Author Topic: Steven Erikson  (Read 4640 times)

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
Steven Erikson
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:30 pm »
Really surprised there isn't a thread for this author already! I just started reading this series because my brother gave me Gardens of the Moon to read. It started off a bit slow then picked up and I couldn't put it down. Read the second book, Deadhouse Gates and now I am on the third Memories of Ice. I am very much enjoying this series. I ordered the rest of the books from Amazon and they should get here soon.

I love this book series for the sheer epic scope of it. It covers so much territory and so much detail. Highly recommended for people who like dark fantasy. Strongly not recommended for the squeamish. Insane amounts of violence and some very disturbing things happen within these pages!

Anomander Rake is probably the most awesome character I have ever read about for sheer powerfulness. Son of a Goddes, is a Soletaken shape shifter who can turn into a black dragon. Wields a sword that can kill Gods, he in fact killed the person who made it, a Elder god with said sword. Oh and the sword, if it kills you, you don't get to pass on to the afterlife, your trapped inside the sword forever pulling the wagon that contains his warren. That is a badass character.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
Re: Steven Erikson
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:38:10 am »
OMG, I had forgotten about this. I read Garden of the moon when it was published, but again some time went by befort the next one and somehow I never got the second one  :(
I remember really liking it. Hmmm  Another for the TBR pile.  It keeps growing.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:12:54 pm »
I read book 1 and 2 just this week and absolutley loved them! Both of my brothers are also hooked  >D. I found the first half of the first book a bit confusing as I learnt all the characters' names but with frequent references to the character list I managed quite well.

The best and worst aspect of these books are the same thing. There is so much detail that the story is impossibly rich but the detail also makes the books very long. So I'm currently taking a break but I have book three and will probably start it fairly soon.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »
Another convert! I am currently on book 8, book 9 is due to be released in January. With book 10, the final book sometime in the next few years. :(

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »
*grumbling*

I went looking for Book 3 to bring to work only to discover that my brother is half way through it  >:(
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:38:54 pm »
Yeah, my brother has been doing that too. Were both on book 8, and I have to keep snagging it back from him. I have been reading it less than him, because I go to school and he does nothing. 9)