 12:36:57 pm »
I'm confused - who is this woman you're talking about?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Thea

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 02:54:29 pm »
Patti L - Yes,
Cerulean -
Kate Reading was the reader's name. She was caught in the flood when it came up in her basement.
This page has her reading
http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/search.cfm?search=paladin+of+souls

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »
Oh, you're talking about the person who recorded the audiobook - I couldn't figure out what was so special about one reader out of thousands!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 07:43:32 pm »
Sorry, Cerulean.  That made the local news, so Thea & I had a common referent that you didn't.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:18 am »
I really like Ms. Bujold's SF Vorkosigan books and the main character of most of them (Miles) has to be one of the more original male leads in science fiction.  The only other thing of her's I have read are the first two Sharing Knife books, which I have to admit I didn't enjoy as much (I have not even gotten around to picking up the third book (Passage) although I may once the less expensive paperback edition comes out.  I just don't find the characters of these books as engaging as those in the Vorkosigan series.
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."