Author Topic: Lois McMaster Bujold  (Read 56455 times)

Thea

Re: Lois McMaster Bujold
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:58 am »
My friend recorded this and has permission from Lois to put it up on her fan site.
My husband is going to help her with the posting and editing of it - so maybe you too can enjoy what Patti and I heard  ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 10:53:38 am »
Oh, it came out?  Lovely!  How are you doing today?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Thea

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:20 pm »
Pretty ragged but I loved the book  ;D
And I had so much fun last night - I love Lois McMaster Bujold!!!!!

And Eric has been eating your cake  :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »
Hope he stuck one pair of those cupcakes in the freezer for you.

Oh, and partly to stay on topic, but mostly because I remembered it:
one of the questions asked was which, if any, of her books would she want to see/least object to seeing as a movie, and in what style/film school/i don't know what to call it.

She said she thought Falling Free would make a good anime movie.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:08:50 pm by Patti L. »

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:06 pm »
Here's a link to an article about Bujold in the Star Tribune of Minneapolis*St. Paul.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/books/18174439.html

The article seems short, but you will see a lot in the sidebar, including a bio, her picture, and links to an audio file of her reading an excerpt from her latest book and some of her discussion about specific books. That last link is several pages on different books.  I have not yet gotten all the way through, but thought I'd post this so others can enjoy too.

Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »
Very cool - thanks Demeter!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 09:20:23 am »
So I picked up The Sharing Knife: Beguilement. I was curious because you all seemed so positive and loved LMB and I'd never read anything by her before. I couldn't put it down, I started it a few hours ago and just finished it. I'm off to do a book run later to snag the second and third in the series. Curses that the fourth isn't out until '09.  :P

Thanks for the great rec everyone!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 09:27:48 am »
Wow, I'm in trouble now!  That's 2 people in 10 minutes claiming that I'm a pusher!  And in multiple styles of addictive matter.  Here, books, there, chocolate.  And people wonder why I get obsessed over the Wrede QABTCC?  2 (clap) 2 (clap) 2 addictions in one! <BEG>

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 09:31:03 am »
Well...if it looks like a pusher and sounds like a pusher... ;)

Seriously awesome book though. Great worldbuiding story, funny, touching and romantic. I loved it.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:07 pm »
Read the Curse of Chalion today. Enjoyed it very much. I picked up a couple more of her books today as well. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:22 pm »
Ahh, excellent. 
I'll tell you true, there are 2 of hers that don't thrill me; Falling Free, & The Spirit Ring.  But that's my tastes, you may enjoy the heck out of them.
My oldest sister didn't like the Vorverse, except the 'Imp Mil Everything!'.  I have an urge to get a polo shirt embroidered for her with her name as foreman of 'The Imp Mill', with a water wheel turning out little pointy-eared grinners.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:44 am »
So glad you loved it, Elle. She's such a compelling writer. Every word is so perfectly crafted. I think it's wonderful that she has three different universes that are all wonderful but so different, too.

I'll ditto Patti's comments - those are the only two I didn't particularly care for, either. It's a rare LMB book that I don't inhale and just adore.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 02:57:38 am »
I love Bujold's books.  Though I haven't been able to get myself through her fantasy, it just doesn't appeal to me as much as her science fiction.  But then, I adore Miles as a character, which may have something to do with it.  I fallen behind in the Vorkosigan stories though...  I've still read most of them.  And they are books that I can read again and again and again.

The fantasy that she has written doesn't hold quite the same appeal to me.  But maybe I just need to force myself through one of the books to get myself hooked. :)

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 09:13:19 am »
Well, as you can see by what we've written before, the subjects/settings of her fantasies can dictate whether you like them.  Now, the 3-700 year back Italian setting of "The Spirit Ring", I think threw me off, I didn't get into it.  But the Chalion series is not this world, although some of what she used to create it was a class in the history of Spain during the Inquisition.  And the "Sharing Knife" series are still being debated as to whether they're fantasy or sf.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 04:03:38 pm »
I started reading several of her series other than the Miles books, and I felt that it just didn't fit her style as well.  Maybe I've just come to associate her style with the Miles books.  The setting isn't such that it should bug me...

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!